C Conor Geekie - Swift Current Broncos, WHL (2022, 11th, ARI; traded to TBL)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Someone is going to get a franchise center in the 5 to 15 range
I THINK Geekie goes top 5, but we’ll see. He’s 6’4”, a legit power forward, nice skill level, works hard, skating could use some work but it’s not bad. Definitely has 1C upside. Had quite a strong D-1 season in the dub. Just seems like a kid that a team is going to fail in love with.

Wright is the clear #1, and I like Lambert at 2. But 3-5 is tough to call. Geekie, Savoie and Miroshnichenko would be my bet, but there’s a tonne of other guys who could snag those spots - Nemec, Cooley, Chesley, McGroaty, Slafkovsky, etc. Gonna be a fun race to the finish this year!

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I THINK Geekie goes top 5, but we’ll see. He’s 6’4”, a legit power forward, nice skill level, works hard, skating could use some work but it’s not bad. Definitely has 1C upside. Had quite a strong D-1 season in the dub. Just seems like a kid that a team is going to fail in love with.

Wright is the clear #1, and I like Lambert at 2. But 3-5 is tough to call. Geekie, Savoie and Miroshnichenko would be my bet, but there’s a tonne of other guys who could snag those spots - Nemec, Cooley, Chesley, McGroaty, Slafkovsky, etc. Gonna be a fun race to the finish this year!

I don't think that Geekie will be a top 5 pick but you are right in the reasons a team might fall in love with him with his size/skill/position.

The ice are going to be very fun to watch this year.

Reactions: ponder

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Someone is going to get a franchise center in the 5 to 15 range

Got a bit of an Eric Staal vibe from him at the Ice training camp game today. He was pretty noticeable and uses his size and skating well to get around players and hold up and protect the puck! He also has a good shot, nice hands, and solid vision and playmaking to go a long with his size.

I don't see any issue with skating, he has good top speed and is pretty agile for his size.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Got a bit of an Eric Staal vibe from him at the Ice training camp game today. He was pretty noticeable and uses his size and skating well to get around players and hold up and protect the puck! He also has a good shot, nice hands, and solid vision and playmaking to go a long with his size.

I don't see any issue with skating, he has good top speed and is pretty agile for his size.
Obviously things are certain to change, but were you able to pick out anyone who seem to be a likely linemate this season?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Obviously things are certain to change, but were you able to pick out anyone who seem to be a likely linemate this season?

Hard to say as they just rotated the wingers and a bunch of them were fillers.

I think it also depends on if they plan to play Savoie on the wing or at center as I could see the two of them playing well on the same line.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not much talk here, weird.

Impressive first 2 preseason games.

3 goals, 5 points, 2.50 ppg, 14 sog, +3
8 pim, 14/25 at face-offs, 58%

Mostly because it's preseason is my guess but this guy has all the tools and size to be a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick IMO.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah good luck with that, Detroit will finish in the 6 to 8 range and take him. Some say he's the next Kirby Dach. Montreal's pick is probably in the #15 range doubt he falls that far.

Ya the kid is gonna sky rocket in all rankings as the season goes on. I wouldn't doubt if he cracks the top 5 by mid season rankings come out

I know everyone loves Savoie, but I think Geekie passes him in rankings eventually and is taken before him. My prediction!!

Reactions: Bubbles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ya the kid is gonna sky rocket in all rankings as the season goes on. I wouldn't doubt if he cracks the top 5 by mid season rankings come out

I know everyone loves Savoie, but I think Geekie passes him in rankings eventually and is taken before him. My prediction!!

I'm not so sure about that as people seem to be down on Savoie but he just ozzes talent but it should be a fun treat for fans to watch these 2 in Winnipeg.

Hopefully one of them doesn't turn into Drouin like the Halifax pair 10ish years ago it seems now.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is his skating? His brother wasn’t a great skater. Similar style player. The younger is the better prospect, but does he have the same skating concerns?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad