C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I could never be described as objective. Neither am I particularly offended when people disagree with me, because I understand where they're coming from.

But what I think people are wrong about when they say Kasper is low ceiling is a misunderstanding of the mechanisms by which goals are generated. Crazy plays, crazy goals against the run of play happen, but most goals are generated by possession. And possession is maintained really by 3 ways. 1. Get the puck. 2. Hold on to the puck. 3. Share the puck.

How you do those things, aesthetically, is a lot less important. Kasper's possession stats are incredible, particularly in the SHL playoffs and the WHC. And he still has a lot of aspects of his game to develop that would increase his get, his hold, and his share. So his possession stats stand to increase, which is wild.

He will score a lot of points, not because he will do all these moves and make all these crazy shots. But because his team will always be moving the puck around in the offensive zone, and just by virtue of exposure, he will accumulate points.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I could never be described as objective. Neither am I particularly offended when people disagree with me, because I understand where they're coming from.

But what I think people are wrong about when they say Kasper is low ceiling is a misunderstanding of the mechanisms by which goals are generated. Crazy plays, crazy goals against the run of play happen, but most goals are generated by possession. And possession is maintained really by 3 ways. 1. Get the puck. 2. Hold on to the puck. 3. Share the puck.

How you do those things, aesthetically, is a lot less important. Kasper's possession stats are incredible, particularly in the SHL playoffs and the WHC. And he still has a lot of aspects of his game to develop that would increase his get, his hold, and his share. So his possession stats stand to increase, which is wild.

He will score a lot of points, not because he will do all these moves and make all these crazy shots. But because his team will always be moving the puck around in the offensive zone, and just by virtue of exposure, he will accumulate points.
This is really great point. People always talk about flashy plays overlooking those that actually create offense.

Reactions: Crunchy

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Can you share where you saw this? I would be really interested to read it.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

But Yzerman said Kasper doesn't do the Michigan thing......so that must limit his ceiling. :sarcasm:

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
Kasper has the best motor in the draft, a guy willing to do all the dirty work on the ice. Will be a very useful player IMO with plenty of untapped potential that Detroit could definitely unlock

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Can you share where you saw this? I would be really interested to read it.
This is for the WHC.

With the SHL, you can find it on the SHL website. My recitation from my memory of looking it up. Someone earlier said he led his team's forwards in Corsi in the playoffs. I think that's not quite true, he led all regular lineup forwards in Corsi, two forwards who didn't play in all the games and played extra forward minutes technically had higher Corsi. During the regular season I think his Corsi was about average on the team.

Reactions: Inspiration

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have not seen Kasper as much as some others, but what I have seen I really like and I am very happy with this pick for the wings.
I get that the consensus is that he has a higher floor but a lower ceiling than other players that were available.
But that was said about Seider as well.
I think people are correct about the high floor, but it seems that everytime a prospect comes along who has a high floor (and is not a McDavid level prospect) experts and fans reflexively say that they have a lower ceiling like these two attributes are always linked.
I think Kasper has a high floor and a ceiling that is just as high as any other prospect's that is taken around the same spot.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think Kasper has a high floor and a ceiling that is just as high as any other prospect's that is taken around the same spot.
One way to look at Kasper is that he is a very complete player as a very young 18 year old.

If he can improve a few aspects of his play further he could be a very good NHLer.

There is a lot of potential there but he already looks like a guy who could be getting some NHL minutes in 2023-2024. I could see him as a 50-60 point NHLer just be virtue of effort and being able to play in any situation.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Yzerman got his man. That's clear. Gonna be interesting to see if Kasper really has more offensive upside than a really solid third line center in NHL.

Any idea if he is gonna play in Sweden during next season?

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I think it will be just as great for his development if he plays in Rogle or the AHL but I would prefer Rogle. If he plays in Rogle, there will be three, high level prospects within the Wings' organization playing there. This will make it easy for Kronwall to work with all of the players and Lidstrom to advise in a very focused manner.

Granted, if he shows up at development camp, and then training camp, and blows off everyone's socks, then Detroit it is.

Reactions: r0bert8841

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Yzerman got his man. That's clear. Gonna be interesting to see if Kasper really has more offensive upside than a really solid third line center in NHL.

Any idea if he is gonna play in Sweden during next season?

Barring an unprecedented Camp where he steals a roster spot, it seems likely he’ll be playing for Rogle next season.

Reactions: HolyJumpin40

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Barring an unprecedented Camp where he steals a roster spot, it seems likely he’ll be playing for Rogle next season.
I agree with that but Yzermans comments abobut potentially playing this year or next are definitely interesting. I wouldnt be surprised if they want him in Grand Rapids this year to give him some games if he earns them type deal either.

Rogle is a really good spot for him if he does go back, but I really dont think he'll be making it for the start of Rogles season at the very least

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
This was just a bad pick by Detroit. Yet another example of Yzerman trying to look smarter than everyone else by making these bold picks which will backfire. You draft a slow skating forward who can't produce offensively when Savoie was there sitting in your lap.
ZZFWPVAT2NE6JPSDLHYHLHPAQ4.JPG

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I liked both the Seider and Raymond picks when they were made.
Kasper on the other hand was a big time reach. Dobber Prospects had this kid ranked 27th in this year's draft. Mackenzie had him at 17. I don't see anything special about his game. Yes he can play physical and has a high compete level but he looks like a slow skater with minimal offensive game. You don't spend your 8th overall pick on a player projected to be a bottom dweller enforcer type.

• Haha
Reactions: Umingmak

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Kasper on the other hand was a big time reach. Dobber Prospects had this kid ranked 27th in this year's draft. Mackenzie had him at 17. I don't see anything special about his game. Yes he can play physical and has a high compete level but he looks like a slow skater with minimal offensive game. You don't spend your 8th overall pick on a player projected to be a bottom dweller enforcer type.
No one is projecting Kasper to be a "bottom dweller enforcer type".

Plenty of mocks had him going in the top ten. Pronman said some teams had him ranked #2 overall.

My hunch is you're just underwhelmed by his stats last season.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Everything you just said could apply to Seider at the draft, I highly doubt you liked it at the time

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Seider was ranked 16+. Stop talking out of your ass.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Bottom dweller enforcer type... were you drunk when you wrote this?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
While I would've prefered Savoie because I've followed him for ages in Edmonton and think he has sky high skill and ceiling Kaspar is no slouch in his offensive potential. He's got great hands and edge work around the net. Really hard to defend below the dots. I like him enough that I trust the team and the scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad