C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Too much negativity. Too much pessimism. Don’t dare to have any hope. Like I said, the Flyers have been terrible for a decade but things do look brighter than they did a couple years ago. I’m not saying it needs to be all sunshine and rainbows but some posters need to walk away from the team. I don’t get looking to bash the team over every single thing. Seems unhealthy and not a great environment. Literal negadelphia

But they don't look brighter. The Flyers keep trying to win the 2004 Stanley Cup. It's still that same shit organizational philosophy in place that's been in place since forever that guides everything they do and has led to the last decade plus of idiotic mediocrity. If they didn't luck into Michkov, how bleak would things look right now?

I get it, it's not particularly fun, but the negativity is more than warranted. It's a shame, because I'd love nothing more than to care about this stupid f***ing team again. They were literally the last thing in sports that I actually cared about.

Reactions: pit

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Have you ever been to Philly?
The whole Atlantic seaboard is one big playground for the rich. NYC & DC are a short drive. He can get a suburban house in Jersey or a Philly suburb.

99% this isn’t about the city. More likely it’s the Flyers lack of young talent, Torts or the fact that he just doesn’t like the team. He looks like a punk no matter how you slice it

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I suppose dominance is relative. I thought he had a great tournament, but far from dominant . I would characterize the performances of Bedard, McTavish and Zegras in recent years as dominant.
I agree dominance is relative. After reading a few other posts I’ve come to the conclusion that guy, along with most Philly fans, have a clear agenda against the kid. He was a top 10 prospect in the league less than 24 hours ago in their eyes, now hes a low IQ slow bad soon to bust type of prospect

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What charmin soft little vagina. Refusing to meet with Danny Briere, Keith Jones, Patrick Sharpe, John Leclair when you're 19yo and have never played an NHL game.

This kid is going to flame out bad. All the floating away from the puck, unassertive play, bad angle and perimeter shots combined with extremely questionable character are going to do him in.

Philly board is hilarious. A couple fans are mad at Gauthier but a bunch of posters have taken Gauthier scorning them and used it as an excuse to criticize their organization. You would think it would be something that galvanizes the fanbase but no, lol

That philly board is it's own little echochamber. They don't represent most.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I agree dominance is relative. After reading a few other posts I’ve come to the conclusion that guy, along with most Philly fans, have a clear agenda against the kid. He was a top 10 prospect in the league less than 24 hours ago in their eyes, now hes a low IQ slow bad soon to bust type of prospect
No, if you're in any flyers circles you know we were trashing the pick when it happened and wern't enamored with his WJC despite the counting stats. Looks like tarzan, plays like Jane. I could see him just as easily being an Anthony Mantha than a John Leclair.

Reactions: MNRube

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He very mych dominated this wjc. It may be you on the wrong wavelength
He definitely did not dominate, unless points and faceoffs are all that matter. Go back and look at every shift. McGroarty and Snuggerud outworked him, made more skill plays, and turned the puck over less. The analytic numbers reward players for shooting, but Gauthier took a bunch of low-pct shots that killed possessions or denied a better chance for another teammate. Considering he was a 1C on the deepest team in the weaker bracket, and the U.S. had issues in three of their four group-stage games, my takeaway was that he was underwhelming. To be fair, most of the U.S. forwards were sloppy or made low-IQ plays in group play, but it’s fair to chalk it up to rust, travel, or chemistry

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
He definitely did not dominate, unless points and faceoffs are all that matter. Go back and look at every shift. McGroarty and Snuggerud outworked him, made more skill plays, and turned the puck over less. The analytic numbers reward players for shooting, but Gauthier took a bunch of low-pct shots that killed possessions or denied a better chance for another teammate. Considering he was a 1C on the deepest team in the weaker bracket, and the U.S. had issues in three of their four group-stage games, my takeaway was that he was underwhelming. To be fair, most of the U.S. forwards were sloppy or made low-IQ plays in group play, but it’s fair to chalk it up to rust, travel, or chemistry
Zone entries were bad too against good competition. Little creativity with the puck on the rush and he wasn't able to beat defenders with his skating as much as I had expected. Lots of dump-ins where his line didn't have great puck pursuit or like you noted low percentage shots from inside the blue line. I've seen a lot of the same watching his BC games this season. I'll be surprised if he plays center in the NHL, which is probably fine for the fit in Anaheim as he's got the tools to be a great top line winger. Ultimately, I think this is a good trade for both teams.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Looks like tarzan, plays like Jane. I could see him just as easily being an Anthony Mantha than a John Leclair.

100%. He plays a selfish perimeter game. His antics have also put a lot of eyes on him. We will see if he can handle that pressure. Ask Dubois how it is being the bad guy - most aren't cut out for it. Especially the types that force their way to Disneyland

Reactions: FlyguyOX

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
i know he taken 5th overall but he didnt impress me at the world juinors tbh thought many americans drafted lower them him look to have better potential.. goodluck in cali .

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I was never overly impressed with him at the WJC. I thought there were many other players that could've won MVP. I would've liked to see someone from the Smith or Nazar line get it. Those 6 guys carried their team

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think Cutter projects as a complimentary top 6 goal scoring winger. I see a lot of James Neal in his game, though Gauthier is a better skater. Maybe a bit of Jeff Carter. His decision making can be questionable at times, but he's actually a pretty underrated passer IMO. He does have a tendency to take a lot of low percentage shots, but with his shot, those low percentage shots become very dangerous against junior / college goaltenders. He'll need to clean that up against NHL goaltenders, though. Bedard had a similar tendency (though not as exaggerated), and he seems to be learning to take smarter shots at the NHL level.

Still, his ability to create shots is impressive. He averaged 4.1 shots/gp last year at BC, and is up to 5.5 shots/gp this year. He's averaged 4.1 shots/gp thru his WJC career, and he led the men's WHC in SOG by a country mile, with 57 shots in 10 gp (Toffoli was 2nd with 39). And he did that while averaging only 14 mins a game. That's a very high level of shot generation against professional competition. I'd be very surprised if his shot generation falls beneath 2.5-3 shots/gp at the next level, so long as he gets meaningful ice time/opportunity, which should make him a lock for 20+ goals a year with his shooting ability.

I think he and Carlsson could be a great duo in the future, much like Malkin - Neal was in Pittsburgh.

Zegras - Carlsson - Gauthier
Killorn - McTavish - Terry

That's a pretty beastly looking top 6 (with 3 US WJC gold medalists from 3 separate tournaments + WJC gold medalist McTavish), which could be made even better if they use their 2024 1st on one of the top available forwards like Eiserman, Catton, or Demidov. They could even win the Celebrini lottery. They could hypothetically have 5 top line caliber centers under the age of 24....

Realistically, they could have a top 6 that looks something like:

Zegras - Carlsson - Gauthier
Eiserman - McTavish - Terry

That'd be a pretty crazy mix of elite playmakers and sharpshooters. I'd be shocked if he became anything less than a 20g 40p winger with such a supporting cast. I don't think he's gonna be a superstar or elite play driver, but he should be a perennial threat to hit 30+ goals 60+ points.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Philly board is hilarious. A couple fans are mad at Gauthier but a bunch of posters have taken Gauthier scorning them and used it as an excuse to criticize their organization. You would think it would be something that galvanizes the fanbase but no, lol

I will explain why we feel that way.

The Flyers employed Chuck Fletcher as GM from 2018 until 2023. During that time, they ran through 4 coaches.

In the summer of 2022, they drafted Cutter Gauthier 5th overall. That same summer, their ownership—the Flyers make up most of a Comcast subsidiary called "Comcast Spectacor"—decided they didn't trust their GM, Fletcher, enough to hire the next coach.

Rather than fire their GM, Comcast Spectacor decided to bring in an outside, non-hockey consulting firm to find them a coach. They landed on John Tortorella, at that point out of the league and talking wild dinosaur shit as a bad ESPN personality.

That corporate ownership loved the brash, throwback personality of the coach so much that they have centered most of their marketing around him since he was hired.

Fletcher's incompetence laid so bare, he was finally fired this past spring and replaced with an interim GM, a former player who had been personally mentored by the then-CEO of Comcast Spectacor. Later, that CEO announced her retirement and was replaced by a local health insurance executive with no hockey knowledge.

Devoid of a President and longterm GM, it came down again to the cable company and the health insurance executive to direct the next moves. People who don't know shit about hockey. The only person still there was the brash loudmouth coach.

The corporate ownership promised they'd conduct an exhaustive search for a new President and GM, but were so enamored with that coach that their hiring was contingent on the candidates committing to keep that coach.

Having limited their talent pool to literally no one with a spine or a vision of their own, they ended up keeping the interim GM who the corporation had groomed in-house and then hiring their own color commentator as President.

The new CEO went so far as saying he envisioned a shared power structure between Jones, Briere, and Tortorella. Used the word "triumvirate."

John Tortorella is the most powerful person in the Flyers' organization. Briere has already had multiple trades either forced (see: Hayes, Kevin) or blocked (see: Laughton, Scott) based on Torts' preferences. Because the cable people think Tortorella is the foremost hockey genius and should have that right.

This isn't run like a professional sports franchise. It's something else. It's run like, well, a standard shitty cable company: complacency, nepotism, fealty, marketing. Shouting words like "CULTURE" and "IDENTITY" along with your PowerPoint to bosses who have no idea how winning teams actually win.

In terms of long-term outlook and organizational competence, there's cause for concern on a player's behalf. Even if Gauthier is the most entitled little prick on earth and could've handled himself better, this is a red flag for a legacy team that fashions itself an appealing destination.

If, as reported, the tension with Gauthier starts because the GM doesn't have the power to guarantee the #5 overall pick icetime if he signs a contract, then everything above is exactly the problem.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think people see a bigger guy and automatically label him as hard to play against. He really wasn't that at the WJC. Maybe he will be in the future, but he isn't that guy now. He's a bit of vanilla. I would like to see him play with some more edge. He was running his mouth at Lekkerimaki so maybe he starts bringing it physically more often. Play on the line, sometimes over the line. I also don't really think he is a center. Probably just a volume shooter, Top 6 winger with some size. James Neal is a decent comp.

Reactions: Kalv and FlyguyOX

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The whole Atlantic seaboard is one big playground for the rich. NYC & DC are a short drive. He can get a suburban house in Jersey or a Philly suburb.

99% this isn’t about the city. More likely it’s the Flyers lack of young talent, Torts or the fact that he just doesn’t like the team. He looks like a punk no matter how you slice it

The one BC insider saying the Flyers may not have been willing to sign him and give him enough games to burn a year of his ELC might be a factor too. More so even than people making up negative shit about a city.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I think people see a bigger guy and automatically label him as hard to play against. He really wasn't that at the WJC. Maybe he will be in the future, but he isn't that guy now. He's a bit of vanilla. I would like to see him play with some more edge. He was running his mouth at Lekkerimaki so maybe he starts bringing it physically more often. Play on the line, sometimes over the line. I also don't really think he is a center. Probably just a volume shooter, Top 6 winger with some size. James Neal is a decent comp.
Almost no chance he plays C for Anaheim. It's nice that he can if injuries call for it, but Calrsson and McTavish likely have those spots locked down for the next decade.

Reactions: MD93 and TLEH

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It has to be a difficult spot for an NHL team to have so much draft capital invested in a player that won’t communicate with you and doesn’t have an agent yet (due to NCAA status) to do that communicating for him. Can’t blame the Flyers at all for very effectively maximizing what they could get back for him while the iron is hot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad