C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Huh? Don’t they have multiple own draft picks who’ve turned in to solid players?

Foester, York, Provorov, Konecny, Sanheim, Aube-Kubel, Laughton, Couturier, Cousins and Ghost are all legit NHL’ers by now.
Defensively sound prospects are given the benefit of the doubt. Offensively minded prospects that don't play "the right way" are not developed properly.

- Couturier had to ask for a more offensive role himself
- Sanheim was told to "reign in" his rover instincts in the AHL and never given a shot to QB a pp
- Ghost had his breakout year when he "ignored" the coach (his quote)
- Frost dicked around with lesser players and Cates handed minutes with better players like TK.
- Provy was given the PP qb role when anyone could see if wasn't for him and it hurt his ev offensive play

They had the top or near top prospect pool in 2018 and all have underperformed expectations.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This thread screams ignorance. He would have to pay his own way to go. Travel, hotel , meals etc... he played a lot of hockey. Dude just needs a break. And the agent angle lol what do you pay them for?

People need to get out of their moms basement
Lol paying his own way would cost him what, $500? Its been stated multiple times he didn't need to show up to skate and workout. He should have shown face and got to know the guys. I can guarantee you him not being there was a topic of discussion.

And this isn't a situation an agent handles, and if it was that's even a worse look on the kid. Pick up the phone and have a conversation. Also his "agent", which is actually just an advisor not an agent, makes peanuts, if anything at all from Gauthier right now. He hasn't signed a contract.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Briere was obviously not aware of the reasons why Gauthier didnt attend, he supposed it was because of a busy year for him, but he admitted they were looking at understanding what happened.

Note that Philly could have drafted Leonard instead of Michkov, who will join Gauthier at Boston college next season. We also heard alot of noise about Michkov being an asshole with his teammates, coaches ect. Not saying its related for sure, but thats definitely a possibility. Maybe Gauthier was pissed off at that decision.

Briere took a pretty big risk with Michkov, could end up looking really good, or really bad.
He took no risk. Love Leonard but I'll take Michkov over two Leonard's

Reactions: Yawn and tnfrs

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
You think he has legitimate #1C potential? I don’t see the Flyers drafting quite that high next year, probably more in the 5-8 range again. Not sure there will be a super high upside center there for them at that range, so Cutter might be their best hope for one.
I absolutely see Cutter being a 1C putting up 40-40-80+

I also like Flyers chances of getting a top 5 pick in each of the next two stacked drafts. If they're able to land Celebrini, Demidov, Hagens or Misa then the flexibility with Cutter will come into play. I'd be just as happy with Flyers taking Eiserman and keeping Cutter at C

Eiserman-Cutter-Michkov would be disgusting.

Nothing about Cutter's game suggests to me that he can't be a top 6 or even #1C in the NHL, he has it all at this point. During draft night I questioned it a bit, mainly due to being all in on Jiricek and neglecting Cutter and not watching a lot of his film. I think objectively he's had the best. If not one of the best D+1 seasons (along with Jiricek ironically enough)

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I found brieres comments odd. It’s like they had never really spoken. Would expect much higher level of communication with organizations top prospect.
You also have to take into consideration how busy Danny was with the draft, it's not all that odd to me honestly

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Defensively sound prospects are given the benefit of the doubt. Offensively minded prospects that don't play "the right way" are not developed properly.

- Couturier had to ask for a more offensive role himself
- Sanheim was told to "reign in" his rover instincts in the AHL and never given a shot to QB a pp
- Ghost had his breakout year when he "ignored" the coach (his quote)
- Frost dicked around with lesser players and Cates handed minutes with better players like TK.
- Provy was given the PP qb role when anyone could see if wasn't for him and it hurt his ev offensive play

They had the top or near top prospect pool in 2018 and all have underperformed expectations.

I don't know what you were expecting out TK but he's hasn't underperformed anything

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I don't know what you were expecting out TK but he's hasn't underperformed anything
True, but he was bumped from the first line for raffl when it was obvious he was the better player and scratched when down on confidence after being an Allstar. There is a double standard.

Laine or makar types would have had issues with the Flyers development and Michkov may likely as well. You have to maximize prospect potential and trade value even if you don't like their game. Flyers instead will try to mold a player in their dino-vision at the expense of their skill/creative offensive development.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
True, but he was bumped from the first line for raffl when it was obvious he was the better player and scratched when down on confidence after being an Allstar. There is a double standard.

Laine or makar types would have had issues with the Flyers development and Michkov may likely as well. You have to maximize prospect potential and trade value even if you don't like their game. Flyers instead will try to mold a player in their dino-vision at the expense of their skill/creative offensive development.
That's not really happening currently with Frost, Tippett, etc. Seem to be making good progress. Besides, Michkov is the kind of player who could probably get a coach fired. Danny Briere of all GMs should know about the differences between player types

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
So it’s settled he’s doing one more year in college?
Yes, hell get his max games in the NHL but they're not going to rush him and waste an ELC, nor with the current structure of the team

That's not really happening currently with Frost, Tippett, etc. Seem to be making good progress. Besides, Michkov is the kind of player who could probably get a coach fired. Danny Briere of all GMs should know about the differences between player types
The type of player to get a coach fired? Explain? Literally all of those hit piece rumors on him have been debunked

Reactions: Deas

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Yes, hell get his max games in the NHL but they're not going to rush him and waste an ELC, nor with the current structure of the team

The type of player to get a coach fired? Explain? Literally all of those hit piece rumors on him have been debunked
I mean that the caliber of player Michkov is.. can get a coach fired. He's so talented that if a coach is being unfair or stupid with him, it'll probably just get him fired

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I absolutely see Cutter being a 1C putting up 40-40-80+

I also like Flyers chances of getting a top 5 pick in each of the next two stacked drafts. If they're able to land Celebrini, Demidov, Hagens or Misa then the flexibility with Cutter will come into play. I'd be just as happy with Flyers taking Eiserman and keeping Cutter at C

Eiserman-Cutter-Michkov would be disgusting.

Nothing about Cutter's game suggests to me that he can't be a top 6 or even #1C in the NHL, he has it all at this point. During draft night I questioned it a bit, mainly due to being all in on Jiricek and neglecting Cutter and not watching a lot of his film. I think objectively he's had the best. If not one of the best D+1 seasons (along with Jiricek ironically enough)
The fact that we're only 3 months into the rebuild and we already have Michkov, Cutter, Foerster, Bonk and a bunch of goalies is a pretty good start. Id put that up against Chicago right now with Bedard, Reichel, Moore, and Korchinski in terms of prospect strength, and theyve been tanking deliberately for a few years already. I feel like we havent improved enough to finish any better in the standings, but when I look at all the names that would be the most likely candidates to trade: TK, Hart, Petersen, Staal, Walker, Frost, Atkinson and even Couturier who doesnt have a no movement clause, if they ALL have great year we might end up being a playoff team by accident.

The more i think about it, the more Im worried that Danny rolls this roster on opening night. I've been holding out hope for more trades and Ive been expecting them all summer but I think the Hockey Canada thing is holding it up. If we can trade Hart and Peterson plays like shit maybe thats all it takes to bottom out. But maybe 4 people score 30 goals and Sanheim and York go beast mode lol and our goalies alternate vezina quality starting duties.

The more I think about it the more I have no fkn idea what to expect this year

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The fact that we're only 3 months into the rebuild and we already have Michkov, Cutter, Foerster, Bonk and a bunch of goalies is a pretty good start. Id put that up against Chicago right now with Bedard, Reichel, Moore, and Korchinski in terms of prospect strength, and theyve been tanking deliberately for a few years already. I feel like we havent improved enough to finish any better in the standings, but when I look at all the names that would be the most likely candidates to trade: TK, Hart, Petersen, Staal, Walker, Frost, Atkinson and even Couturier who doesnt have a no movement clause, if they ALL have great year we might end up being a playoff team by accident.

The more i think about it, the more Im worried that Danny rolls this roster on opening night. I've been holding out hope for more trades and Ive been expecting them all summer but I think the Hockey Canada thing is holding it up. If we can trade Hart and Peterson plays like shit maybe thats all it takes to bottom out. But maybe 4 people score 30 goals and Sanheim and York go beast mode lol and our goalies alternate vezina quality starting duties.

They need to ship guys out, there is zero reason for this team to attempt to be competitive the next few years. Imagine if Philly gets 1st overall next or the year after, the rebuild could be one of the quickest in recent memory if it's done correctly.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
They need to ship guys out, there is zero reason for this team to attempt to be competitive the next few years. Imagine if Philly gets 1st overall next or the year after, the rebuild could be one of the quickest in recent memory if it's done correctly.
Instead I expect they’ll pick 6-10 again this year. We get get another great player there not an elite one!

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
i know what youre saying, getting another lottery pick this year helps for sure, but we all know the team wont tank on purpose or at least it wont say its tanking publicly. and i dont think we're going on a cinderella run, too much has to go perfect and if any one part breaks the whole machine stops, but theres a chance nothing breaks and were sitting at deadline with 10m cap space available and a winning record lol. does danny make a move? or does he let it ride?

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018

There is 0 chance Philly will accidentally be a playoff team this year.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
@tnfrs @Nabrules @GodKingMichkov
It's interesting to look at the standings in 2014-15 and compare them to 2015-16. The first was the McDavid year and teams were deliberately tanking, so the worst team had 54 points and the fifth worst had 71 points. The year after, owners and execs decided to make their teams more competitive since they just tanked, and points went up in 2015-16. In 2016, the worst team finished with 69 points and the 3rd worst team had 75 pts. This happened even though Matthews was there

The same thing might be happening right now. Teams just tanked for Bedard and owners and execs are trying to become more competitive. Chicago added Bedard, Hall, and a full year of Reichel. Columbus added Fantilli, Provorov, Severson, maybe Jiricek. Anaheim added Carlsson, Killorn, Gudas, Hagg. Montreal added Newhook, Petry, Slafkovsky will improve. Coyotes added Cooley, Durzi, Dumba, and Moser could have more impact.

The only teams who are NOT trying to improve are San Jose and Philadelphia. I'm pretty convinced the same thing is going to happen. The Flyers didn't try to tank and still got 75 points last year. Now we're actually subtracting. Couturier will likely be a shell of himself and I will not be surprised to see more trades. Even if we have the same number of points and get 75 points again, we could still finish 3rd worst. If we do worse, well.. maybe 2nd worst. It'll probably be hard to be worse than San Jose

Last edited:
Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
@tnfrs @Nabrules @GodKingMichkov
It's interesting to look at the standings in 2014-15 and compare them to 2015-16. The first was the McDavid year and teams were deliberately tanking, so the worst team had 54 points and the fifth worst had 71 points. The year after, owners and execs decided to make their teams more competitive since they just tanked, and points went up in 2015-16. In 2016, the worst team finished with 69 points and the 3rd worst team had 75 pts. This happened even though Matthews was there

The same thing might be happening right now. Teams just tanked for Bedard and owners and execs are trying to become more competitive. Chicago added Bedard, Hall, and a full year of Reichel. Columbus added Fantilli, Provorov, Severson, maybe Jiricek. Anaheim added Carlsson, Killorn, Gudas, Hagg. Montreal added Newhook, Petry, Slafkovsky will improve. Coyotes added Cooley, Durzi, Dumba, and Moser could have more impact.

The only teams who are NOT trying to improve are San Jose and Philadelphia. I'm pretty convinced the same thing is going to happen. The Flyers didn't try to tank and still got 75 points last year. Now we're actually subtracting. Couturier will likely be a shell of himself and I will not be surprised to see more trades. Even if we have the same number of points and get 75 points again, we could still finish 3rd worst. If we do worse, well.. maybe 2nd worst. It'll probably be hard to be worse than San Jose
ya i agree with this

i feel like Danny did everything he could to give the players the best chance to be successful while still leaning into a rebuild. Marc Staal is no Chris Pronger he wont will us into the playoffs on his own but for average fans buying tickets its an easier sell than losing on purpose. My brain tells me we're not improved enough on paper though, and Im not hoping for good season. I just hope everyone takes a step forward but not enough where front office might be tempted to buy at the deadline. As a fan I always want the players already in the system to have a fair chance. So im mostly just thinking outloud saying they might surprise people.

Reactions: Nabrules and Unger9

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Chicago’s top 4 is quite a bit better than Philly’s IMO, and Chicago’s depth is way better. For example, this ranking (NEW BN Blackhawks Top 30 Prospect Rankings: Bedard Tops The List - Bleacher Nation) has:
14. Sam Rinzel
15. Arvid Soderblom
16. Drew Commesso
17. Nolan Allan

Those are very strong prospects to have down around 14th-17th on your org’s depth chart.

Don’t get me wrong, Philly has a nice prospect pool too, it’s just not overly close to Chicago’s.

Also, dunno if I agree about Philly being 3 months into their rebuild - they were even worse in 2021/22 than 2022/23, and fairly bad in 2020/21 too. I’d say they’re more like ~2 years in. Or at least 1 year in - you could argue they were trying to be good in 2021/22, just failed, but IMO they didn’t really try to field a competitive roster in 2022/23.

Last edited:

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Chicago’s top 4 is quite a bit better than Philly’s IMO, and Chicago’s depth is way better. For example, this ranking (NEW BN Blackhawks Top 30 Prospect Rankings: Bedard Tops The List - Bleacher Nation) has:
14. Sam Rinzel
15. Arvid Soderblom
16. Drew Commesso
17. Nolan Allan

Those are very strong prospects to have down around 14th-17th on your org’s depth chart.

Don’t get me wrong, Philly has a nice prospect pool too, it’s just not overly close to Chicago’s.
i honestly have no idea who any of those players are and I was just comparing the first handful of top prospects, i bet you both fanbases will see things differently but comparing top 4s you can the make arguments for either side. If we're including depth guys Jr Avon and Denver Barkey were the top centers in the OHL Playoffs with Peterborough and London, Gendron scored almost a goal game in the Q, Alex Bump had some of the best metrics in the entire USHL last year over guys like Will Smith and Celebrini playing on a bummy team, every team has prospects down the list that mean something only to their fanbases, theres no point in flexing until theyve played some games though but its interesting to note that chicago has deliberately been throwing away assets to tank for about 3 years now and has ended up with a prospect pool that more or less mirrors Philly's in terms of strengths and Philly hasnt sold the farm

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
14. Sam Rinzel
15. Arvid Soderblom
16. Drew Commesso
17. Nolan Allan

Also, dunno if I agree about Philly being 3 months into their rebuild - they were even worse in 2021/22 than 2022/23, and fairly bad in 2020/21 too. I’d say they’re more like ~2 years in. Or at least 1 year in - you could argue they were trying to be good in 2021/22, just failed, but IMO they didn’t really try to field a competitive roster in 2022/23.
Being bad isn`t the same as being in rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad