C Kent Johnson - Cleveland Monsters, AHL (2021, 5th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Highest ceiling among forwards in the draft, and top forward in my eyes. Congrats CBJ.

Agreed. People are going to say this was a reach. I don’t see it. Guys who can realistically score 60+ points and have a chance to stick at center are not in abundance. You don’t pick those players too often outside of the top five.

HockeyMind9

Any buddy watching the camp in calgary let me know how he does

He has looked good. Started out with Perfetti and Sourdif but today got switched with McTavish and Kent was with Sillinger. You can tell he has great hands and great offensive creativity even though he hasn't necessarily put up points in the games, he has shown flashes. Scored a nice shootout goal with a quick move/shot just above the pad inside the post.

I've been going every day to watch both the U18 and Juniors. Debating writing a post or thread if there's interest.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He has looked good. Started out with Perfetti and Sourdif but today got switched with McTavish and Kent was with Sillinger. You can tell he has great hands and great offensive creativity even though he hasn't necessarily put up points in the games, he has shown flashes. Scored a nice shootout goal with a quick move/shot just above the pad inside the post.

I've been going every day to watch both the U18 and Juniors. Debating writing a post or thread if there's interest.
Please do create a thread. If not, I would welcome any and all observations you have had via a PM!

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Please do

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
so 5 point night in the last game?
Seems like he was ''pretty good'' in the tournament, are there any specific reports on him? I briefly saw some highlights but the numbers speak for themselves.

As a Ducks fan, there was a time I wanted us to take him, will be interesting to follow his progress.

PS
And as a Latvian, I can't be sad that the Jackets might have gotten a great player.

HockeyMind9

Please do create a thread. If not, I would welcome any and all observations you have had via a PM!

Sounds good. I'll start a thread and write a bunch of my observations when I get a chance. I'll write about the juniors and the U18s. First time watching a lot of the U18 guys and they really impressed me. A few guys that should definitely be on the 2022 and 2023 first-round radars.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Is this kid on a faster track to NHL due to his advanced skillset or will the body need too much work to have him in the NHL after this coming season?

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I know there's a lot of dispute over whether or not Johnson projects as a center. Personally I can see it either way, but I would say that I personally expect him to stick on the wing for Michigan this year.

From the best of my memory, this was Michigan's top six by the end of last year:

Johnson - Beniers - Morgan
Brisson - Bordeleau - M. Pastujov

As far as I understand, all six of those players are returning. Beniers is obviously a pretty natural center. Bordeleau could slide to the wing to make room for Johnson, but I don't really see Mel Pearson shaking things up just for the sake of it. Beniers and Johnson have pretty good chemistry, as do Bordeleau and Brisson, so I'd expect those pairings to stick together. I think Johnson could play center in his D+2 whether he heads to the AHL or sticks at Michigan (I'd expect one if not both of Bordeleau and Beniers to leave Michigan after this season).

On the subject, Luke Morgan is a reliable if unspectacular upperclassman. Last year I think he was on that line to help Beniers and Johnson with some of the dirty work. With a summer of filling out and an NCAA season under their belt, I'm not sure that Beniers and Johnson necessarily need that type of player alongside them this year. Personally I'd like to see Samoskevich slot in there, I think he and Johnson would be a tough duo to defend with Beniers providing the engine for them. I could also see Eric Ciccolini there.

Johnson also plays off the left half-wall on the first powerplay unit. He's pretty electric there, I wouldn't expect any changes in his sophmore year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If UofM is being accurate and he's close to the 165lbs it states on the roster then he's gonna need some time to grow out a bit.

Pretty sure those numbers would not be up to date, the incoming freshmen don't even have their photos and numbers up yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know there's a lot of dispute over whether or not Johnson projects as a center. Personally I can see it either way, but I would say that I personally expect him to stick on the wing for Michigan this year.

From the best of my memory, this was Michigan's top six by the end of last year:

Johnson - Beniers - Morgan
Brisson - Bordeleau - M. Pastujov

As far as I understand, all six of those players are returning. Beniers is obviously a pretty natural center. Bordeleau could slide to the wing to make room for Johnson, but I don't really see Mel Pearson shaking things up just for the sake of it. Beniers and Johnson have pretty good chemistry, as do Bordeleau and Brisson, so I'd expect those pairings to stick together. I think Johnson could play center in his D+2 whether he heads to the AHL or sticks at Michigan (I'd expect one if not both of Bordeleau and Beniers to leave Michigan after this season).

On the subject, Luke Morgan is a reliable if unspectacular upperclassman. Last year I think he was on that line to help Beniers and Johnson with some of the dirty work. With a summer of filling out and an NCAA season under their belt, I'm not sure that Beniers and Johnson necessarily need that type of player alongside them this year. Personally I'd like to see Samoskevich slot in there, I think he and Johnson would be a tough duo to defend with Beniers providing the engine for them. I could also see Eric Ciccolini there.

Johnson also plays off the left half-wall on the first powerplay unit. He's pretty electric there, I wouldn't expect any changes in his sophmore year.

You are going to need two pucks with Johnson and Samoskevich. I’d rather see Samoskevich with Bordeleau and Brisson. Ciccolini with Beniers and Johnson. Just my take though.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
You are going to need two pucks with Johnson and Samoskevich. I’d rather see Samoskevich with Bordeleau and Brisson. Ciccolini with Beniers and Johnson. Just my take though.

Yeah that's a good point, makes sense to split up the playmakers and triggermen. Might see something like this for Michigan:

Johnson - Beniers - Ciccolini
Brisson - Bordeleau - Samoskevich
Duke - Beecher - M. Pastujov
Lambert - Van Wyhe - Granowicz (several upperclassmen can fill in here honestly)

Power - Blankenburg
Hughes - Pehrson
Truscott - Summers

Portillo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad