C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If they send him to the 67s, you are suggesting that his development is fixed and he has no flexibility until he's 20.

Then how did the Wings assign Zadina to Grand Rapids out of Halifax immediately after drafting him? How did Rasmussen join the Wings after his D+1 year in Tri City at the age of 19?

There's nothing that keeps Kasper tied to the 67s until he's 20. The Wings would have plenty of flexibility. They would, as I understand it, leave Kasper for the entire OHL season, but that is it.

Reactions: Hockey Know it all

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
well did anyone expect Seider as a 6th overall pick in 2019?
With the exception of Yzerman I'd say most certainly not.

The only rumblings I can remember were murmurs Detroit was going to take this Seider kid from Germany for some inexplicable reason balanced against consensus that Seider was most likely going to be take somewhere in the 18-20-ish range.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
So much bullshit in this thread. Kasper has the skillet to become at least a solid second line center on any team. He may not become the next Crosby but he will be a player who is though to play against.

If you judge him by his numbers in a pro-league VS men at the age of 17 then you have to rethink about your scouting methods.

When Kasper was younger (14,15) he was more a playmaking center. In Rögle they asked him to be more aggressive around the net, so he did. They also asked him to go to the rough areas, so he also did. Kasper will do what the coach asks for and he quickly adapts to any style of play. That's maybe one of his strengths nobody has pointed out so far.

I also do think that Kasper is very close to make detroits roster. Just keep in mind that he has been playing in a men's league at the age of 17. Because of the Fa-signings another year in Rögle/AHL (playing against Pro's in a top-6 role) won't hurt his developement for sure, but out of this draft class he may be the most NHL-ready prospect.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

The only rumblings I can remember were murmurs Detroit was going to take this Seider kid from Germany for some inexplicable reason balanced against consensus that Seider was most likely going to be take somewhere in the 18-20-ish range.

I wanted Seider at 15 that year so bad. When Yzerman took him at 6 I was upset. Caufield dropping helped but damn I was hoping for Seider.

Reactions: Realgud and ITM

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If they send him to the 67s, you are suggesting that his development is fixed and he has no flexibility until he's 20.

Then how did the Wings assign Zadina to Grand Rapids out of Halifax immediately after drafting him? How did Rasmussen join the Wings after his D+1 year in Tri City at the age of 19?
I wasn't arguing, I was asking what is the rule.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I wanted Seider at 15 that year so bad. When Yzerman took him at 6 I was upset. Caufield dropping helped but damn I was hoping for Seider.
Last few years have tough to keep tabs, but I confess...I had no idea who he was. Detroit picked him, looked a little closer and thought, Yeah...There goes Yzerman again.

Reactions: Ulysses31

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Apparently one of the Ottawa TSN guys tweeted out he is hearing Kasper will be playing for the 67's in the OHL this season? Seems like a very un-Detroit kind of move to take a kid out of Sweden to play in the OHL.

Who tweeted it? I would like to see it.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Good place to focus a little more heavily on developing and maximizing his skills. He atleast already understands the pro game (not that he doesn't have more to work on in that department of course), but I like the idea of taking that experience and as I said focus on those skills, be the top player on a team, top minutes, really get the oppertunity to shine and bring his skils to the table every night with much lesser compeitition. Could be a good thing for him. Just the opposite of some of the NA players who are stuck in juniors to long who have maximized their skills and really should be in the pros learning the pro game.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Rogle had representatives at the draft to talk to the team that drafted him.
Many members of the Red WIngs have specifically praised the Rogle organization in interviews since the draft.
The Red Wings have 2 other players playing for Rogle next season.
The Red Wings have seen great development curves out of their prospects in Sweden in recent years.

He is DEFINITELY going to Ottawa. That makes TOTAL sense.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Rogle had representatives at the draft to talk to the team that drafted him.
Many members of the Red WIngs have specifically praised the Rogle organization in interviews since the draft.
The Red Wings have 2 other players playing for Rogle next season.
The Red Wings have seen great development curves out of their prospects in Sweden in recent years.

He is DEFINITELY going to Ottawa. That makes TOTAL sense.

Don't forget Kasper's dad and Marco himself saying he was 99% going back to Rogle.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
So much bullshit in this thread. Kasper has the skillet to become at least a solid second line center on any team. He may not become the next Crosby but he will be a player who is though to play against.

If you judge him by his numbers in a pro-league VS men at the age of 17 then you have to rethink about your scouting methods.

When Kasper was younger (14,15) he was more a playmaking center. In Rögle they asked him to be more aggressive around the net, so he did. They also asked him to go to the rough areas, so he also did. Kasper will do what the coach asks for and he quickly adapts to any style of play. That's maybe one of his strengths nobody has pointed out so far.

I also do think that Kasper is very close to make detroits roster. Just keep in mind that he has been playing in a men's league at the age of 17. Because of the Fa-signings another year in Rögle/AHL (playing against Pro's in a top-6 role) won't hurt his developement for sure, but out of this draft class he may be the most NHL-ready prospect.

I think he can do it based on his skillset, but maybe a skillet could be solid backup plan. :naughty:

119fc9db7a32174932da4be9815cb52f8b.rsquare.w600.jpg

Also, just because:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Yzerman did allegedly try to trade back cause he knew Seider wasn’t that highly ranked by most but he couldn’t find a dance partner so he just took his guy at 6.

Reactions: haulinbass and ITM

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yzerman did allegedly try to trade back cause he knew Seider wasn’t that highly ranked by most but he couldn’t find a dance partner so he just took his guy at 6.
It was reported by a Vancouver beat writer that the Wings were all in on Seider because we had a deal in place to drop down to 10 if Turcotte made it past LA. That didn't happen, but taking Seider at 6 seems to have worked out thus far...

Anyway, Kasper going back to Rogle is pretty much the ideal scenario. We get him on a good, competitive team and he will get tips from Kronwall (how cool is that) while he's out there. Maybe Kronner can convince Zetterberg to share some insight :naughty:?

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
For the few with skating concerns, here are some good examples of his skating. He isn't setting any records but he certainly is a pretty good skater. Not only does he have pretty good speed but he is really solid on his skates and can handle the puck pretty well at full speed.

Underwhelming tape for an 8th overall pick. I see nothing special. He has some quick initial burst and then slows down the rest of the cycle. Not a smooth skater and not particularly fast. Doesn't seem to have much of a shot. What is he good for?

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Underwhelming tape for an 8th overall pick. I see nothing special. He has some quick initial burst and then slows down the rest of the cycle. Not a smooth skater and not particularly fast. Doesn't seem to have much of a shot. What is he good for?

I dunno, maybe Yzerman thought he was a nice guy and would be good for the locker room.

Obviously there are some concerns with his offensive upside, just like there are many concerns about most players in the top 10 of this draft. What Kasper is good at is carrying the puck effectively. He makes the right plays. Gets the puck to the net. He may not be flashy but he can get past defenders just as well as some of the flashier guys. He isn't a perimeter player, he will bring the puck to the danger areas. He finds ways to deliver the puck to those areas without having to toe drag 2 guys. The kid always has the puck on his stick and the puck being on his stick is in good hands. He's shown that playing against men he doesn't shy away from contact. He battles and works hard. He can score the dirty goals in front of the net. He also really does have better hands than you might think, he just doesn't deploy them a lot. I've seen enough of him to know decent hands are there. Not saying his hands are as slick as some of the other guys drafted, but better hands than you might think if you haven't dug deep on him.

If Kasper played in the OHL I'm sure his highlight real and offensive upside would atleast look a little more exciting on YouTube.

I will stand behind Kasper being my 2nd choice at 8 for the Wings. Guathier was my first choice. I didn't reach this conclusion because I was sold that either player was the home run I typically feel I can find in other drafts at similar positioning. I landed on these guys because my concerns were greater for the other center prospects available at 8. The crop of guys available aren't very assuring for a variety of reasons. This doesn't mean a few years down the road it won't end up a solid draft class but at the time it took place its not the most promising. Maybe it's because it simply isn't and was never going to be, maybe Corona Virus impacted these guys during the most important development window, maybe by chance we have a lot of late developers, I don't know. But you can only work with what's available and it wasn't the prettiest.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Could be the most complete player of this year's draft, sure his offensive upside is not the highest but he does so many things so well and has the tools for more that he looks almost guaranteed to succeed in a middle-six role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad