C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Gauthier is much better off in Anaheim where there will be no scrutiny on him—just look at how bad Dubois has been in LA with zero major backlash.

Besides, now Gauthier can do what he does best: float around on the wing and snipe goals occasionally, instead of being counted on as a future #1C.

(I’m glad my opinion on Gauthier was documented in this thread before the trade so I can’t be accused of being a salty Sharks fan!)
You can still be a salty Sharks fan :sarcasm:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
lol? What a weird way of thinking.

If there was a rift in a relationship (over a silly disagreement, really, if it's the ELC burn rumor) and one party keeps trying to reach out to heal, console, or reconcile, then it's pure immaturity for Gauthier to refuse to even communicate. To reject guys like Sharp, Leclair, Briere, Jones and refuse to even hear or talk to them is just embarrassing and immature.

My guy, that "silly disagreement" was over hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is a business. There's nothing silly about that.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
lol? What a weird way of thinking.

If there was a rift in a relationship (over a silly disagreement, really, if it's the ELC burn rumor) and one party keeps trying to reach out to heal, console, or reconcile, then it's pure immaturity for Gauthier to refuse to even communicate. To reject guys like Sharp, Leclair, Briere, Jones and refuse to even hear or talk to them is just embarrassing and immature.
Sounds like both the Flyers and Gauthier agreed he was ready for NHL this year. You can say it's immature from Gauthier, but also a little silly on the Flyers part to risk upsetting a top prospect to save an extra year on the ELC.

Definitely a good example of being cheap coming back to bite you.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
He needed to play 10 games to burn the ELC year. Otherwise it would slide. He would be deemed as signing his ELC at 19. It'd be the same situation as Clayton Keller, whose contract slid after only playing 3 games.
Well Luke Hughes' contract did not slide after playing 2 games (plus 3 playoff games) last season as a 19 year old with NJ, so I'm not sure what the rule is.

EDIT: I see Luke Hughes' ELC signing age was technically 20 since his birthday is so close to the cutoff date. So even though he signed at age 19, it counted as him signing at 20.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
"Look Cutter, we'd love to have you on the team next year and I know it is standard practice to sign high drafted NCAA guys at the end of the season to burn a year off the ELC, but unfortunately that would cost us a couple thousand bucks in cap penalties so it just isn't in the cards.

But we'll see you at camp in a couple months right? Hello?"

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well Luke Hughes' contract did not slide after playing 2 games (plus 3 playoff games) last season as a 19 year old with NJ, so I'm not sure what the rule is.

EDIT: I see Luke Hughes' ELC signing age was technically 20 since his birthday is so close to the cutoff date. So even though he signed at age 19, it counted as him signing at 20.
yeah, it goes by Birth Year. It's tricky, but Hughes counted as a 20 year old. For example, if Fantilli stayed in the NCAA this year, and signed in April, one game would burn it (late birthday), if Will Smith signs he needs to play 10 games.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its a perfectly believable explanation.
It would seem illogical to not sign a Top 5 Pick due to very small bonus overages for a team that isn't going to win. Feels like it has to do with having to play 10 games to burn a year, and wanting to be gifted 10 games of NHL ice.

To me that makes the most sense. No reason that Philly would blow the relationship over a couple hundred thousand bonus overages.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It would seem illogical to not sign a Top 5 Pick due to very small bonus overages for a team that isn't going to win. Feels like it has to do with having to play 10 games to burn a year, and wanting to be gifted 10 games of NHL ice.

To me that makes the most sense. No reason that Philly would blow the relationship over a couple hundred thousand bonus overages.
It would be illogical, but we've seen far more illogical decisions from teams in this league. It's not unprecedented for a team to play hardball with an RFA to the point where it becomes unreasonable.

Honestly I could see either scenario making sense, though I agree the 10 game issue is probably more likely. But even then, I would gladly give him the games to make sure he becomes a Flyer - its not like they were in the playoff hunt.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It would be illogical, but we've seen far more illogical decisions from teams in this league. It's not unprecedented for a team to play hardball with an RFA to the point where it becomes unreasonable.

Honestly I could see either scenario making sense, though I agree the 10 game issue is probably more likely. But even then, I would gladly give him the games to make sure he becomes a Flyer - its not like they were in the playoff hunt.
I agree that they should have given him the 10 games.

Was listening to a Seravelli interview and he said that they talked to 18-20 teams about him and that Cutter told them he wouldn’t sign with those other 12–14.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Im generally fine with Gauthier saying he doesn’t want to play in Philly. I’m not okay with blowing off John LeClair and Patrick Sharp at your games when they want to talk to you after. I think you should show a little more respect than that.

Both Adam Fox and Blake Wheeler told their teams and faced them as professionals.

Don’t tell your coach to go out there and say he doesn’t want to talk to you guys.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Im generally fine with Gauthier saying he doesn’t want to play in Philly. I’m not okay with blowing off John LeClair and Patrick Sharp at your games when they want to talk to you after. I think you should show a little more respect than that.

Both Adam Fox and Blake Wheeler told their teams and faced them as professionals.

Don’t tell your coach to go out there and say he doesn’t want to talk to you guys.
What? He did tell them, the Flyers whole org has said he told them he didn't want to play there. Their chairman was on tv last night saying how Cutter's camp was up front with them the whole time. He did tell them, not his fault they kept sending messengers up there, what does he owe Patrick Sharp and John LeClair?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
What? He did tell them, the Flyers whole org has said he told them he didn't want to play there. Their chairman was on tv last night saying how Cutter's camp was up front with them the whole time. He did tell them, not his fault they kept sending messengers up there, what does he owe Patrick Sharp and John LeClair?
I personally think it’s disrespectful to blow them off. He doesn’t owe them anything. I personally wouldn’t have done it that way.

I am aware of the situation. I know what he told them, and when he told them. It’s his decision. I still think it’s a little disrespectful. It’s not his fault they sent them, I also think there are better ways to handle it other than making your coach go out and tell them.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I personally think it’s disrespectful to blow them off. He doesn’t owe them anything. I personally wouldn’t have done it that way.

I am aware of the situation. I know what he told them, and when he told them. It’s his decision. I still think it’s a little disrespectful. It’s not his fault they sent them, I also think there are better ways to handle it other than making your coach go out and tell them.
Ya I just don't see any difference to what Cutter did to what Adam Fox, Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes, Frederik Andersen. Fox did it to 2 teams and he didn't get nearly the blowback, it's wild

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Ya I just don't see any difference to what Cutter did to what Adam Fox, Blake Wheeler, Kevin Hayes, Frederik Andersen. Fox did it to 2 teams and he didn't get nearly the blowback, it's wild
I think Cutter told them he didn’t want to sign anymore without EXACTLY explaining why. I think Briere knows it’s the contract situation and the whole ELC shit. But I don’t think it was ever like a sit down convo about it specifically. Just a zoom saying I am not signing thanks. Maybe that’s the difference.

I’m not against what he did at all. I think it’s overblown and guys should use whatever leverage they have. I just think I would have handled it a bit different personally. Been a little more respectful with respectful hockey lifers. Just me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

If you told a team you were done with them, and then they send messengers to surprise you without you having your "advisor" there, I'd not take the meeting either, and I'd view it as an attempt to strong arm me into a meeting I didn't want to have.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If you told a team you were done with them, and then they send messengers to surprise you without you having your "advisor" there, I'd not take the meeting either, and I'd view it as an attempt to strong arm me into a meeting I didn't want to have.
I mean it’s a valid point. But it also depends on how clear and concise his camp was about their intentions. Briere framed it like they thought he might change his mind in the future. I’m sure they still wanted to present like they were invested in his development.

You could also frame it the way you did with essentially talking without your lawyer present. I get both sides.

Reactions: malcb33

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Got it - points don't matter.

Never said they didn’t matter, but you said he dominated. Are you saying the only way a player can dominate is by producing points? If so, that must also mean players who don’t score are incapable of dominating.

The burden of proof that Gauthier dominated the WJC is on you. Too many of us in this thread have followed the sport long enough to know a guy can stat pad and still look like shit. And go ask Rangers fans about Mika Zibanejad. Easily the most criticized top-six forward on a good team, and he has 39 points in 39 games.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I agree that they should have given him the 10 games.

Was listening to a Seravelli interview and he said that they talked to 18-20 teams about him and that Cutter told them he wouldn’t sign with those other 12–14.
If that’s the case then Verbeek was an idiot to include a pick. Or he really wanted to moved from Drysdale…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad