C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Larkin won the best skater competition at the NHL All Star back when he was still a rookie and established the all time record for fastest skater back then in 2016 which he still holds today.

Jordan Kyrou won this year's fastest skater NHL All Star competition but Larkin still holds the record with a time of 13.172 seconds at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.

By all objective standards he is definitely elite. You are the one being subjective by denying that fact.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Larkin is not elite skater but very good one. Makar, McDavid or Hughes are elite skaters, don't let fanboyism overtake your common sense. Iam very pleased with Kasper right now, our scouts know what's up.
Larkin isn't nearly as good those guys in a lot of ways, but he's absolutely an elite skater. Frankly, I think he's arguably the best skater in the league. His brain isn't half as fast as McDavid or Makar's and his hands aren't good enough to consistently beat guys in close so overall he can't use his skating to the devastating effect that they can. In terms of top speed, acceleration, maneuverability or whatever metric you want to use, I think he's among the best of the best

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
7 shots on goal, 80 percent on draws and one ram tendy is a cool stat line.. followed that game up with an assist tonight. Really couldn’t have asked for a better start to the season from kasper, hopefully he keeps it going

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
So is there a reason why he is still being underrated? Is it just another case of a wings pick being underrated by internet pundits and then they get proven laughably wrong? Between his games against the SHL and in CHL games he’s analytically dominating while a PPG and over 50% on faceoffs. Not to mention he plays an in your face aggressive style that every team wants. I saw him get left off a lot of top 50 prospects list this summer which was hilarious. Don’t underestimate yzerman picks people.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
So is there a reason why he is still being underrated?

It could be that he didn't put up big numbers in the SHL last year (but they were actually very good considering his age) combined with a small sample size this year. I'm not sure, but I'm really happy about how things are going so far.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
It could be that he didn't put up big numbers in the SHL last year (but they were actually very good considering his age) combined with a small sample size this year. I'm not sure, but I'm really happy about how things are going so far.
I mean so far it’s a 9 game sample size and I think he’s got 10 points in those games. Sure that’s small but personally I haven’t seen any sort of sign of slowing down so far. It’s not like these are fluke points or something, you could argue he could have more, his puck luck around the net could be better! He’s just been dominant and nobody is really talking about it. My biggest excitement has been how good he’s been as a center at 18 in a men’s league.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I can’t wait to start seeing some analytic charts that show where he stands. While his numbers are great, I have a feeling from the eye test that the analytics are gonna be really good and bring a lot of people around on him. People take forever to realize young kids don’t put up video games numbers in Sweden. Kasper definitely is a top 50 prospect, he was in the discussion for 2nd overall last year by New Jersey

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
So is there a reason why he is still being underrated? Is it just another case of a wings pick being underrated by internet pundits and then they get proven laughably wrong? Between his games against the SHL and in CHL games he’s analytically dominating while a PPG and over 50% on faceoffs. Not to mention he plays an in your face aggressive style that every team wants. I saw him get left off a lot of top 50 prospects list this summer which was hilarious. Don’t underestimate yzerman picks people.

becAuSe hEs oNlY a 3rD lInEr...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I mean so far it’s a 9 game sample size and I think he’s got 10 points in those games. Sure that’s small but personally I haven’t seen any sort of sign of slowing down so far. It’s not like these are fluke points or something, you could argue he could have more, his puck luck around the net could be better! He’s just been dominant and nobody is really talking about it. My biggest excitement has been how good he’s been as a center at 18 in a men’s league.

6 points in 4 CHL games. 4 points in 5 SHL games.

#24 Marco Kasper

CF 59.79
Fenwick 58.75

While playing with 3rd line wingers.
SHL

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Larkin won the best skater competition at the NHL All Star back when he was still a rookie and established the all time record for fastest skater back then in 2016 which he still holds today.

Jordan Kyrou won this year's fastest skater NHL All Star competition but Larkin still holds the record with a time of 13.172 seconds at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville.

By all objective standards he is definitely elite. You are the one being subjective by denying that fact.
Before I say this, Larkin is absolutely an elite skater but...

Just something to add, Larkin is one of the few players in history to be given the opportunity to set that record starting the clock at full stride and not from a stand still which is why is still holds that record. It's already been proven that Both Gartner and McDavid would've had quicker times than him had they been given that same advantage.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
6 points in 4 CHL games. 4 points in 5 SHL games.

#24 Marco Kasper

CF 59.79
Fenwick 58.75

While playing with 3rd line wingers.
SHL
He’s so far actually destroying that league, at least in terms of for an 18 year old. And he’s doing it while being a center. It’s laughable he isn’t being hyped a ton by the usual internet scouts right now. That was the whole point of my original comment though, red wings prospects under yzerman never get the flashy hype but consistently out produce expectations. It’s hilarious.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
He’s so far actually destroying that league, at least in terms of for an 18 year old. And he’s doing it while being a center. It’s laughable he isn’t being hyped a ton by the usual internet scouts right now. That was the whole point of my original comment though, red wings prospects under yzerman never get the flashy hype but consistently out produce expectations. It’s hilarious.

Consistent effort, being in the right spots, playing a complete game, not as sexy as flipping a puck over the net.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I was really hoping this guy would fall to the Canucks. You guys got a good one! Congrats

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Calm down just a bit. Let's see how things look after at least 15-20 games. I'd hold off on words like 'destroying' or 'dominating'.
Yeah no. that’s why I said “so far” which are pretty key words. 10 points in 9 games with great analytics and over 50% from faceoffs Is dominating as an 18 year old. That doesn’t mean it will continue the whole season, but it was a mere reaction to what he has done so far.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
the flashy hype
You said it yourself. Combined with a great post kabidjan18 wrote in this thread in the summer it pretty much covers it. The way to get the hype is to make a flashy play in the men's league, scoring a gazillion of points in the kid's league also works. And then nobody really cares that it's how 1/5 of NHL goals, at best, are being scored.

Meant this post:

But what I think people are wrong about when they say Kasper is low ceiling is a misunderstanding of the mechanisms by which goals are generated. Crazy plays, crazy goals against the run of play happen, but most goals are generated by possession. And possession is maintained really by 3 ways. 1. Get the puck. 2. Hold on to the puck. 3. Share the puck.

How you do those things, aesthetically, is a lot less important. Kasper's possession stats are incredible, particularly in the SHL playoffs and the WHC. And he still has a lot of aspects of his game to develop that would increase his get, his hold, and his share. So his possession stats stand to increase, which is wild.

He will score a lot of points, not because he will do all these moves and make all these crazy shots. But because his team will always be moving the puck around in the offensive zone, and just by virtue of exposure, he will accumulate points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad