C Conor Geekie - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2022, 11th, ARI; traded to TBL)

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
interested to see where he goes in the draft, opinions seem mixed on him
Obviously there’s still a lot of hockey left to be played, but I’ll be surprised if he falls out of the top ten. From what I’ve seen, his biggest issue is consistency. When he’s on, he’s amazing. He just goes way too quiet, way too often. That upside is going to be way too tempting for teams in the back half of the top ten to pass up.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Potential to be 1st line C at NHL level? Best comparable? Kirby Dach is a good comparison?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm not as high on him as others seem to be. He's definitely got upside, but I really don't like what I've seen from his foot work and decision making speed. Stylistically reminds me a bit of Nolan Patrick, especially with his skating. He's definitely a powerful skater, with good speed for his size. But his agility and quickness are really lacking. That's to be expected to an extent for a 6'4 kid, but he relies a lot on his size and strength to create separation to make plays, which isn't a highly translatable method at the NHL level.

He's a project prospect for sure.

And to be fair, I had a lot of the same criticism of Mctavish's skating and he's improved leaps and bounds, so it's definitely not out of the question for Geekie to do the same.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
just barely over a PPG it shows

has he been dominant or is he showing signs of his draft stock falling?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm not as high on him as others seem to be. He's definitely got upside, but I really don't like what I've seen from his foot work and decision making speed. Stylistically reminds me a bit of Nolan Patrick, especially with his skating. He's definitely a powerful skater, with good speed for his size. But his agility and quickness are really lacking. That's to be expected to an extent for a 6'4 kid, but he relies a lot on his size and strength to create separation to make plays, which isn't a highly translatable method at the NHL level.

And to be fair, I had a lot of the same criticism of Mctavish's skating and he's improved leaps and bounds, so it's definitely not out of the question for Geekie to do the same.
Skating is the biggest thing holding back his older brother, so deserved or not, that will probably weigh on scouts minds. That said, he's definitely more skilled at a younger age than his brother.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Personally I hope he is available in the middle of the first round so the Canucks can take a shot at him. Usually these type of players dont turn out (Micheal Rasmussen) but if you do hit on them they become very valuable pieces moving forward.

I cant really think of a 2c/3c would would be a good comparable

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
but at best, he could end up as Getzlaf. however, new NHL players don't seem as intent on trying to be physical sadly

Don't see Getzlaf as a ceiling. I think his ceiling is probably a guy like Jason Arnott, and that's still really freaking good.

Personally, I have doubts about his creativity with the puck, some of his reads two-way, his play in-tight and more importantly, his skating.

And as far as Dach comparisons go, I don't think there's much ground to them. Simply put, Dach as a prospect was plain better. He was much more physical, had better hands, a better hockey sense, and was more engaged on both ends of the ice.

Mess with Kirby Dach on the ice in his draft year and he'd set you straight right here and then, and you'd hate it. Geekie stands up for himself, sure, but he doesn't have the same fire, the same will.

I will admit that Geekie's acceleration and edgework are a bit better than Dach's was as a draft-eligible player. But top-speed is similarly below-average.

It's really a shame what injuries have done to Dach. He still looks promising even though he hasn't really come into his own yet, but when he came into the league that first year he was sometimes just so dominant out there that if you squinted just a little bit you could see a burgeoning premier power-center.

Anyways, Geekie is still a really good young player, just too flawed to be considered a blue-chipper. When it comes to the draft, 11-16 seems like a good range for him to be picked.

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

Yeaaaaah! Freedom convoy 2022!~

No but honestly, Well said <3

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Suspect he goes quite a bit higher in the draft than most are expecting.

I agree. Geekie is still a bit of a puzzle to me personally, but he has a lot of the attributes that GMs really value at the top of the draft. I think it's more likely that he goes top 5 than it is he slips out of the top 10 for example, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a team swing on him in the top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad