C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I can live with

Hall-Draisaitl-McDavid
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
Yakupov-Lander-Purcell

for a portion of the season. I think Draisaitl is that good. But I really don't think McDavid should be on the wing for any considerable amount of time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I could see McDavid playing center but Hall taking a lot of the faceoffs. I remember Colorado doing that a lot with MacKinnon I believe. We'll get a better idea about how McDavid can win draws in camp though. He's got some strength. He might be good at it right out of the gate.

But no, it would not be insane to even start McDavid on the wing. It has happened to guys like Stamkos and Crosby even. It doesn't have to be for a long period of time, and it would only be for the benefit of the player. If McDavid solidifies himself at center during pre season, against NHL competition, then I'm sure he'll start there. There are a lot of extra responsibilities at center compared to the wing, and as far as I'm concerned those who say he MUST start at center are part of that wave of hockey fans who are putting too much pressure on him because you are assuming he is so special that even at 18 he will be close to his full potential. There's a chance he'll need some sheltering, and that's okay.

But we'll see in pre-season of course.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
McDavid is already 1C top 10 talent, conservatively, if not the best. He has an amazing cast of talent around him just about to step into their peak years and is already better than his entire team of first overall picks who are further along in their developments. Edmonton is easily now my 2nd fav team in the league and am dreaming of leafs oilers cup finals.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think there is any chance McDavid doesn't play C. Drai is far far far more likely to play wing. If he plays top 6(unlikely) it will probably be

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Lander - Purcell

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I don't think there is any chance McDavid doesn't play C. Drai is far far far more likely to play wing. If he plays top 6(unlikely) it will probably be

Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Lander - Purcell

McLellan likes pairs, and it might be interesting to see a left-wing lock:

Hall-McDavid
Draisaitl-Lander
Pouliot-Hopkins

During the game, you could see:
Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-McDavid-Purcell

2/3rds of the same players, but very different looks, and very different to defend.

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
McLellan likes pairs, and it might be interesting to see a left-wing lock:

Hall-McDavid
Draisaitl-Lander
Hopkins-Eberle

During the game, you could see:
Hall-McDavid-?
Hall-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-McDavid-Purcell

2/3rds of the same players, but very different looks, and very different to defend.

Fixed

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I personally think we should switch Hall back to C, convert Nuge and McDavid to LW, Draisaitl to RW, and Eberle to C(someone will need to teach him faceoffs).

McDavid-Hall-Draisaitl
RNH-Eberle-Yakupov

My sarcasm detector must be broken. They tried Hall at C and it was horrible. Ebs to C... lol

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - McDavid - Hall
Yakupov - Lander - Purcell

That's probably how I'd that up. Let MAP provide net front presence for 97, insulate Draisaitl with a strong pair. Give Yak and Purcell a chance together.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Draisaitl - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - McDavid - Hall
Yakupov - Lander - Purcell

That's probably how I'd that up. Let MAP provide net front presence for 97, insulate Draisaitl with a strong pair. Give Yak and Purcell a chance together.

Draisaitl's going to be paired with Lander according to McLellan, but these combos may be how the middle/end of the season may look IMO.

Also I assume you meant Benoit Pouliot since Marc-Andre is loooooonnnng gone.

Aceonfire*

Lines from today:

Hall-McDavid-Purcell
Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Considering Purcell is such an average player, it's amazing that he always finds his way on to talented scoring lines.

His best year was with Stamkos.

I think it'll change part way through the year, Purcell is way too slow for that line.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Considering Purcell is such an average player, it's amazing that he always finds his way on to talented scoring lines.

His best year was with Stamkos.

I think it'll change part way through the year, Purcell is way too slow for that line.

Purcell has the ability to play with skilled players, and I think he'll be pegged as the "responsible one" for this line.

A writer was tweeting that McDavid had to slow down to wait for Hall on plays so the much slower Purcell's speed will be a sticking point for sure but that's really only on the rush.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Purcell has the ability to play with skilled players, and I think he'll be pegged as the "responsible one" for this line.

A writer was tweeting that McDavid had to slow down to wait for Hall on plays so the much slower Purcell's speed will be a sticking point for sure but that's really only on the rush.

Slowing down to wait for Taylor Hall???

Wow.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I'd rather the slowest be Yak instead of Purcell so he's right in the shooting lane.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Draisaitl's going to be paired with Lander according to McLellan, but these combos may be how the middle/end of the season may look IMO.

Also I assume you meant Benoit Pouliot since Marc-Andre is loooooonnnng gone.

Haha yea . . . it was late and its hard for the my mind to correct for the fact that the 2003 1st round pick Pouliot who was drafted and played for the Oilers is not the 2005 1st round pick Pouliot who now plays for the Oilers.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Hall - McDavid - Yakupov would be awesome to see

I have been saying this all along.

Mc David is going to develop and excell regardless. Hall has already been a PPG player in the league.

Nail Yakupov will reap the benefit of these linemates. He has fallen behind in his development curve and this should do him wonders.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I thought Lander was the LW today?

Lander and Draisaitl were rotating at center. McLellan said they both with take draws and whoever the first is back will be responsible as the center in the D zone. It was the same in San Jose if I recall as Pavelski, Thornton, Marleau, Couture and Wingels all played center on a regular basis in the top 9.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Looked very nervous but got more comfortable. Best sign was good play away from puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad