C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Can’t see him being higher up than a 3rd liner at peak
Nah, I think he's going to be that guy where people say "He's just a glorified 3rd liner" because they don't understand why he plays on a scoring line. He won't be the guy who makes the big scoring plays, but he'll be the guy who gets pucks and drives play for wingers who aren't great possession wise.

And come playoff time, he'll be solid gold. He's going to batter the hell out of defensemen on the forecheck.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He reminds me a bit of Matthew Beniers when he played for the USNTDP.

Great speed and hustle, good size, nice hands, smart, more of a playmaker due to a mediocre shot.

Beniers was a late-birthday so he got an extra year of development to impress scouts before being drafted compared to Kasper. If he wasn't a late birthday and was drafted out of the USNTDP he probably would have went where Kasper is projected instead of 2nd OVR.

Beniers had the tools and skillset to be a top 6 forward in his 17YR old season with the USNTDP, but it took until his 18YR old season at Michigan for him to put it all together and flourish offensively. May be the same for Kasper.

Could see CBJ, OTT or DET taking him in the top 8 hoping his impressive finish to the year is going to extend into next season and his offensive game is going to take off in 2022/23.

Last edited:

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I bet he’s in the cards for CBJ as well
He is a younger Boone Jenner. Defensively responsible, great forechecker, great hands, plays in the hard areas and high hockey IQ along with leadership skills. He is a faster & a better skater than Boone (Boone isn’t bad by any means) CBJ definitely values those traits.

BTW - Boone can play anywhere in the line-up. Very valuable.

He is young - his scoring touch will rise, won’t be a 40 goal guy but could see a 25-25 guy and your 2nd line shut down center.

I was hoping he would be there at 12 for our 2nd pick but I doubt he makes it past 9OA - very safe floor

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bo Horvat is a good comparsion for Kasper and I can definitely see him going in the top 10 because those types of players are hard to acquire. I would love to have another Bo Horvat on the Canucks fwiw

Definitely feels like a good comparison, and i could absolutely see Kasper going higher than a lot of people expect, for exactly the same sort of reasons Horvat went a bit higher than a lot of "projections".

May not have the absolute flashiest of pure offensive "upside", but the sort of player Kasper projects as is hugely valuable, and those types often seem to end up outpacing their expected offensive output anyway.

Or he could be a Barret Hayton style "overdraft" in that mold. Also picked higher than a lot of projections/rankings, for those same similar reasons. Teams desperate to find that sort of player and willing to squint really hard to try to see that kind of rock solid two-way #2C upside.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Or he could be a Barret Hayton style "overdraft" in that mold. Also picked higher than a lot of projections/rankings, for those same similar reasons. Teams desperate to find that sort of player and willing to squint really hard to try to see that kind of rock solid two-way #2C upside.

Hayton fan here. He hasn't posted flashy numbers yet, but he's going to surprise a lot of people who haven't been watching him.

and now, back to Marco Kasper discussion.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Less explosive Beniers imo. Every team would love to have him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wasn't beyond shocked when it happened. I thought he'd go in the 9-11 range.

And Hampus Lindholm
Yep you hear about guys like this rising, leading up to the draft. Internet moks are slow to catch on and dont raise them as high as actual NHL scouts do and then you get these good players considered "reaches". Scheifele was another one.

When you read Pronmans mock draft with an NHL exec and he has Kasper going 7th, I tend to believe its the right range moreso than the 15ish hes risen to on public mock drafts

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hayton fan here. He hasn't posted flashy numbers yet, but he's going to surprise a lot of people who haven't been watching him.

and now, back to Marco Kasper discussion.

Fair enough. I can't say i payed much attention to Hayton (or really anything Coyotes-related) last season.

But i think that just goes to the general point, about why guys like Kasper tend to get drafted higher than a lot of people expect. Even if it takes them a minute, there's always that potential that they emerge into an important and hugely valued player whose impact outstrips their raw scoresheet performance.

It's why even when Arizona arguably "overdrafted" Hayton...i didn't really blink at it. It's one of those sort of "gambles" that can paradoxically be both "safer" on the "floor" side of things, and simultaneously have much bigger "upside" than the flashier dazzling "pure offense skill guys" who end up very "Top-6 or Bust".

It's easy to scoff at the notion of "Pro Style Game" or whatever. But that's what Kasper has the potential be imo, and there are numerous examples of those types of prospects outperforming "projections" and "expectations" when their mode of production just aligns with the pro game better.

Reactions: lanky

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He pretty much checks every box for how Ottawa drafts. Good size, extremely high motor, competitor, athletic, high floor, projectable type player.

Good chance he's the pick at 7 if the Senators can't find a trade to improve their club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad