C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He pretty much checks every box for how Ottawa drafts. Good size, extremely high motor, competitor, athletic, high floor, projectable type player.

Good chance he's the pick at 7 if the Senators can't find a trade to improve their club.

I think Gauthier and Kasper both seem similar to how Ottawa likes to draft. After Boucher last year and Stutzle/Norris in the system, I could see the sens going more high skill though with someone like Kemmel

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think Gauthier and Kasper both seem similar to how Ottawa likes to draft. After Boucher last year and Stutzle/Norris in the system, I could see the sens going more high skill though with someone like Kemmel
I'm sure the Sens are wild for Cutter Gauthier, but I don't expect him to be available at 7. Pierre Dorion and Trent Mann would sprint up to the podium to make that pick.

I can't see them taking Kemell, really. Ottawa have been very transparent about their unwillingness to take risks on flashy skill, particularly on smaller players. For example, since 2017 the Senators have made 34 draft picks and only 1 of those players stands shorter than 6'0" - that's a very strong size bias. I think Kemell's 5'9.5" measurement really hurts him in this case. Small wingers that don't project as special talents commonly slip down the board on draft night.

Likely the first 6 picks will be Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek and Gauthier in some order. So, much like last year, Ottawa's pick is where things could get a bit weird. At that point, most of the consensus 'best players' [Kemell, Savoie, Lekkerimaki] are guys that the Sens aren't likely to have as the 7th name on their board.

I think Kasper is a fit, and I don't even really view it as much of a reach. He's an appealing player - easily projectable into the NHL.

Reactions: SquidNasty

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I'm sure the Sens are wild for Cutter Gauthier, but I don't expect him to be available at 7. Pierre Dorion and Trent Mann would sprint up to the podium to make that pick.

I can't see them taking Kemell, really. Ottawa have been very transparent about their unwillingness to take risks on flashy skill, particularly on smaller players. For example, since 2017 the Senators have made 34 draft picks and only 1 of those players stands shorter than 6'0" - that's a very strong size bias. I think Kemell's 5'9.5" measurement really hurts him in this case. Small wingers that don't project as special talents commonly slip down the board on draft night.

Likely the first 6 picks will be Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Jiricek and Gauthier in some order. So, much like last year, Ottawa's pick is where things could get a bit weird. At that point, most of the consensus 'best players' [Kemell, Savoie, Lekkerimaki] are guys that the Sens aren't likely to have as the 7th name on their board.

I think Kasper is a fit, and I don't even really view it as much of a reach. He's an appealing player - easily projectable into the NHL.

it's unfortunate because a lot of us fans are constantly speculating trades for a Debrincat or Konecny type, and now one is going to seemingly be sitting there at the draft available to us and the management of the team has no interest. We are going to acquire our top 6 forward via trade (Fiala) and maybe just use Hamonic as our #4 D... which, does not inspire confidence...

having Travis Hamonic as your #4, Alex Formenton as your #2 LW and a tandem of Forsberg-Gustavsson likely doesn't get you to the playoffs...

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
One of the best players in the draft, was hoping he somehow fell, but of course yzerman wont let that happen.

Reactions: golffuul

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What makes Kasper low upside?
Not a high skill player. More of a straight line player who doesn't have huge scoring skills. I felt the same way about the Flyers pick at 5, but these types of big centers with size and skating do tend to go pretty high, so NHL teams do value these types of players.

But it's hard to question Stevie Y's track-record, so he may know better than everyone else. He is considered more of a low upside, high floor prospect by the consensus though.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Not a high skill player. More of a straight line player who doesn't have huge scoring skills. I felt the same way about the Flyers pick at 5, but these types of big centers with size and skating do tend to go pretty high, so NHL teams do value these types of players.

But it's hard to question Stevie Y's track-record, so he may know better than everyone else. He is considered more of a low upside, high floor prospect by the consensus though.

Dont agree with this, but guess we will see how this develops.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009

Have you watched him play? Kid was playing against men when he was 17. Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson and new Kasper. Damn its good to have Stevie back.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Agree with all of this. Him and Gauthier dont have the offensive upside of some guys who got picked after but have big bodies and are good skaters. Kinda suprised that Yzerman went this way but its hard to question him. I dont see a first liner but guaranteed good NHL player with such a great motor.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

I can understand the skepticism about his offense, but he's definitely a skilled player.

The way I see it, his lowest potential imo is being something like Darren Helm. But if he has hidden offense like how we saw with Seider, I can see him being like another Dylan Larkin.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Have you watched him play? Kid was playing against men when he was 17. Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson and new Kasper. Damn its good to have Stevie back.
Yes, I have.

I was answering the question posed. Not sure why you are mad that I was doing that.

I can understand the skepticism about his offense, but he's definitely a skilled player.
I said high skilled. Like it or not, not every player who is good is high skill. Kasper wasn't drafted to run a PP.

I think the consensus is that Kasper is not high-skill, and that if he hits his upside it'll be because of other areas he's good at. Not every player can be Raymond. Kasper is a different type of player. No shame in it.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman said during his post draft interview that Kasper has underrated skill. Few posters in this very thread may be proving Yzerman correct.

Raymond played in the SHL and put up a whopping 10 points. 17 year old kids aren't suppose to put up a crazy amount of points or they're going #1 overall in the draft.

Seeing Yzerman this excited about Kasper reminded me how excited he was about Seider. He's finding these diamonds over there. Seider played there, Raymond and now Kasper. Seems like he has a pretty solid system with the league over there.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yzerman said during his post draft interview that Kasper has underrated skill. Few posters in this very thread may be proving Yzerman correct.

Raymond played in the SHL and put up a whopping 10 points. 17 year old kids aren't suppose to put up a crazy amount of points or they're going #1 overall in the draft.

Seeing Yzerman this excited about Kasper reminded me how excited he was about Seider. He's finding these diamonds over there. Seider played there, Raymond and now Kasper. Seems like he has a pretty solid system with the league over there.

I believe someone posted that Kasper was a very ''Yzerman'' pick in this thread, and well, they were absolutely correct. To me, it's not that Kasper doesn't have offence, it's that the extent of his offence is unknown. Given the rest of the toolbox, though, I think the Kasper pick has a lot of potential for Detroit. At the very least, they will get a player, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad