C Cutter Gauthier - (2022, 5th, PHI; traded to ANA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Should be noted that he attended last year’s camp so that is his one permitted Flyers paid camp per NCAA rules, if he attended this year it would have been on his own dime so it’s not very surprising he declined. Especially having played the World Championship and all the travel. Briere said he’s not at all concerned about it.
I found brieres comments odd. It’s like they had never really spoken. Would expect much higher level of communication with organizations top prospect.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Sorry the article is in french, but it has some tweets in english in it.

Basically, it says that Cutter Gauthier refused to attend the Flyers camp for reasons unknown to Danny Brière.

He later said his agent informed Briere it was because Gauthier had participated in men’s worlds and was going to participate in junior worlds camp in July or something. Just wanted a break and Briere was ok with it

Reactions: Devonator

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Call me a hater but Im not even sure Shane wright goes top 10 anymore. I like Savoies electric skill/skating combination over Wright's "wait and react" approach. I'm also taking Hutson over wright at this point.

Gauthier is really interesting because he seems to fly under the radar despite everything he's done, he was a riser and he kept that trajectory up this year, nothing about him makes me believe he won't at the bare minimum be a good #2 C with #1 potential.
#1 Cooley
#2 Cutter
#3 Nemec
#4 Jiricek
#5 Slaf
#6 Mintyukov
#7 Snuggerud
#8 Korchinski
#9 Kasper
#10 Hutson
#11 Savoie
#12 Kulich
#13 Wright

I agree

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sorry the article is in french, but it has some tweets in english in it.

Basically, it says that Cutter Gauthier refused to attend the Flyers camp for reasons unknown to Danny Brière.

Attended last year (and impressed). Believe in the case of NCAA players they can attend two camps (paying their own way).

With USA U20 camp later this month I'd imagine he is training and/or recovering from a long year in preparation of what figures to be another long season in 2023-24.

Just conjecture.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
#1 Cooley
#2 Cutter
#3 Nemec
#4 Jiricek
#5 Slaf
#6 Mintyukov
#7 Snuggerud
#8 Korchinski
#9 Kasper
#10 Hutson
#11 Savoie
#12 Kulich
#13 Wright

I agree
The Flyers definitely did well despite how much some Flyers fans seem to dislike him… Jiricek is really the only player that you could argue as of now that would have been a better pick at #5.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
The Flyers definitely did well despite how much some Flyers fans seem to dislike him… Jiricek is really the only player that you could argue as of now that would have been a better pick at #5.
I don´t think Flyers fans dislike him. I think Flyers fans are frustrated with what is seen as a flawed process in their management - that's too big a topic for this thread. I think most flyers fans are thrilled the pick is looking as good as it has so far, but a lot of us think his skillset is much better suited to a wing, meaning they still have a huge need for a #1C in the system that can dish the puck to these top notch scorers they've drafted two years in a row.

Reactions: Wise Boi

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I don´t think Flyers fans dislike him. I think Flyers fans are frustrated with what is seen as a flawed process in their management - that's too big a topic for this thread. I think most flyers fans are thrilled the pick is looking as good as it has so far, but a lot of us think his skillset is much better suited to a wing, meaning they still have a huge need for a #1C in the system that can dish the puck to these top notch scorers they've drafted two years in a row.
Well, if the Flyers end up with Gauthier and Michkov as 1st line wingers it’s nothing to be sad about!

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

Not to mention the gaping hole at D that could have been filled by Jiricek.

But I'll give credit where credits due...Fletcher was nowhere near as bad at drafting as he was at trading and signing free agents... he couldn't possibly be.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
From what I’ve seen, the Flyers board are lower on him than most, mostly because he was a Fletcher pick. The Flyers need all the talent they can get, so if he ends up as a winger and he was the BPA, then so be it. You could argue they should have went with Jiricek since their D core is atrocious, but that’s about the only player that seems close enough to make it an argument, even without considering positional value. Even in hindsight, it seems Gauthier was a far better pick than any of the centers that were available. The real issue is that they refuse to completely bottom out to get that true #1C prospect that you referenced, but that’s a whole different discussion.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
Not to mention the gaping hole at D that could have been filled by Jiricek.

But I'll give credit where credits due...Fletcher was nowhere near as bad at drafting as he was at trading and signing free agents... he couldn't possibly be.
A year after the draft and Jiricek is the only player that you could make a legitimate argument for that would have been a better pick at #5 imo. That’s pretty darn good, and it’s still too early to tell who will end up the better play between the two in the long term. Probably Chucks best pick and move as GM if we’re being honest. If there’s one pick or move that he made that Flyers fans should be happy with, it’s definitely drafting Gauthier. At least as of now… We’ll see what kind of year he has coming up.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
A year after the draft and Jiricek is the only player that you could make a legitimate argument for that would have been a better pick at #5 imo. That’s pretty darn good, and it’s still too early to tell who will end up the better play between the two in the long term. Probably Chucks best pick and move as GM if we’re being honest. If there’s one pick or move that he made that Flyers fans should be happy with, it’s definitely drafting Gauthier. At least as of now… We’ll see what kind of year he has coming up.
Honestly, at the risk of giving him perhaps too much credit (he did still pass on Jiricek and Caufield), the guy was pretty good at drafting in the 1st round. Which is also why every time i think of the Risto trade, i throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
Honestly, at the risk of giving him perhaps too much credit (he did still pass on Jiricek and Caufield), the guy was pretty good at drafting in the 1st round. Which is also why every time i think of the Risto trade, i throw up in my mouth a little bit.
York over Caufield is a big miss… Way too early too be saying Gauthier over Jiricek is bad or a mistake though. Jiricek was very impressive in the AHL but Gauthier also had a very good season for a garbage Boston College team who were one of the worst teams in hockey east. Then to top it off, he was one of the best players in the world championships as a U20 player. He’s a big power forward with tons of skill who has been on an upwards trajectory for a couple years in a row now and with even more room to grow. He’s not far off Jiricek if at all imo. Far too early to say one way or the other.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The real issue is that they refuse to completely bottom out to get that true #1C prospect that you referenced, but that’s a whole different discussion.

I think Cutter Gauthier is a true #1C prospect. He's great carrying the puck in transition and well built for defense and tough matchups. You'll need a playmaking wing on his line but there's a lot of centers like that in the NHL who are not top playmakers. And there's a lot of great playmakers who aren't strong enough to play center, so there's going to be a match for him.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

If the Flyers had instead addressed the huge need for #1C, the same people would have faulted management's process as drafting for need instead of BPA.

Reactions: antman12

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
From what I’ve seen, the Flyers board are lower on him than most, mostly because he was a Fletcher pick. The Flyers need all the talent they can get, so if he ends up as a winger and he was the BPA, then so be it. You could argue they should have went with Jiricek since their D core is atrocious, but that’s about the only player that seems close enough to make it an argument, even without considering positional value. Even in hindsight, it seems Gauthier was a far better pick than any of the centers that were available. The real issue is that they refuse to completely bottom out to get that true #1C prospect that you referenced, but that’s a whole different discussion.
There's a lot of uneducated fans that feel Cutter is a winger due to his ability to score/shoot for some reason.. The guy is just as good at C, I don't get the idea that he can't be a 1C. If Flyers end to with Celebrini, Cutter will be great on the wing. If they end up with Eiserman Cutter will be great at C. He can do both just as effectively

Reactions: majormajor

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He later said his agent informed Briere it was because Gauthier had participated in men’s worlds and was going to participate in junior worlds camp in July or something. Just wanted a break and Briere was ok with it
Briere was obviously not aware of the reasons why Gauthier didnt attend, he supposed it was because of a busy year for him, but he admitted they were looking at understanding what happened.

Note that Philly could have drafted Leonard instead of Michkov, who will join Gauthier at Boston college next season. We also heard alot of noise about Michkov being an asshole with his teammates, coaches ect. Not saying its related for sure, but thats definitely a possibility. Maybe Gauthier was pissed off at that decision.

Briere took a pretty big risk with Michkov, could end up looking really good, or really bad.

Last edited:

Fly0rDie

Jun 11, 2016
There's a lot of uneducated fans that feel Cutter is a winger due to his ability to score/shoot for some reason.. The guy is just as good at C, I don't get the idea that he can't be a 1C. If Flyers end to with Celebrini, Cutter will be great on the wing. If they end up with Eiserman Cutter will be great at C. He can do both just as effectively
You think he has legitimate #1C potential? I don’t see the Flyers drafting quite that high next year, probably more in the 5-8 range again. Not sure there will be a super high upside center there for them at that range, so Cutter might be their best hope for one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Briere was obviously not aware of the reasons why Gauthier didnt attend, he supposed it was because of a busy year for him, but he admitted they were looking at understanding what happened.

Note that Philly could have drafted Leonard instead of Michkov, who will join Gauthier at Boston college next season. We also heard alot of noise about Michkov being an asshole with his teammates, coaches ect. Not saying its related for sure, but thats definitely a possibility. Maybe Gauthier was pissed off at that decision.

Briere took a pretty big risk with Michkov, could end up looking really good, or really bad.

I don't think those would be related. I would have taken Leonard though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I don't think those would be related. I would have taken Leonard though.
Its werid that a top 5 prospect declines to attend a rookie camp without informing the org. I never saw that in the past personally. Something had to happen, maybe thats a combo of the heat he got by some Flyers fans and the team decision to draft Michkov over a warrior like Leonard. If Gauthier doesnt like what is going on, he has full control of his destiny. Could pull a Blake Wheeler.

• Haha

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Its werid that a top 5 prospect declines to attend a rookie camp without informing the org. I never saw that in the past personally. Something had to happen, maybe thats a combo of the heat he got by some Flyers fans and the team decision to draft Michkov over a warrior like Leonard. If Gauthier doesnt like what is going on, he has full control of his destiny. Could pull a Blake Wheeler.

It's far more likely that it's just a communication breakdown between the agent and the FO, or maybe someone misspoke. I doubt Gauthier is upset and I highly doubt he has any strong feelings about the draft.

It is common for prospects to not attend development camp - my Jackets just had Jiricek and Svozil beg off for various reasons. Guys need more gym time and more break time in between tournaments, and we know Cutter just played Worlds. Devo camp is not an important commitment.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Lmao is this a joke? Gauthier refused to come to development camp because he was mad the flyers didn’t draft Michkov?

How do people even come up with this crap?

Lmaoooo. Or, it’s a simple miscommunication where he figured his agent had handled it…

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Just read an article about him on NHL site, realistically what do people think this guy can be? What's his closest comparable floor and ceiling? Just wondering from the guys who've seen a lot of him, I truthfully haven't, taken a few years off from the Flyers for my mental health. Watched a ton of Michkov but not much of Gauthier. If anyone can elaborate quickly!? I'm hearing more winger than centre though, in this thread. Please not Flyer fans, just neutral fans with no attachment, genuinely curious.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So flyers should draft C prospect, not Michkov?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad