C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Most Flyers fans don't view him as a future Center. He just doesn't play like one at all. That won't stop the Flyers organization from trying to shoe-horn him into that role to his detriment.

It is really the Flyers shoe-horning him into that role? Hasn't BC been playing him at center for two seasons now?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It is really the Flyers shoe-horning him into that role? Hasn't BC been playing him at center for two seasons now?

That's fair. Point remains that the Flyers likely won't be able to identify what position suits him best. I hope i'm wrong. They did that shit to Brayden Schenn for years and it hurt his performance here.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Most Flyers fans don't view him as a future Center. He just doesn't play like one at all. That won't stop the Flyers organization from trying to shoe-horn him into that role to his detriment.
No arguments with me, but I think when you have a guy with these kinds of tools who has played exclusively center in the NCAA, it’s worth testing him as a center in the NHL. But it should become apparent pretty quickly if he looks like he’ll work out at center or not and adjustments to developmental strategy should be made as necessary.

All I mean is that how he transitions to the NHL will be interesting to follow, given how he looks in the NCAA now.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
The word on the street at BC was it was a big push by Gauthier himself and the Flyers to have him at center, with the Flyers drafting him to project as a center and BC was fine with it. He didn't play a ton of it at the NTDP but I think it'll help him in the long run. He's gotten infinitely better defensively than he was when he first got to BC. He's turned into a really good penalty killer for them and plays center well defensively, he's just got very good at faceoffs. I also don't love his transition game as a center. Like I said before, I think he's a winger at the NHL level and that'll damper some of transition game issues I see with him and allow him to bring more of the power into his game he flashes but doesn't always show because of where he is positionally

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not impressed with his play so far at the WJS. 4 points in 3 games but hasn’t controlled the game as I expected.
McGroarty doesn't look like himself and its hurt them. They played better with Moore in the pre-tournament games.

Not defending Moore, he hasn't been good this year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not impressed with his play so far at the WJS. 4 points in 3 games but hasn’t controlled the game as I expected.
Yea he's looked pretty unimpressive IMO. He just shoots everything like a robot, most don't even hit the net. Very low hockey IQ is what stands out.

And the points he's gotten were off a few faceoff wins last game in the beatdown vs Swiss.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Yea he's looked pretty unimpressive IMO. He just shoots everything like a robot, most don't even hit the net. Very low hockey IQ is what stands out.

And the points he's gotten were off a few faceoff wins last game in the beatdown vs Swiss.

Yeah, don’t really agree. He’s been good, not great though. I’d argue he’s shooting less than be should, actually. He’s made quite a few setups - ones that have been missed too by McGroarty in particular. Watch the last few mins of game today - he hounds the puck, makes legit passes - but his shot is actually off and not working great. Seems like he’s over passing more than over shooting.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Leading the tourney in points lol, and everyone just complaining about him. Its like the story of his career, not worth the 5th overall pick, dominates worlds, leading the tourney so far......crickets. Seems like he will have a Rodney Dangerfield type of career.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Yeah, don’t really agree. He’s been good, not great though. I’d argue he’s shooting less than be should, actually. He’s made quite a few setups - ones that have been missed too by McGroarty in particular. Watch the last few mins of game today - he hounds the puck, makes legit passes - but his shot is actually off and not working great. Seems like he’s over passing more than over shooting.
Game 1 against Norway he must have missed the net 4 or 5 times on clean looks from the right dot. You could see his frustration, and he seemed to adopt a pass-first mentality since then. Really can't complain about his results doing that.

He's overdue to snipe a few goals.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Who would've thought after 5 games and 2 exhibition games the only real area of concern for Gauthier as a Center is his shot lol.... His play making, control of the puck, using his size and speed, face offs, defensive positioning all have been fantastic, his ability to take a pass at high speed..... Kid has been great imo and if he actually scored on 2 or 3 more goals out of the 30 odd chances (lol) he's had this discussion would be about how great could he be at the pro level.....

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If they correct the total points to 3 today, (which they should) I think that's 17 points in 7 games including the 2 exhibition games!!!!!!!!!! Thats with the US pretty much rolling 4 lines..... that's impressive even if he can't buy a goal with his 40 plus shots lol

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Leading the tourney in points lol, and everyone just complaining about him. Its like the story of his career, not worth the 5th overall pick, dominates worlds, leading the tourney so far......crickets. Seems like he will have a Rodney Dangerfield type of career.
Half his points are off O-zone faceoff wins.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Half his points are off O-zone faceoff wins.

If half of 12 is 2 or 3, sure. Lets take away the goals off of face off wins because … reasons. Or why not from the PP? They have an extra man, they don’t count either.

The notion that a tournament leading scorer with great underlying metrics is somehow disappointing is a joke.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If half of 12 is 2 or 3, sure. Lets take away the goals off of face off wins because … reasons. Or why not from the PP? They have an extra man, they don’t count either.

The notion that a tournament leading scorer with great underlying metrics is somehow disappointing is a joke.
I watched the games. He was not impressive, the opposite. Poor angle or perimeter shots. Not assertive. Looks like a guy with the all the tools but the mental part isn’t there.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I haven’t found him to be all that impressive. I could be in the minority but he’s looked like an all tools, no toolbox kind of player to me. The size, speed, and strength are evident but he seems very formulaic in how he plays and doesn’t seem to read the game particularly well. There have been at least 6-8 other US players that have stood out more for me.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I haven’t found him to be all that impressive. I could be in the minority but he’s looked like an all tools, no toolbox kind of player to me. The size, speed, and strength are evident but he seems very formulaic in how he plays and doesn’t seem to read the game particularly well. There have been at least 6-8 other US players that have stood out more for me.
Not just you. He hasn't been as good as he could be, or at least how I think he could be

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017

Ya Flyers certainly don't need that with the absolute worst power player in existence. Oh noooo, not another face-off assist, looks like he will need 5 seasons in Lehigh before hfboard Flyer fans think he's ready to be Scott Laughton

Reactions: phil162888

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I'm looking at his points and he's the leading scorer of the tournament, but I've watched all of USA games and he didn't impress me at all, he's big, fast, strong and has a great shot, but I don't love his decisions with the puck. Maybe I'm not seeing some things, I'm not a scout lol.

Other USA forwards impressed me more: the whole Leonard, Perreault, Smith and also Nazar and Brindley.

An I wrong here? Is my eye test the same as yours?

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Normally the 6-8th best player leads the team and tournament in points, shots and is essentially the QB of the #1 PP..... Sure......
I watched the games. He was not impressive, the opposite. Poor angle or perimeter shots. Not assertive. Looks like a guy with the all the tools but the mental part isn’t there.

I'm looking at his points and he's the leading scorer of the tournament, but I've watched all of USA games and he didn't impress me at all, he's big, fast, strong and has a great shot, but I don't love his decisions with the puck. Maybe I'm not seeing some things, I'm not a scout lol.

Other USA forwards impressed me more: the whole Leonard, Perreault, Smith and also Nazar and Brindley.

Did you watch all the games? No way you could have and written that Smith, Perrault have been better.... today they were good and better than Cutter despite the GW goal (Perrault perhaps the last 2 games has been better)....not in the other 7 games... Leonard has not put up the points but has been very noticeable in most of the games so I won't argue there..... Brindley has been the other most consistent forward.... Nazar has had some great games and then hasn't done much in other games but overall him and Brindley are definitely worthy of praise...Cutter was nominated for top 3 US player for a reason... he's been good very good

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA

Gautheir will have a good career. I don’t suspect he will be an elite player in the league but he’ll find a role.

I think you’re pretty spot on about him not being the most impressive player. He’s not going to be a real play driver but his raw tools are going to make him a player that puts up good numbers in the NHL.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Gautheir will have a good career. I don’t suspect he will be an elite player in the league but he’ll find a role.

I think you’re pretty spot on about him not being the most impressive player. He’s not going to be a real play driver but his raw tools are going to make him a player that puts up good numbers in the NHL.
With all due respect.....I'm assuming this is based on watching him some other time because I just don't get this comment when he's been the key driver on arguably the US #1 line for the entire tournament including prelims (even though carle does spread the minutes out pretty evenly).... He's the one driving the play on his line.... on the PP ... bringing the puck into the zone making the passes......It just doesn't make any sense at least in this tournament. Last year tourney yes...this year I don't get it (PS i know your not a hater so don't mean to jump all over you).. his passes go awry some time, and he shoots a ton are fair criticism (personally think their overstated but that's my opinion).. Good luck to US in the finals from a CDN fan!!

Last edited:

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I guess there is a strong Rashomon effect here haha. The main reason why I said I wasn't impressed is that it seemed to me that when Gauthier had the puck in the offensive zone the play seemed to die often, he doesn't seem to pick the optimal decision with the puck when he has it. But yet again I'm not a scout, I watch the game for having fun I don't take notes on players and sometimes I'm least attentive I might have missed something

The comment about Smith and Perreault not being noticeable, yet again I strongly disagree. Perreault (maybe apart from Hutson) was the most dangerous player with the puck, he generates so much scoring chances. Same for Smith, buy it's less surprising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad