C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
After watching the golden bears game i have to agree. draisatle is able to get the puck to macd in the right spots at the right time, while the rest of the rookies were having a hard time getting the puck to him. I might get roasted for this but macd might be better on the wing with leon at c, we can all agree that macd does his best work rushing up the wing.

I have advocated for this as well. Moving McDavid to wing IF LD turns into a legit #1c guy wouldnt hurt. But I think both guys are extremely smart and could play a hybrid center/wing combo, because mcdavid is elite a dishing the puck while in the middle of the ice too

Thats not for another 2 years tho

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have advocated for this as well. Moving McDavid to wing IF LD turns into a legit #1c guy wouldnt hurt. But I think both guys are extremely smart and could play a hybrid center/wing combo, because mcdavid is elite a dishing the puck while in the middle of the ice too

Thats not for another 2 years tho

You mean for the rookie season or forever?

McDavid should easily be one of the best C's in the league before his ELC ends. IMO, his talents would be wasted on wing.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I personally think we should switch Hall back to C, convert Nuge and McDavid to LW, Draisaitl to RW, and Eberle to C(someone will need to teach him faceoffs).

McDavid-Hall-Draisaitl
RNH-Eberle-Yakupov

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You mean for the rookie season or forever?

McDavid should easily be one of the best C's in the league before his ELC ends. IMO, his talents would be wasted on wing.

Not really. I think when people say center is so much more valuable than winger its false. In the O-zone they basically play the same position, its only in the d-zone that matters (centers play downlow)

In fact, playign winger in D-zone allows Mcdavid to play higher in the zone (not bound down low) and avoid the ability of team to shadow him. This allows for quick breaks again and again. This is what he did in Eerie

LD is very well suited for center in the D-zone. Hes smart positionally, can win board battles, and a sublime passer. hed be great at finding mcdavid for breakouts

Again, this assumes LD emerges as a good-great #1c. If not, than mcdavid stays center

heres a cool clip of a McDavid play in the game. Pretty insane hand eye coordiantion at full speed

That kinda shows what Im thinking would be a huge benefit if he had winger responsiblity in the D-zone. Hes playing higher in the zone so once the D or center get good possession he can take off and be behind the D for breakaways or 1 on 1s

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
No offense to anyone, but McDavid on the wing is a silly idea. He's a C and his talents are best used there. If Drai is best at C as well then go with 3 great Cs until they can't fit them under the cap.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No offense to anyone, but McDavid on the wing is a silly idea. He's a C and his talents are best used there. If Drai is best at C as well then go with 3 great Cs until they can't fit them under the cap.

IMO he can play winger in D zone and then switch to center in O zone, allows him to use his best abilities at all times

Im no coach though. I would just hate to see him hemmed down in d-zone like RNH is typically.

Whatever works best for the team

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If the Oilers move him to wing than it would just prove they have no idea what they are doing. Terrible idea.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
If the Oilers move him to wing than it would just prove they have no idea what they are doing. Terrible idea.

Says who and how is it a bad idea. McDavid's style is more common amongst wingers than it is centers so you could say he'd translate better to wing compared to Drai, so it would make sense that McDavid is the one who'd go to wing if the need should ever arise.

I find it amusing that people think it's blasphemy to even consider McJesus in a different position. You do what's best for the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

It was done in Eerie and allowed Mcdavid to put up a ton of points on the rush. Playing down low in the D-zone doesnt require generational talent. What it does allow is for another team to put a shadow on a center (which is done to a large degree) in order to smother that center.

People have a hard on for keeping centers center as if its this mythical position. But in reality hockey is fluid and dynamic and positions get muddied all the time. Playing high in the D-zone doesnt allow opposing teams to put a shadow on you and it allows mcdavid to be free for rushes, not digging pucks out behind the goal line. In comparison, what if LD develops into a Kopitar type player whos a beast down low and is elite along the boards. Is it smart to put that type of player as a winger? His skill set is so much better utilized winning the battles in the corner down low

The Oilers have a wealth of forwards of all different types of styles, sizes and speed. McDavid is coming into a cushy spot and has a coach who knows what hes doing. If its best for the team you can bet hell do it

If the combo of LD and McDavid doing that results in 10 more goals for and 5 less goals against than McDavid playing traditional center, why not try it

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
It was done in Eerie and allowed Mcdavid to put up a ton of points on the rush. Playing down low in the D-zone doesnt require generational talent. What it does allow is for another team to put a shadow on a center (which is done to a large degree) in order to smother that center.

People have a hard on for keeping centers center as if its this mythical position. But in reality hockey is fluid and dynamic and positions get muddied all the time. Playing high in the D-zone doesnt allow opposing teams to put a shadow on you and it allows mcdavid to be free for rushes, not digging pucks out behind the goal line. In comparison, what if LD develops into a Kopitar type player whos a beast down low and is elite along the boards. Is it smart to put that type of player as a winger? His skill set is so much better utilized winning the battles in the corner down low

The Oilers have a wealth of forwards of all different types of styles, sizes and speed. McDavid is coming into a cushy spot and has a coach who knows what hes doing. If its best for the team you can bet hell do it

If the combo of LD and McDavid doing that results in 10 more goals for and 5 less goals against than McDavid playing traditional center, why not try it

If McDavid wants to play center (which he has said) McDavid plays center.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Not really. I think when people say center is so much more valuable than winger its false. In the O-zone they basically play the same position, its only in the d-zone that matters (centers play downlow)

In fact, playign winger in D-zone allows Mcdavid to play higher in the zone (not bound down low) and avoid the ability of team to shadow him. This allows for quick breaks again and again. This is what he did in Eerie

LD is very well suited for center in the D-zone. Hes smart positionally, can win board battles, and a sublime passer. hed be great at finding mcdavid for breakouts

Again, this assumes LD emerges as a good-great #1c. If not, than mcdavid stays center

heres a cool clip of a McDavid play in the game. Pretty insane hand eye coordiantion at full speed

That kinda shows what Im thinking would be a huge benefit if he had winger responsiblity in the D-zone. Hes playing higher in the zone so once the D or center get good possession he can take off and be behind the D for breakaways or 1 on 1s

i don't mean to single you out but your post reeks of someone who's never played high level hockey as a forward.

The edge work and first step speed is the most important thing in being a defensive center. Next is anticipating the play.

Go watch some highlights of the blackhawks breakout, they have the best in the league. They also, always breakout to the right side and then get it to their center/lw in speed transition who get the puck in to the O-zone.

The Oilers have never been good at getting the puck to their center or lw in good speed transition.

With McD's edges, vision, and first step there is pretty much no one in the league you want want playing center over him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
i don't mean to single you out but your post reeks of someone who's never played high level hockey as a forward.

The edge work and first step speed is the most important thing in being a defensive center. Next is anticipating the play.

Go watch some highlights of the blackhawks breakout, they have the best in the league. They also, always breakout to the right side and then get it to their center/lw in speed transition who get the puck in to the O-zone.

The Oilers have never been good at getting the puck to their center or lw in good speed transition.

With McD's edges, vision, and first step there is pretty much no one in the league you want want playing center over him.

Ive actually played midget AAA and high level of junior. While your sentiments are correct. Ive seen time and time again RNH be trapped down low (to a degree). That is what I want to avoid. That could be bad coaching and TM will fix that, but for right now I want to avoid McDavid being used like that. He excelled at it in Eerie with Strome doing it, might work in NHL

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I personally think we should switch Hall back to C, convert Nuge and McDavid to LW, Draisaitl to RW, and Eberle to C(someone will need to teach him faceoffs).

McDavid-Hall-Draisaitl
RNH-Eberle-Yakupov

God I hope this isn't serious.

Getzlafoutloud

Sep 15, 2015
it could be a situation like Benn/Seguin have in dallas, you could manage mcd's matchups depending on the type of centre on the ice against him. regardless of who's in the middle, playing drais with hall and mcd might force him to skate because he has the speed but seems like a bit of a lazy skater at times.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I just don't see them moving McDavid to wing. You don't move generational talents to another position. This is just fans over thinking things. That's like thinking about moving Crosby to wing back in the day.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

McDavid-Hall-Draisaitl
RNH-Eberle-Yakupov

You can't be serious. Moving Hall and RNH out of their natural positions will do more harm than good. Why the hell would you want Eberle as a C? Hope you're messing around, because that top 6 line formation is just awful.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

McDavid-Hall-Draisaitl
RNH-Eberle-Yakupov

I prefer

McDavid - Yakupov - Draisiatl
Eberle - Hall - RNH

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I think RNH and Eberle have chemistry so I dont touch that.

Try Hall McDavid and Yakupov or swap Yak out for Draisaitl.

I think sooner or later Mc Clellan is going to see Draisaitl and Mc David see the ice in a way others cant -RNH included- and putting them together will create scoring chances almost every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad