C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Read my post again. His first round picks in Tampa were horrendous.
Tampa didn’t have Hakan though. That’s a pretty huge difference. It’s really hard to argue against a kid endorsed by Yzerman AND Hakan. Those are two seriously excellent talent evaluators in the same room. So far they’ve done pretty well together in Detroit. The biggest question will be Cossa vs Wallstedt to see if they picked the right goalie. I have to assume Hakan wasn’t super high on Jesper for them to pass on him.

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
Tampa didn’t have Hakan though. That’s a pretty huge difference. It’s really hard to argue against a kid endorsed by Yzerman AND Hakan. Those are two seriously excellent talent evaluators in the same room. So far they’ve done pretty well together in Detroit. The biggest question will be Cossa vs Wallstedt to see if they picked the right goalie. I have to assume Hakan wasn’t super high on Jesper for them to pass on him.

Håkan wasn't confident in evaluate a goalie, but he liked Jesper.
Yzerman asked Osgood for help with his goalie decision.
Osgood interviewed Cossa and liked him.
Osgood did never spoke to Jesper.
Osgood convinced Yzerman to pick Cossa.

With that said, never blame Håkan in the future. Time will tell...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Håkan wasn't confident in evaluate a goalie, but he liked Jesper.
Yzerman asked Osgood for help with his goalie decision.
Osgood interviewed Cossa and liked him.
Osgood did never spoke to Jesper.
Osgood convinced Yzerman to pick Cossa.

With that said, never blame Håkan in the future. Time will tell...
What's the source on this?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You should probably look up Al Murray before making statements like this. I like most Wings fans am a massive Hakan guy. But he isn't the only guy in the industry. Yzerman setup a great team brain-trust in Tampa, we hope he is doing that in Detroit. There is a reason they haven't fallen apart after he left, Wings fans are not giving Julian Brisebois enough credit either with clearing the final hurdles in terms of something I have noticed with our fanbase.

Our Director of Scouting was also chasing watching Kasper when possible. I know he was in Europe so Hakan, but from most accounts post draft if you want the guy in the building that was highest, that is actually probably Draper from what I can tell.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The smartest GM in the room wouldn't have those consecutive blunder 1st round picks he had in Tampa.
He is a very good GM but the smartest one? I think Bill Guerin is the best GM in the NHL and it's not particularly close.

I always think this talking point is funny and about the only attempt you can make to discredit Yzerman. A couple of his earliest first round picks werent great but not nearly as bad as you make out. Connolly still at 6th was a 20 goal scorer and is over 500 games in the league. Drouin is a 50 point, top 6 player that had mental health issues causing him to not sleep for days at a time, not sure Yzerman could have predicted that.

His only actual bust of a pick was Koekoek and later in that first round he took the best goalie of his generation which more than makes up for it. His weaker picks were also early in his career, picks like Seider and Raymond have more than made up for it

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Connolly? Sure a bad pick

Drouin? How was this a bad pick at the time? How was he “trying to be the smartest in the room” by taking a guy exactly where he was expected to go?

Koekokee (so?) - wasn’t considered a reach, was right where he was expected to go and derailed by injuries

Cal Foote is still very young, went where he was expected and isn’t doing very poorly? Will be top 4 next year

Others were later picks which are a crapshoot for the most part, even getting an NHL player out of them is good

so once again, show your work on how Yzerman is just trying to be the smartest man in the room? He was literally rated 2 spots ahead of where Mack had him rated

His only real big reach has been Seider and to an extent Vasilevski and we both know how well that has turned out.

Connolly was not Yzerman pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You should probably look up Al Murray before making statements like this. I like most Wings fans am a massive Hakan guy. But he isn't the only guy in the industry. Yzerman setup a great team brain-trust in Tampa, we hope he is doing that in Detroit. There is a reason they haven't fallen apart after he left, Wings fans are not giving Julian Brisebois enough credit either with clearing the final hurdles in terms of something I have noticed with our fanbase.

Our Director of Scouting was also chasing watching Kasper when possible. I know he was in Europe so Hakan, but from most accounts post draft if you want the guy in the building that was highest, that is actually probably Draper from what I can tell.

Don't think Brisebois and Tampa's scouting staff has done anything, which did change the team to a Cup winner.

After Yzerman left at 2019, Brisebois just started doing those smart trades when acquiring cheap caphits. Team was already a Contender, so you can run that way.

Tampa hasn't promoted a single own draft pick to their team, since Yzerman left to Detroit. Ross Colton (2016 pick) and Cal Foote (2017) are the latest.

Success has been the trade route.

It was pretty much that for Yzerman too, after their gretest drafts under him (2011-2015 Kucherov, Palat, Vasilevski, Point, cirelli) happened.

That's kind of the Yzer-plan. You draft talent for first 5 years, and then start the trade-machine, when having too many good assets. See same happening at Detroit.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If your metric for good drafting tells you that a team who won two cups, 1 prez, and went to finals 3x in 4 years is bad at drafting, get a new metric.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we're all done arguing with the Devil's advocate, let's get back to some Kasper discussion. Here's how I evaluate his strengths and what he needs to improve:

Skating:
Agile, strong lateral pivots and ability to change lanes at speed. Can stop and restart on a dime even when moving at his impressive top speed. I feel his forward acceleration is a little slow because he often turns back to accelerate with crossovers instead of a forward stride. With a small improvement to his first few steps, he'd be a consistent breakaway threat instead of just a puck carrier.

Shooting:
Slap shot is surprisingly accurate and he's great at getting shots on net. He can't score with his wrister from distance because it lacks power, but the release is quick. If he could get more power without changing his release, he'd be a much more dangerous shooter. He is accurate at picking corners in tight though.

Passing:
He's not a selfish player, and I think he actually looks to defer to teammates a bit too much. He's very effective at managing coverage and making short passes to teammates with space. However, there isn't much creativity to his passing game and I think he could stand to be more bold. With his industrious style, he can be a little too predictable, always taking the obvious pass or just driving the net if there isn't one.

Hands:
One of the underrated parts of his game. He's strong on the puck, even against bigger, stronger players. He is excellent at leveraging his weight and position to protect the puck, and stick handling around or through obstacles if that isn't available. Great at pulling pucks out of a scrum and at making quick moves to get a better shooting position. I think he could also be a bit more brave and try to use his hands a bit more. Often when pressured he'll dump the puck instead of trying to beat a defender that he can probably get by.

Defensive game:
I think he's become slightly overrated defensively. He's a very high effort player that's strong on the forecheck and pressuring players in the neutral zone. He's awesome at defending the rush and creating turnovers. He also likes to hit and often puts down guys much bigger than him due to his strong balanced skating. His work in the defensive zone isn't as strong as many seem to think. He can get caught puck watching and lose his man in coverage. Furthermore, if he can't leverage his skating, he has a hard time clearing larger players out and can struggle in the corners or in front of the net in stationary scrums. Just getting stronger should handle much of this, but he's still learning how to execute his role in the d-zone.

Anyone think they can help me refine my view of his game?

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
This was just a bad pick by Detroit. Yet another example of Yzerman trying to look smarter than everyone else by making these bold picks which will backfire. You draft a slow skating forward who can't produce offensively when Savoie was there sitting in your lap.
Maybe Savoie bust? Maybe Kasper does. Maybe sy felt kasper was the best pick for the Wings. Is Savoie gonna be a center at the nhl level? Time will tell.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He's final say on the top selection.

I think he has final say...if he wants it. He is very candid that he has not watched as much of Kasper as Draper has. He didn't have the conversations with the character references that Draper did.

I think Yzerman holds a lot of power, but he also empowers people to "do their f***ing job" and expects them to do it at a high level. When Draper and the scouting staff beneath him did all the leg work and knew what they were looking for, unless something drastic stuck out to Yzerman during the interview process or a particular nagging issue with some gameplay, Yzerman isn't going to flex his authority to stop Draper from making the pick.

He very much seems hands off in that way...as if he says "you guys tell me who we are picking" and rarely gets involved.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Actually it is more that Draper and Osgood who talked to him were very high on Cossa rather than Hakan not endorsing Wallstedt. I personally thought Wallstedt was the better prospect but the North American scouts overruled the European contingent on that choice.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Actually it is more that Draper and Osgood who talked to him were very high on Cossa rather than Hakan not endorsing Wallstedt.
What's the source on this?

Hakan has always said that goaltending is the one position he has the most difficulty evaluating and usually defers to other scouts in the draft.

I did read that Osgood did interview Cossa and endorsed him to the scouting staff.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Apparently one of the Ottawa TSN guys tweeted out he is hearing Kasper will be playing for the 67's in the OHL this season? Seems like a very un-Detroit kind of move to take a kid out of Sweden to play in the OHL.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Apparently one of the Ottawa TSN guys tweeted out he is hearing Kasper will be playing for the 67's in the OHL this season? Seems like a very un-Detroit kind of move to take a kid out of Sweden to play in the OHL.
Kasper wants to go to NA. Won't be Detroit's decision, unless they stop him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
That would make SUPER little sense. Not only that's worse competition level it also removes any kind of flexibility in his development until he's 20.

Kasper wants to go to NA. Won't be Detroit's decision, unless they stop him.
Even if that's indeed the case he can go to play in the AHL. Also, he just signed a deal with Detroit so yes, they have every right and possibility to stop him.

Reactions: r0bert8841

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
His offense is a lot like Larkin’s but he has Kadri’s physicality and feistiness.
There's a dash of Marchand in his game too. When I watch him I see a lot of Marchand (minus the douchebaggery) and I f***ing love it.

Reactions: Reddwit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad