C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He is not only skilled but also gritty. I like that mix. But what he does in SHL should not be of any notice due to how weak SHL is. But we are seeing in this WC how truly good he is. He was not impressing during U20 WJC thought. Hopefully we see him during U20 WJC in summer.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
He is not only skilled but also gritty. I like that mix. But what he does in SHL should not be of any notice due to how weak SHL is. But we are seeing in this WC how truly good he is. He was not impressing during U20 WJC thought. Hopefully we see him during U20 WJC in summer.

how weak the SHL is? its a very difficult league as a draft eligible player to produce in lol...

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021

The SHL is the third or fourth best league in the world. It should very well be of notice what he does there lmao.

What a ridiculous statement

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Does Kasper have any topline upside, or does he probably top out as a 2C?

If his upside is as a 2C then I would think that Yzerman would be able to spot a higher upside player at #8?
I don't buy that either. I bet he was looking at Kasper when Detroit was doing well in the standings, and he thought he'd have something like a #13 or #14 pick instead of #8.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
After Wright, Cooley and Geekie, there is a lack of center.

Savoie will probably be shifted to the wing, the other American attackers have rather winger profiles.

A team can reach a center like him.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I agree with your statement that SHL is weak league. I think that French League Magnus is better, its basically little Quebec.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

The SHL isn’t weak, plus he played for Rogle, which is a veteran-heavy contender.

And considering his horrible team at the WJC, I think he stood out in a very good way.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He’s 13th overall on my list. Depending on whether you call Nazar or Savoie centers, he’s my 5th-7th rated center.

1. Wright (C)
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley (C)
4. Nemec
5. Jiricek
6. Savoie (C/W)
7. Gauthier (C)
8. Geekie (C)
9. Nazar (C/W)
10. Kemell
11. Mateychuk
12. Mintyukov
13. Kasper (C)

I love Kasper. One of my favorites. But 3rd best center is a stretch.
My list is pretty similar except without Geekie. But I would say Kasper is the third best C because the rest are wingers in my eyes. I think Kasper is going to Detroit at 8.

Reactions: Guadana and Al48

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
It's really early but as of right now I got him going to Detroit as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al48

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The SHL is the third or fourth best league in the world. It should very well be of notice what he does there lmao.

What a ridiculous statement

Second best. The AHL ain't what it used to be, and a lot of the better non-Russian KHL players left the league for other euro leagues at the end of February.

Also what people aren't noting about Kasper is he led forwards on his team in the playoffs with a 53.1% corsi. The kid may not be a future 70+ point offensive #1 center but I don't think more than 1 or 2 of those guys come out of this draft anyway. Kasper projects as a really solid 2-way center that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Every team needs those guys.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I think he’ll be picked early, but I wouldn’t pick him too early. Don’t think he’s skilled enough to be any more than middle six, and that’s a ceiling.

And sometimes that’s ok. Not every top 10 pick is a 1st liner or 1st pair D. This draft looks like it will have a lot of depth players come out if it.

I’m also not sure I would consider Kasper low skill. He’s definitely not super flashy but there’s a lot to like overall. Anthony Martineau compares him to a more skilled Danault. Even if he only becomes as good as Danault that’s still an important player to a team. 40-50 point shutdown centers aren’t exactly easy to find.

Hockey30 | Vidéo: Voilà pourquoi Kent Hughes a rencontré Marco Kasper en Finlande...

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And sometimes that’s ok. Not every top 10 pick is a 1st liner or 1st pair D. This draft looks like it will have a lot of depth players come out if it.

I’m also not sure I would consider Kasper low skill. He’s definitely not super flashy but there’s a lot to like overall. Anthony Martineau compares him to a more skilled Danault. Even if he only becomes as good as Danault that’s still an important player to a team. 40-50 point shutdown centers aren’t exactly easy to find.

Hockey30 | Vidéo: Voilà pourquoi Kent Hughes a rencontré Marco Kasper en Finlande...

I’m not taking a player top 20 that I don’t think has potential to be a top half of the league player. There are enough in each draft with that potential that I wouldn’t pick someone safe to be a 3rd line center at pick 15.

Reactions: Nabrules

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I’m not taking a player top 20 that I don’t think has potential to be a top half of the league player. There are enough in each draft with that potential that I wouldn’t pick someone safe to be a 3rd line center at pick 15.

A 50 point shutdown center IS top half.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I wouldn't compare him to Danault. And he resembles Howden in no way that I can think of. I don't think of him as a two way center. I know he's trying to work on that, and he's trying to project that image, but it has neither historically been the case nor is it the case this year. Even, as I understand his defensive game held him back from getting time in the SHL for much of the year. Before he got benched and then came back at the end of the season, they were running him in a set up where he'd play on the 4th line, sometimes the 3rd line, but always played the PP (an of course, never on the PK).

Kasper is actually kinda big. He does not play big at all. He doesn't really protect the puck with his body, almost ever that I can recall, he's almost entirely finesse. He attempts hits from time to time but it would be inaccurate to call him a physical player. He grew to 6'1" rather recently, he still plays in many ways like he did when he was 5'10" 150 pounds. He also isn't generally known for his shot, despite a couple good blasts. These are just the things he is not good at right now. They're liable to change, I certainly hope they do change, but talking about his game right now.

So what is he? He's extremely dynamic with the puck. And he's a pest. In his own end less so, as has been noted, but whenever the play is moving down the ice he is buzzing everywhere. If you like Corsi, you will like Kasper, because he does great at that thing. The player he reminds me of the most stylistically, at least recently, is Brandon Hagel, but bigger and maybe a bit faster.

We'll see how much his game develops, and as he develops, how much the other aspects of his game develop. His puck protection skills, his physicality and battle winning skills, his shot. If he could improve those a lot, then obviously the ceiling is even higher.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He absolutely does have that upside, but he for sure ain’t going in top 10.

I wouldnt say for sure. He was ranked 17 by Bob at midterm, and has only improved down the stretch.

I think he’ll be picked early, but I wouldn’t pick him too early. Don’t think he’s skilled enough to be any more than middle six, and that’s a ceiling.

I see this said about guys all the time who arent flashy. Same thing was said about Larkin at the draft but look at him now. Doesnt play a super skilled game but is a workhorse who does everything and is a top line center

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I wouldnt say for sure. He was ranked 17 by Bob at midterm, and has only improved down the stretch.

I see this said about guys all the time who arent flashy. Same thing was said about Larkin at the draft but look at him now. Doesnt play a super skilled game but is a workhorse who does everything and is a top line center

It's the only thing that I can see holding him down in ranking. His pro play is quite promising, and on an overall tools assessment he's a serious prospect. But he doesn't have an example of offensive dominance at any (serious) level just yet. So any projections to a first line center are speculative at the moment.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I honestly believe this kid has a lot more offense in him, he's been playing against men steadily for the past season and a half. He's a strong skater with a heavy shot. Hes excels of the cycle and drives consistently to the net while playing a 2 way game. His playmaking abilities is his only concern.

As a wings fan without a doubt id be more than happy if we picked him at 8.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I don’t see how anyone can look at what he did in the SHL playoffs and at worlds and say he doesn’t have good offensive potential. I really think he has potential to be a 70 point guy with good wingers. He won’t be the flashiest but I think he’s the type that can get the job done when needed. My player comparison would be maybe a better erikkson ek if things go right. Also didnt he just turn 18 within the past two months?

Reactions: Guadana and Kalv

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don’t see how anyone can look at what he did in the SHL playoffs and at worlds and say he doesn’t have good offensive potential. I really think he has potential to be a 70 point guy with good wingers. He won’t be the flashiest but I think he’s the type that can get the job done when needed. My player comparison would be maybe a better erikkson ek if things go right. Also didnt he just turn 18 within the past two months?
SHL is not a top 5 league in Europe. So dont puch too much faith in what he did in SHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad