C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I liked both the Seider and Raymond picks when they were made.
Kasper on the other hand was a big time reach. Dobber Prospects had this kid ranked 27th in this year's draft. Mackenzie had him at 17. I don't see anything special about his game. Yes he can play physical and has a high compete level but he looks like a slow skater with minimal offensive game. You don't spend your 8th overall pick on a player projected to be a bottom dweller enforcer type.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Wouldn't describe Kasper as a "slow skater", that's for sure

Somewhat fair to wonder about his ultimate offensive upside though, but his playoff production encourages me in that regard.

Reactions: r0bert8841

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kinda reminds me of Perry when he's in front of the net, he has that long reach. Sneaky strong on his skates too.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, he looks really slow and plodding in that tweet that is literally posted directly above the nonsensical post....also Bobby Mac had him at 10, not 17. If people are going to bitch, they should do the bare minimum at least. If Kasper doesnt make the roster in Detroit this season, I will guarantee that he makes it next. That's how confident I am in his game.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No one is projecting Kasper to be a "bottom dweller enforcer type".

Plenty of mocks had him going in the top ten. Pronman said some teams had him ranked #2 overall.

My hunch is you're just underwhelmed by his stats last season.

I don’t remember sir Bob saying anything about Kasper getting top3 looks.

I believe he will be a great player for Detroit

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This was just a bad pick by Detroit. Yet another example of Yzerman trying to look smarter than everyone else by making these bold picks which will backfire. You draft a slow skating forward who can't produce offensively when Savoie was there sitting in your lap.
Agree. Especially when it backfired so many times already, just look at Tampa.

*takes a look*

Waaaait a second...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This was just a bad pick by Detroit. Yet another example of Yzerman trying to look smarter than everyone else by making these bold picks which will backfire. You draft a slow skating forward who can't produce offensively when Savoie was there sitting in your lap.

Kasper can fly, it looks like you just haven't watched him yet.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure this is the player the Sens would have drafted at #7 if they had kept the pick. A very solid player, not a scoring superstar, but solid all around.

A bit like last year's draft (clear top 9), this year had a clear top 6, I liked the top 6 players best then after that a bit of a crap shoot.

Christien

May 1, 2010
This is the 2nd year in a row you've decided to bash Detroit's first round. I suggest you watch Kasper some more because he wasn't a bold pick and he's also a great skater.

Remember when you said this about Edvinsson:
Detroit with two headscratchers in this draft. You had the opportunity to draft Eklund and Wallstedt but instead chose Edvinson and Cossa??? It's bizarre. A perfect example of a GM trying to outsmart himself.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t remember sir Bob saying anything about Kasper getting top3 looks.

I believe he will be a great player for Detroit

Mckenzie said in his poll the highest Kasper was ranked was 5th. Pronman said predraft that the devils were discussing Kasper at 2nd overall as well (cant find the link right now). I havent seen a hard ranking where anyone put him out thereat 2nd overall though. Pronman interviewed an anonymous scout predraft who said he thinks hes a stud and if his team was in the top 5 he would be in the discussion

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I liked both the Seider and Raymond picks when they were made.
Kasper on the other hand was a big time reach. Dobber Prospects had this kid ranked 27th in this year's draft. Mackenzie had him at 17. I don't see anything special about his game. Yes he can play physical and has a high compete level but he looks like a slow skater with minimal offensive game. You don't spend your 8th overall pick on a player projected to be a bottom dweller enforcer type.
I don't follow prospects that closely. Could you link to a source that projected Kasper to be an "enforcer type?"

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Tell me who the best player taken in this draft was and why it was Marco Kasper?
Screenshot_20220711-180430_Twitter.jpg

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Tell me who the best player taken in this draft was and why it was Marco Kasper?

It reminds me in football in the 2021 where a bunch of high-end QBs were taken early. I remember a talkshow asking a scout who was the best QB in the draft and the scout said "whoever the 49ers take." Because that player was going to an extremely stable organization and was going to be coached by an offensive-minded coach who always got the best out of his QBs.

Same with the Red Wings really.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Marco Kasper reminds me a lot of Dylan Larkin when he was drafted. Really good two way forward, great skating, smart, high compete level, solid overall skills, and a great attitude. The main issue is whether he has a better offensive game or not. From what it seems, he sounds like a safe pick, but the question is will he have that offensive top-6 game like Dylan Larkin? Or will he be just another impact bottom-6 player like Darren Helm? Time will tell.

Reactions: Reddwit and Kalv

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
This is the 2nd year in a row you've decided to bash Detroit's first round. I suggest you watch Kasper some more because he wasn't a bold pick and he's also a great skater.

Remember when you said this about Edvinsson:

Jury is still out on Edvinsson. And Cossa hasn't even played a single minute in the NHL.

To respond to other posters here that brought up Yzerman's success in Tampa. You all do realize Yzerman got extremely lucky with his picks, don't you?
If he was such a genious, why would he wait until the second round to draft Kucherov or wait until the 3rd round to get Point??
He simply got lucky. No other way to explain. I don't like Yzerman's unconventional approach but he is very good at constructing a roster in terms of team fit, via trades.

These are the blunder picks Yzerman acquired in the 1st round as GM of the Lightning:

Brett Connolly
Vladislav Namestnikov
Slater Koekkoek
Jonathan Drouin
Brett Howden
Cal Foote
Nolan Foote

That is horrendous.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Bro the devil is making you look silly right now.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Jury is still out on Edvinsson. And Cossa hasn't even played a single minute in the NHL.

To respond to other posters here that brought up Yzerman's success in Tampa. You all do realize Yzerman got extremely lucky with his picks, don't you?
If he was such a genious, why would he wait until the second round to draft Kucherov or wait until the 3rd round to get Point??
He simply got lucky. No other way to explain. I don't like Yzerman's unconventional approach but he is very good at constructing a roster in terms of team fit, via trades.

These are the blunder picks Yzerman acquired in the 1st round as GM of the Lightning:

Brett Connolly
Vladislav Namestnikov
Slater Koekkoek
Jonathan Drouin
Brett Howden
Cal Foote
Nolan Foote

That is horrendous.
If drafting is all luck, why does it matter anyway? Wasn't Yzerman just unlucky some of his first-round picks didn't pan out?

- Connolly - #6 OA, yeah, not a good pick.
- Namestnikov - #27 OA, late firsts are a gamble. He's a solid NHL player. Part of the McDonagh/Miller trade.
- Koekkoek - #10 OA, career derailed by injuries.
- Drouin - #3 OA - pretty good NHL player, traded for Sergachev.
- Howden - #27 OA, late firsts are a gamble.
- Cal Foote - #13 OA, not many guys taken after him are really killing it either.

Yzerman was gone by the time they drafted Nolan Foote.

Why'd you leave out Vasilevskiy? And Seider? And Raymond?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Brett Connolly
Vladislav Namestnikov
Slater Koekkoek
Jonathan Drouin
Brett Howden
Cal Foote
Nolan Foote

That is horrendous.

The draft is a crapshoot, and your odds of landing good players decreases as you go down. From that list, I can only fault Yzerman on Connolly and Koekkoek. Drouin was not exactly the worst pick given the players that were taken behind him. The other guys were all taken outside the top-10, and despite that, he was still able to land Vasilevskiy and DeAngelo out of the first round.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Marco Kasper reminds me a lot of Dylan Larkin when he was drafted. Really good two way forward, great skating, smart, high compete level, solid overall skills, and a great attitude. The main issue is whether he has a better offensive game or not. From what it seems, he sounds like a safe pick, but the question is will he have that offensive top-6 game like Dylan Larkin? Or will he be just another impact bottom-6 player like Darren Helm? Time will tell.
So the question is will he be Helm or Helm With Handsᵀᴹ

...somebody had to say it

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, because if one thing is for certain, it’s Yzermans terrible draft record

Reactions: Henkka and Umingmak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad