C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft) VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Who was better than Lemieux in his draft year? As I recall he was breaking Guy LaFleur records his draft eligible season and generally dominating.

Not his draft year, the year before; his 16 year old season. Crosby arguably had the best draft eligible junior career ever but that doesn't necessarily mean he was a better prospect than Mario.

Crosby was, and still remains, the best offensive prospect since Mario. He was on the the same tier as Wayne and Mario. I would say McDavid is closer to that tier than whatever tier you want to put Tavares on.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not his draft year, the year before; his 16 year old season. Crosby arguably had the best draft eligible junior career ever but that doesn't necessarily mean he was a better prospect than Mario.

Crosby was, and still remains, the best offensive prospect since Mario. He was on the the same tier as Wayne and Mario. I would say McDavid is closer to that tier than whatever tier you want to put Tavares on.

Who was better the year before?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Lemieux also had less points than Claude Verret (total of 7 NHL points), though Lemieux had a higher PPG and more goals.

Lemieux didn't win rookie of the year and didn't separate himself from the pack in the CHL scoring race at 16. At 17, he blew everyone out of the water. But Crosby was the best at 16 AND 17. It's never been done before.

If you adjust the scoring to 70 games and 6 GPG their draft eligible years come to

Lemieux: 70 GP 80 G 89 A 169 P
Crosby: 70 GP 70 G 108 A 178 P
McDavid: 70 GP 57 G 98 A 155 P
Tavares: 70 GP 64 G 51 A 115 P
Lindros: 70 GP 58 G 64 A 123 P

Funny how that works out. Lemieux also was 10 months older during the season and benefited from skipping out on the world juniors. That means he got a month of playing against teams that had all their best players gone.

If you compare their draft-1 years,

Lemieux: 70 GP 49 G 59 A 108 P
Crosby: 70 GP 57 G 86 A 143 P
Gretzky: 70 GP 51 G 82 A 133 P
McDavid: 70 GP 30 G 76 A 106 P
Tavares: 70 GP 42 G 82 A 124 P

The GPG in Lemieux's draft year was 10.02! Crosby's was high by modern NHL standards, but it was only at 6.38. That means the average goal in Lemieux's draft year was only worth 64% of the goals in Crosby's draft year.

Lemieux ended up becoming a far better NHL player, but at the junior level Crosby dominated at a higher level.

Edit: Thought I'd add McDavid in for good measure. I'm a little iffy about the GPG. I don't know if the GF column on the OHL website includes SO wins, but I'm 90% it does. There were 60 shootouts in the OHL this year. I've taken those 60 goals out of the GF total.

Edit 2: Added Gretzky's draft-1, McDavid's draft-1, Lindros draft, and Tavares draft+draft-1

Last edited:

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
Lemieux also had less points than Claude Verret (total of 7 NHL points), though Lemieux had a higher PPG and more goals.

Lemieux didn't win rookie of the year and didn't separate himself from the pack in the CHL scoring race at 16. At 17, he blew everyone out of the water. But Crosby was the best at 16 AND 17. It's never been done before.

If you adjust the scoring to 70 games and 6 GPG their draft eligible years come to

Funny how that works out. Lemieux also was 10 months older during the season and benefited from skipping out on the world juniors. That means he got a month of playing against teams that had all their best players gone.

The GPG in Lemieux's draft year was 10.02! Crosby's was high by modern NHL standards, but it was only at 6.38. That means the average goal in Lemieux's draft year was only worth 64% of the goals in Crosby's draft year.

Lemieux ended up becoming a far better NHL player, but at the junior level Crosby dominated at a higher level.

Solid Post:handclap:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Edit: Thought I'd add McDavid in for good measure. I'm a little iffy about the GPG. I don't know if the GF column on the OHL website includes SO wins, but I'm 90% it does. There were 60 shootouts in the OHL this year. I've taken those 60 goals out of the GF total.

Edit 2: Added Gretzky's draft-1, McDavid's draft-1, and Tavares draft+draft-1

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of a flat gpg adjustment. I wonder what the percentage difference Between Lemieux and his contemporaries was compared to crosby and his.

ItWas41

Mar 10, 2015
Toronto
Lol, when the Leafs win the lottery tonight :sarcasm:, McDavid's value is going to go down so much. People will be saying Eichel over McDavid again. :laugh:

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Fair to say today will be the most nerve racking day in McDavid's life? Couldn't imagine.

For us fans, it's a life changing event in the sense that it could completely change the future of our franchises.

For McDavid, it's a life changing event in the sense that those lucky bounces can determine his entire future (team, residence, success, future wife, friends, etc).

If anyone else here finds the multiverse theory interesting, 7:30 PM today will be a portal into 14 different universes for McDavid ;)

Shwaguy*

In fact, HFBoards should probably establish a new forum devoted to just that. It will be unbearable.

DAE HATE LEAF FANS???!?!?!? THEY'RE THE WORST AMIRITE THEY OVERRATE EVERYONE THEY THINK PHANEUF IS MORE THAN A BOTTOM PAIRING DMAn, THEY THINK KESSEL IS WORTH A TOP 20 PICK LOL ALL LEAF FANS ARE SO STUPID

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
For us fans, it's a life changing event in the sense that it could completely change the future of our franchises.

For McDavid, it's a life changing event in the sense that those lucky bounces can determine his entire future (team, residence, success, future wife, friends, etc).

If anyone else here finds the multiverse theory interesting, 7:30 PM today will be a portal into 14 different universes for McDavid ;)

730 est or? what time MT?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

Lindros: 70 GP 58 G 64 A 123 P

Edit 2: Added Gretzky's draft-1, McDavid's draft-1, Lindros draft, and Tavares draft+draft-1

Awesome post. Could you post the website you got these stats from? I want to do some digging on players and leagues from certain years.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Awesome post. Could you post the website you got these stats from? I want to do some digging on players and leagues from certain years.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Stat/LeagueGoals.aspx?League=9

It has incomplete data. For the years it doesn't have I just made an excel spreadsheet. The wikipedia pages have the GF each team got per year. Add it up, divide by total games played, and you got GPG.

To calculate total games played its GP per team * total number of team * 0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad