C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
yup..

I know some NYI fans are being optimistic and saying maybe he isn't playing cause he has a spot secured and management want to see what others can do now... but that is so far from whats going on. If he had a spot secured, he would be absolutely playing cause NYI management obviously want to win this opening game and obviously would be dressing Barzal if he was the better option

Yeah I'm pretty sure no one thinks that's it. We all know that the coaches, for right or wrong, simply prefer to play Prince and Bailey.

What they'll likely do is keep him around for a week or two to go to "meetings" and practice with the pros and maybe get in like 3 games, and then they'll send him back.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Which would explain why they're already putting Beauvillier in the lineup, they don't want to screw him up! :laugh:

Or maybe he earned a look? Isles rarely rush their prospects. He didn't look horrible, looked like a guy that needs to get stronger, and used to the speed of the NHL. Barzal and Beauvillier would both be better off in the AHL than Juniors. I still think Barzal ends up making the team this year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Only 10 mins of ice tonight. Capuano really does hate playing young guys. Got some PP time and also had 3 penalties. Looked good some shifts but also the NYI as a whole looked bad IMO

Honestly cant see him sticking with NYI if he's in the pressbox or only 10 mins of ice.

We will see though.

After watching some of these fun young teams on TV so far this year, I kinda wish Barzal was with one of those teams!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Only 10 mins of ice tonight. Capuano really does hate playing young guys. Got some PP time and also had 3 penalties. Looked good some shifts but also the NYI as a whole looked bad IMO

Honestly cant see him sticking with NYI if he's in the pressbox or only 10 mins of ice.

We will see though.

After watching some of these fun young teams on TV so far this year, I kinda wish Barzal was with one of those teams!!!

Isles on are off to a 0-2 start. Changes will be in the offing if things continue, this usually starts with coaching. You do not wish this on anyone, but it may not be a bad thing for the Isles and Barzal watching how so many young players are playing in the NHL right now.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Isles on are off to a 0-2 start. Changes will be in the offing if things continue, this usually starts with coaching. You do not wish this on anyone, but it may not be a bad thing for the Isles and Barzal watching how so many young players are playing in the NHL right now.

Christ I hope so.

I almost wish Barzal and Beau hadn't made the team so Cappy couldn't get his hands on them. Hopeully he's fired before he can do any real damage to their future.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I prefer Barzal Stay. I think the kid can handle it. He's clearly the 2nd most skilled player on the team after Tavares. There's going to be growing pains but I think the kid is ready. He looks terrific in the offensive zone and on the PP

Marlander93

Nov 22, 2015

We will see though.

You really don't deserve more than 10 minutes if you take 3 minor penalties.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Idk that he didn't "deserve" it, but it is tough to get on the ice more than that when you spend 6 min in the box :laugh:

but to be serious, out of those 6 mins if he didn't get those pims, it woulda probably only given him another min-min and a half or so more total ice time. Pointless keeping him around playing very low 4th line mins

I know some NYI fans are saying he was the most skilled player on the team in those 10 mins, but obviously the coach didn't feel the same way if he played him that little. And unfortunately its up to the coach to play him and obviously he thought otherwise

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
but to be serious, out of those 6 mins if he didn't get those pims, it woulda probably only given him another min-min and a half or so more total ice time. Pointless keeping him around playing very low 4th line mins

I know some NYI fans are saying he was the most skilled player on the team in those 10 mins, but obviously the coach didn't feel the same way if he played him that little. And unfortunately its up to the coach to play him and obviously he thought otherwise

Our coach does not care about skill. An actual quote from him last year is "I don't evaluate skill, I evaluate habits". This is the same guy that let Pulock and Pelech rot in the press box and AHL to let Brian Strait play 16 minutes a night.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Our coach does not care about skill. An actual quote from him last year is "I don't evaluate skill, I evaluate habits". This is the same guy that let Pulock and Pelech rot in the press box and AHL to let Brian Strait play 16 minutes a night.

I just hope this madness ends and he's back in junior. I just have a feeling it will be a terrible decision for his future keeping him up this year. Just please end this Garth and send him back!!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't understand why he's up there if he's going to be scratched frequently.

He was not so dominant in junior that he's way past the league. He should just go back.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

He was not so dominant in junior that he's way past the league. He should just go back.

Healthy scratch, 10 mins of ice, healthy scratch so far in 3 ganes. ..

Seattle better polish up his dressing room stall cause I assume he will be back very soon

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland

Slashing, interference and tripping penalty, eh, didn't watch the game, but having a low ice-time shouldn't be a shock. :)

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Because the Isles staff has an obsession with having young players go to "meetings" and be around the NHL team before they ever really get a shot. It's really dumb.

But for some reason it seems to be catching on. Sergachev and Chabot come to mind as recent examples of other teams doing a similar thing.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Because the Isles staff has an obsession with having young players go to "meetings" and be around the NHL team before they ever really get a shot. It's really dumb.

But for some reason it seems to be catching on. Sergachev and Chabot come to mind as recent examples of other teams doing a similar thing.

I'd say it's time to go back to junior now.. I agree it's good to be around pros and meetings and all that for a while but it gets to a point where he needs to play some hockey now. It's already the middle of October.. let's get a move on.. either s#&@ or get off the pot NYI management

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

To be honest, I don't think it becomes an issue unless it carries into November. I'm starting to expect him on the WJC squad and ending up back in Seattle.

For anyone who watched, were the penalties a resault of him compounding a mistake (or saving a goal) or stupid retalitories?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
To be honest, I don't think it becomes an issue unless it carries into November. I'm starting to expect him on the WJC squad and ending up back in Seattle.

For anyone who watched, were the penalties a resault of him compounding a mistake (or saving a goal) or stupid retalitories?

First one was slashing Ovechkin who was in the slot, second one was a first game brainfart (played the puck before leaving the box, lol), third one was a questionable tripping call in a puck battle.

Barzal will be fine.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Penalties were kinda weakish.. except for the odd decision he made playing puck from the penalty box. Capuano gave him quite the glare after that mishap by him lol.. u could see the hate he has for youth with that stare haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad