C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Briere gets to fill the cupboard with his own picks. His guys. Not holdovers.
Cutter isnt a holdover the same way Tyson Foerster and Eliot Desnoyers are lol hes a quality prospect that cant easily be replaced just by having a draft pick in the same range. Even Logan Cooley hasnt had as impressive a season as Gauthier's year just was. Its not worth imo, Arizona got better and if Cooley signs theyre even better still. I think the Flyers pick will be end up being a higher pick than Arizona's and thats as much of a gamble as Im willing to make.

How bout you give me that pick and next years and I give you this Sean Couturier

Reactions: Guadana

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Cutter isnt a holdover the same way Tyson Foerster and Eliot Desnoyers are lol hes a quality prospect that cant easily be replaced just by having a draft pick in the same range. Even Logan Cooley hasnt had as impressive a season as Gauthier's year just was. Its not worth imo, Arizona got better and if Cooley signs theyre even better still. I think the Flyers pick will be end up being a higher pick than Arizona's and thats as much of a gamble as Im willing to make.

How bout you give me that pick and next years and I give you this Sean Couturier
Cooley did sign. No interest in Couturier.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
AZ won’t make the playoffs, though.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Zucker
Maccelli-Bjugstad-Guenther
Kerfoot-McBain-Boyd
O’Brien

Moser-Dumba
Valimaki-Durzi
Dermott-Brown
Stecher

Vejmelka
Ingram

^ so still a lottery pick. :)
in name only
all the bottom 10 picks are lottery picks but by the time you get to the 10th theres only a 3% chance of moving up to 1st. 2nd overall only has a 13% chance of moving up, so the math doesnt support trading Gauthier especially if I as the GM feel like your team will finish higher in the standings than mine

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
AZ won’t make the playoffs, though.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz
Crouse-Cooley-Zucker
Maccelli-Bjugstad-Guenther
Kerfoot-McBain-Boyd
O’Brien

Moser-Dumba
Valimaki-Durzi
Dermott-Brown
Stecher

Vejmelka
Ingram

^ so still a lottery pick. :)

I actually really like this Arizona team and think they will surprise a lot of teams.... be a tough out.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Getting one of Celebrini, Eiserman, Demidiov or Levshunov would be fantastic… It Couturier and Atkinson are mostly back to form upon their return, I’m a little worried that they, along with guys like TK and Hart might push them more into that 6-8 range again though.
Couturier is not going to have much of an impact this season. He'll probably be a shell of himself. Many insider types are saying things to prepare fans for the fact that Couturier won't be helping very much

Atkinson will probably be further along, but he may experience a similar phenomenon to Farabee after returning from neck surgery. Especially considering Atkinson is 34 yo ....

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Couturier is not going to have much of an impact this season. He'll probably be a shell of himself. Many insider types are saying things to prepare fans for the fact that Couturier won't be helping very much

Atkinson will probably be further along, but he may experience a similar phenomenon to Farabee after returning from neck surgery. Especially considering Atkinson is 34 yo ....
I read flyers news religiously and have not read anything remotely close to what you're saying on coots.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I read flyers news religiously and have not read anything remotely close to what you're saying on coots.
Well yeah it's not exactly the type of content that's going to get readers excited. Russ Cohen (Sportsology) said these things I was mentioning

But even just from basic logic. Couturier hasn't played a game since late 2021. Since then he's had 2 back surgeries. Back injuries are no joke. And for someone who is 30 yo, getting back to peak performance shape after such a saga could be a real challenge

Russ' words were that fans should prepare for the notion that Couturier is going to need load management during the season, even if everything goes to plan and there are no additional aggravations of his back

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
In my mind the Flyers should be very bad for the next 2 years (possibly 3); they should be on the upswing in ~3-4 years; they should be making noise and ready to contend 5 years out. I’ve learned that no one should count their chickens before they hatch but unless guys flat out bust, the Flyers in theory should have a nice roster in about 5 years

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Fine! Haha. Philly can keep Gauthier. :)

I’ll just cross fingers and toes that Adam Jiricek is there at our spot
Zona will have to draft around 5-6-7-8 again for Jiricek to be on the board still i think. He’s gonna go pretty high for sure!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
In my mind the Flyers should be very bad for the next 2 years (possibly 3); they should be on the upswing in ~3-4 years; they should be making noise and ready to contend 5 years out. I’ve learned that no one should count their chickens before they hatch but unless guys flat out bust, the Flyers in theory should have a nice roster in about 5 years
Five years? Does the name Tortorella ring a bell? If the Flyers aren't competitive this year and a playoff team in 2024-25 I'd be shocked.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
As a PHI fan hoping Gauthier gets to 50+ points this year assuming he playing over 30 games, along with recalling honing in on his defensive abilities

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
As a PHI fan hoping Gauthier gets to 50+ points this year assuming he playing over 30 games, along with recalling honing in on his defensive abilities
should be very, very possible considering the freshman class BC is getting. If he draws Leonard or Smith (in the event Cutter plays on the wing), honestly 60 is possible

I find it interesting that last year his BC stat line was 16 G, 21 A .. then at the WC he goes 7 G, 2 A. It's almost like he was holding back on shooting volume with BC. Or they weren't getting the puck to him enough

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

Just asking as an outsider, why is Gauthier's season more impressive than Cooley's? Cooley had more assists than Gauthier had points. Cooley had more goals, more assists and 60 points to Gauthier had 37 points.

So what am I missing that the stats dont tell besides that Cutter is a big, fast pwf, while Cooley is a smaller skilled player?

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Just asking as an outsider, why is Gauthier's season more impressive than Cooley's? Cooley had more assists than Gauthier had points. Cooley had more goals, more assists and 60 points to Gauthier had 37 points.

So what am I missing that the stats dont tell besides that Cutter is a big, fast pwf, while Cooley is a smaller skilled player?
i guess you would have had to spend time watching both and im not trying to take anything away from Cooleys season but Cooley had a lot more help than Cutter did during their respective seasons, having guys like Knies and Snuggerud. Logan put up a good amount points at the world juniors, but Cutter really opened my eyes at the world championship so theres probably some recency bias, 7g in 10 games against pros is impressive for a 19 year old

Reactions: Devonator

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
i guess you would have had to spend time watching both and im not trying to take anything away from Cooleys season but Cooley had a lot more help than Cutter did during their respective seasons, having guys like Knies and Snuggerud. Logan put up a good amount points at the world juniors, but Cutter really opened my eyes at the world championship so theres probably some recency bias, 7g in 10 games against pros is impressive for a 19 year old
good to know! I was a fan of Cutter but didnt follow closely prior to his draft year. Was hoping Canucks could perhaps get him at 15 or trade up to 9-10ish and get him. So when I read this, I was very curious since from looking at the stats, Cooley had one of the best seasons in recent years.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Short answer: Gauthier's season wasn't as impressive, let alone more impressive, than Cooley's.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Is there anything known on the likelihood of Gauthier signing and playing late season games with the Flyers once the college season is over?

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
Short answer: Gauthier's season wasn't as impressive, let alone more impressive, than Cooley's.
I could see a case where this could be argued

Gauthier: 10 points at WJC (looked snake bitten though)
Cooley: 14

Gauthier makes this up by playing at the World Championship where he was 8th in points (more than Fantilli/Carlsson combined) playing pretty far down the lineup

Cooley's Minnesota team played for a national championship with two other elite prospects in Snuggerud and Knies whereas Gauthier basically was BC's whole team

Reactions: tnfrs

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Gauthier makes this up by playing at the World Championship where he was 8th in points (more than Fantilli/Carlsson combined) playing pretty far down the lineup

Cooley's Minnesota team played for a national championship with two other elite prospects in Snuggerud and Knies whereas Gauthier basically was BC's whole team

Not really. People put far too much stock in short tournaments, whether it's Cooley at the WJC or Gauthier at a watered down WC. If you look at their entire years it's Cooley and it's not all that close, even though Gauthier did have an excellent year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Naah Cooley very clearly had the more impressive season. Gauthier was great at the WC but Cooley was much better in the WJC. Had Cooley played at the WC it's likely he matches or surpasses Gauthier's totals. He would have been the team's best center.

And yeah, Cooley had better NCAA linemates, but he also lapped them in scoring. From mid November onwards I believe he led the entire NCAA in scoring (or right behind Fantilli).

The fact that Cooley outscored his (superior) linemates by a larger margin than Gauthier is pretty telling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad