C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
My list is pretty similar except without Geekie. But I would say Kasper is the third best C because the rest are wingers in my eyes. I think Kasper is going to Detroit at 8.
Supposedly Kris Draper, Detroit's director of scouting, has been out to see him several times this year. Including with Team Austria at the WC just the other day. So if Detroit isn't interested, they could have fooled me.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Supposedly Kris Draper, Detroit's director of scouting, has been out to see him several times this year. Including with Team Austria at the WC just the other day. So if Detroit isn't interested, they could have fooled me.

Maybe this is Detroit's plan?

Fool Columbus, Philadelphia and Ottawa into thinking Detroit will pick Kasper at 8, so those teams all think they're missing out on something. Then...one of them makes the pick and Detroit walks away with Matt Savoie?

That seems like the kind of 4D chess move that Yzerman would make.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Second best. The AHL ain't what it used to be, and a lot of the better non-Russian KHL players left the league for other euro leagues at the end of February.

Also what people aren't noting about Kasper is he led forwards on his team in the playoffs with a 53.1% corsi. The kid may not be a future 70+ point offensive #1 center but I don't think more than 1 or 2 of those guys come out of this draft anyway. Kasper projects as a really solid 2-way center that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Every team needs those guys.
Similar style of play to a guy like Lundell I think. Very good hockey sense. great athlete

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
1: KHL
2: NLA
3: Liiga
4: Czech league
5: DEL
6: Ebel
7: SHL
8: Slovakian Leauge

Satisfied now?

You've got this all wrong, really is:

7: Slovakian League
8: VHL
9: Mestis
10: AlpsHL
11: Sokovia League or wherever it is Kopitar is from
12: Serie A
13: AIHL
14: NZIHL (Only league that allows sheep for some reason)
15: Nacionaline ledo ritulio lyga
16: Czech Broomball
17-23: Top seven leagues in Mexico
24: Allsvenskan
25: SHL

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

My elite team in adult league on Sunday nights is better than the SHL.
Geez. Can we keep the level up please?

You guys are exaggerating what im saying. I put SHL as nr 8, not 25. Thats a major difference.

Anyways, Austria had some good NHLers throught the years in Vanek, Grabner, Raffl. Hopefully Rossi and Kasper is next.

Reactions: Wyzer Plan

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Assist today against Great Britain. What's not show in the play is that he was carrying it in for a zone entry but Lebler was (probably 4 meters) offsides so this is after he pulled up at the blue line, turned back and passed to spring Haudum into the offensive zone. He also drew the penalty that lead to the first goal.

I still don't agree with people comparing him to physically mature 2 way centers. He is very far from physically mature or defensively minded. Neither would I characterize his game as simple. I think he is a dynamic offensive forward, with a lot of potential for growth in every area. I do think it's fair to say he hasn't dominated in any league he's been in, perhaps his development has been rushed and he would benefit from playing more with his age group and less with adults, who are harder to style on and where he might develop such habits as going to the net too quickly, or be afraid to try dekes and dangles (which he still does). I think the fact that he scored a lot of dirty powerplay goals on Rogle is probably the reason for this reputation, and part of it may be poor habits developed from playing up too fast. Anyone who watches his highlights only probably thinks he's exclusively this net crasher power forward guy.

If you watch him with Austria. He's the one who's skating the puck down the ice. He's the one who does the zone entries, case and point the above assist. He's the one who is skating the puck in circles in the offensive zone. And he does that all while being much skinnier and weaker than his opponents and not really having the strength to protect the puck with his body. Which he makes up for by doing a lot of turns and a lot of edge work, and smart passing (sometimes also by turning it over haha). It's quite possible that he doesn't play that same role for Rogle in the SHL, but we're also talking about a kid who turned 18 just a month ago in the middle of the SHL playoffs.

Whether it's the SHL playoffs or it's the Senior Men's WC, he's not getting all these corsi numbers by being a grinder. He is the one driving play. And so the "low ceiling" tag I think is poorly applied. On the one hand, if you're drafting him expecting a two-way rugged center who goes hard in his own end, you might be pretty disappointed with what you get. But if you're looking for a dynamic playmaker, you may have come to the right place.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Assist today against Great Britain. What's not show in the play is that he was carrying it in for a zone entry but Lebler was (probably 4 meters) offsides so this is after he pulled up at the blue line, turned back and passed to spring Haudum into the offensive zone. He also drew the penalty that lead to the first goal.

I still don't agree with people comparing him to physically mature 2 way centers. He is very far from physically mature or defensively minded. Neither would I characterize his game as simple. I think he is a dynamic offensive forward, with a lot of potential for growth in every area. I do think it's fair to say he hasn't dominated in any league he's been in, perhaps his development has been rushed and he would benefit from playing more with his age group and less with adults, who are harder to style on and where he might develop such habits as going to the net too quickly, or be afraid to try dekes and dangles (which he still does). I think the fact that he scored a lot of dirty powerplay goals on Rogle is probably the reason for this reputation, and part of it may be poor habits developed from playing up too fast. Anyone who watches his highlights only probably thinks he's exclusively this net crasher power forward guy.

If you watch him with Austria. He's the one who's skating the puck down the ice. He's the one who does the zone entries, case and point the above assist. He's the one who is skating the puck in circles in the offensive zone. And he does that all while being much skinnier and weaker than his opponents and not really having the strength to protect the puck with his body. Which he makes up for by doing a lot of turns and a lot of edge work, and smart passing (sometimes also by turning it over haha). It's quite possible that he doesn't play that same role for Rogle in the SHL, but we're also talking about a kid who turned 18 just a month ago in the middle of the SHL playoffs.

Whether it's the SHL playoffs or it's the Senior Men's WC, he's not getting all these corsi numbers by being a grinder. He is the one driving play. And so the "low ceiling" tag I think is poorly applied. On the one hand, if you're drafting him expecting a two-way rugged center who goes hard in his own end, you might be pretty disappointed with what you get. But if you're looking for a dynamic playmaker, you may have come to the right place.

If he had a better scoring touch, it almost sounds like you're describing Rosen, who went 14th in last year's draft.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Kasper should be a lottery pick. Not sure how high of a ceiling he has but this WC has really solidified his stock for me. With the right development this is easily a middle-six center. Let him go back to SHL for a season and then AHL and see what he’s got. I think he’ll be in the NHL some day thanks to a great motor, instincts, and ability to drive play himself.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018

I am surprised that SHL cracked top 25.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
And sometimes that’s ok. Not every top 10 pick is a 1st liner or 1st pair D. This draft looks like it will have a lot of depth players come out if it.

I’m also not sure I would consider Kasper low skill. He’s definitely not super flashy but there’s a lot to like overall. Anthony Martineau compares him to a more skilled Danault. Even if he only becomes as good as Danault that’s still an important player to a team. 40-50 point shutdown centers aren’t exactly easy to find.

Hockey30 | Vidéo: Voilà pourquoi Kent Hughes a rencontré Marco Kasper en Finlande...

Please don't ever link Hockey30 in this forum again. Hockey30 is by far the worst hockey related site.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
If he had a better scoring touch, it almost sounds like you're describing Rosen, who went 14th in last year's draft.
I really like that comparison. I refreshed with a scouting video and a lot of it felt similar to how I understand him to be. Ironically, that scout sees him more in line with how others see him, but I'll wait for the video to get his full thoughts because I don't know how far along he is in the film study process.

Rosen is listed at 180cm/74kg. That's exactly what Kasper was prior to last summer. Now, he hit a late growth spurt last summer, and he also spent a lot of time in the gym on a bulk program. But just because you get bigger overnight, doesn't mean you learn to protect the puck overnight. He still plays as though he were 180cm/74kg, even though he's up to 185/83.

There was a funny moment(s) in the last game against GB that actually happened twice if I recall which illustrates what I'm describing. Kasper's go to move to avoid defensive pressure is to turn and essentially cut away. He was carrying the puck both times in behind the opposing net, and he got fronted by a defenseman, and he cuts away, and then another defenseman fronts him from the other side, and he cuts back, he sees the defenseman is still there, he cuts again and loses the puck. And he lost the puck at least twice this way. It's a funny blooper but it sort of illustrates the fact that he can't simply move past defensemen by putting his body in between the defenseman and the puck and protecting it. It's not a move in his arsenal in the senior level, and his inability to do so leads to turnovers.

I could be totally off base, and I get that. Because a lot of people are describing him as "physical tough guy." I won't pretend to be unbiased at all. But I don't think I am. And I think the fact that scouts are starting to see what I see, rather than their initial position, is why he has been rising in the rankings recently. There's a difference between a power forward and a pest. A pest he absolutely is. But while he's willing to put himself in greasy places (perhaps this is different from Rosen)...he's mostly getting knocked around. It's kinda in the process of getting knocked around that he creates so much havoc that things happen, but he's not out there winning battles and pushing people around. At least in my viewings, the vast majority of times he battles for the puck with adults, he loses.

He absolutely does not have Rosen's shot, as you point out. He's not going to be a goal-scorer in that way. What he may have that is slightly different is that he is bigger. As he develops physically, he will learn to protect the puck with his body. And he will eventually be able to win battles for the puck. If he can protect the puck, win battles for the puck, these are puck possession increasing things. For a guy who already has a great Corsi, you add those things to his arsenal, personally I'm excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad