C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Never said they didn’t matter, but you said he dominated. Are you saying the only way a player can dominate is by producing points? If so, that must also mean players who don’t score are incapable of dominating.

The burden of proof that Gauthier dominated the WJC is on you. Too many of us in this thread have followed the sport long enough to know a guy can stat pad and still look like shit. And go ask Rangers fans about Mika Zibanejad. Easily the most criticized top-six forward on a good team, and he has 39 points in 39 games.
You are just arguing semantics. Im not insinuating that points are the end all be all but they are a major contributor to if they are playing well or not. Im not sure what you are trying to argue with Zib. Ranger fans get pised because he has shown in long stretched what he is capable of. And when he goes in 10 game stints where he looks like shit thats when he is criticized

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It would be illogical, but we've seen far more illogical decisions from teams in this league. It's not unprecedented for a team to play hardball with an RFA to the point where it becomes unreasonable.

Honestly I could see either scenario making sense, though I agree the 10 game issue is probably more likely. But even then, I would gladly give him the games to make sure he becomes a Flyer - its not like they were in the playoff hunt.
We have lots of other young players further in their development we needed to evaluate.

Like I said, kid has a terrible perspective and attitude

Adam Fox did the exact same thing, people just cared a lot less because it was Carolina
No a ton of people looked down on it equally

• Haha
Reactions: MD93 and OKR

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What? He did tell them, the Flyers whole org has said he told them he didn't want to play there. Their chairman was on tv last night saying how Cutter's camp was up front with them the whole time. He did tell them, not his fault they kept sending messengers up there, what does he owe Patrick Sharp and John LeClair?
We live in a world… holy cow

If you told a team you were done with them, and then they send messengers to surprise you without you having your "advisor" there, I'd not take the meeting either, and I'd view it as an attempt to strong arm me into a meeting I didn't want to have.
Then you’re equally immature lmao

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You are just arguing semantics. Im not insinuating that points are the end all be all but they are a major contributor to if they are playing well or not. Im not sure what you are trying to argue with Zib. Ranger fans get pised because he has shown in long stretched what he is capable of. And when he goes in 10 game stints where he looks like shit thats when he is criticized

Playing well or dominating are two different takeaways. If someone asked me on the street to give them a quick rundown of Gauthier’s WJC, I’d say he stat-padded against lesser teams and was good on draws but struggled with his decision-making, with all being obvious to the onlooker.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Playing well or dominating are two different takeaways. If someone asked me on the street to give them a quick rundown of Gauthier’s WJC, I’d say he stat-padded against lesser teams and was good on draws but struggled with his decision-making, with all being obvious to the onlooker.
Its also extremely subjective.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Massively low hockey IQ player, he's bullied smaller kids his whole life. He has a wonderful shot, that's about it and it's not like he potted goals at will at the WJC, he was def a passenger. I have no idea what Drysdale even is or will be, but I'm completely fine that Cutter was traded, it's not like he anywhere near Michkov or top tier prospect. Way too many holes in his game and red flags when it comes to IQ and intelligence with the puck on his stick.

Its also extremely subjective.
Did you actually watch the WJC or have you watched hundreds of hours of him at BC? This is spot on btw, you're clueless.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: OKR and FlyguyOX

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Massively low hockey IQ player, he's bullied smaller kids his whole life. He has a wonderful shot, that's about it and it's not like he potted goals at will at the WJC, he was def a passenger. I have no idea what Drysdale even is or will be, but I'm completely fine that Cutter was traded, it's not like he anywhere near Michkov or top tier prospect. Way too many holes in his game and red flags when it comes to IQ and intelligence with the puck on his stick.

Did you actually watch the WJC or have you watched hundreds of hours of him at BC? This is spot on btw, you're clueless.
Then the Flyers are extremely dumb drafting a player like that 5th overall. At least the Ducks traded for him AFTER he had decent Worlds and WJC's :laugh:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Which is exactly what someone who understands f***all at hockey would say.
I can promise you that I played at a higher level of hockey than you, for what it's worth.

Flyers fans are great. If none of this ever happens then you guys are still singing the tune that he was awesome at the WJC and a top 10 prospect in the league.

Reactions: OKR and MD93

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
I agree that they should have given him the 10 games.

Was listening to a Seravelli interview and he said that they talked to 18-20 teams about him and that Cutter told them he wouldn’t sign with those other 12–14.
lol being unsigned 5th overall draftpick and never played a game telling 12-14 teams he wont sign for them jesus I would of stayed away from this kid with a 10 foot pole to much of a diva

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I can promise you that I played at a higher level of hockey than you, for what it's worth.

Flyers fans are great. If none of this ever happens then you guys are still singing the tune that he was awesome at the WJC and a top 10 prospect in the league.
To be fair, a lot of Flyers fans on here were not big Gauthier fans going all the way back to his draft. The criticisms are not inconsistent – I’ve had plenty of arguments with his critics over it. I personally never thought those criticisms of Gauthier were major impediments to his potential and still don’t, but they are not arguing in bad faith here.

The critiques are real observations of his game, but they’re also the things that make him an elite player. He’s the kind of player that just doesn’t carry the puck very much. He attacks by finding space and releasing the puck shortly after it hits his stick. That makes him seem invisible or disengaged for stretches compared to a player that’s able to attack the neutral zone with speed or establish sustained possession with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone — that’s not Gauthier. If he tried to be that player, he wouldn’t be leaning into his elite skills. He’s a rare player who can score regularly from low danger areas, so it’s not clear to me why you wouldn’t want him to shoot from low danger areas, even if sometimes it seems like a “low IQ“ play or whatever.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Then the Flyers are extremely dumb drafting a player like that 5th overall. At least the Ducks traded for him AFTER he had decent Worlds and WJC's :laugh:
It was always a risky pick that was highly criticized among flyers fans.

You really didn't see the flyers fandom rhetoric around him during the tournament. He was highly criticized to the point flyers writers had to point out his point totals and such.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Yeah, no. If there's one thing additional to the organizational hatred among Flyers fans here at HF, it's their universal alliance on questioning both the pick and his ability and what his actual ceiling is.

This is not a function of the trade and can be easily found out even if you just browse the recent WJC thread on their forum where I was one primarily defending that he's not a finished product at 19. But the criticisms are documented and well deserved. The question has always been will he overcome them?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

He will be playing with one of Carlsson, McTavish, or Zegras. Literally all he will need to do is have his stick on the ice and shoot and he will score 3x as many goals as any player on our current roster.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We live in a world… holy cow

Then you’re equally immature lmao
If you told a team to not contact you, and then they try to contact you without your representation there, you don't owe them a meeting. Especially, when they are trying to change your mind. That's why you have representation. That's a simple reality. It's actually unprofessional of Philly to try to meet with him behind his representations back after he told them not to contact him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If you told a team to not contact you, and then they try to contact you without your representation there, you don't owe them a meeting. Especially, when they are trying to change your mind. That's why you have representation. That's a simple reality. It's actually unprofessional of Philly to try to meet with him behind his representations back after he told them not to contact him.
Yep. It’s extremely unprofessional of Philadelphia and it’s not exclusive to hockey. Make it a corporate setting - the same applies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
100% agreed. Management teams shouldn't expect free access to their unsigned players. Agents exist for a reason.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
He will be playing with one of Carlsson, McTavish, or Zegras. Literally all he will need to do is have his stick on the ice and shoot and he will score 3x as many goals as any player on our current roster.
I don’t doubt it, I just think the trade was a good hockey trade, overall, I don’t think anyone will actually win this trade unless the flyers get crazy lucky with the 2nd rounder. But hey maybe I’m wrong maybe all the hours I’ve watched Gauthier play are not what I thought he develops into a star or something then Anaheim wins. Who knows man

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
If that’s the case then Verbeek was an idiot to include a pick. Or he really wanted to moved from Drysdale…

Why? He’s negotiating against 18-20 other teams, he likely had to include the pick or there’s the possibility Philly takes a better offer from elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad