C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

Yes, we get it, Oshawa fan, McDavid has nothing on Cassels, Cassels is clearly superior. It has nothing to do with the fact that overall the Generals are 10 times the team that Erie is. I thought McDavid still had a fantastic game considering how badly Oshawa was dominating Erie.

1. It was a close game before being broken open in the 3rd, like tonight.

2. I said he was better that game (And also game 2 now), does not mean he is the superior player.

3. Everyone was saying SSM was better than Oshawa these playoffs yet Erie managed fine against them (Although I do believe Oshawa as a team is the best in the CHL).

I was there live tonight. It was actually a fantastic game. Don't let the score deceive you. Tied 1-1 most of the until halfway through the third. McDavid didn't have a good night but he was still the best player on Erie, forced a couple nice turnovers and created a good scoring chance. Cassels and Josh Brown did a great job against him tonight though.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
McDavid 0 points and -2 this game, is this the first time he's been held off the scoreboard in the playoffs?

But yeah Erie has absolutely no depth, as long as the Gens shutdown McDavid it's an easy win.

Shwaguy*

I'm obviously a homer but I've said all along, Gens are too big too fast and too strong, too deep. Too good defensively. They didn't have as many big names as SSM or Erie outside of MDC, McCarron, and Cassels, but they are honestly the best Generals team I've ever seen.

Erie 0/6 on the powerplay tonight, a powerplay that's made up of McDavid, Strome, DeBrincat, Elie, and McDermott.

Another thing I noticed. McDavid really doesn't play centre that often for Erie. He's usually playing the Wing. Chalk it up to centre depth. I think I counted like 1, 2 defensive zone starts at MOST as well.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Interesting. I checked Oshawa's regular season stats - zero 100 pt scorers, but they only gave up 2.3 goals per game (157 in 68 games) which led the league by a wide margin. It seems the Oshawa approach to a solid defensive game (based on your post and the numbers) is different than majority of OHL teams and more indicative of what awaits McDavid at the next level.

I don't think it can be overstated that team defense at the next level is a whole different animal in terms of less available time and space and McDavid will undoubtedly figure it out, but one could argue Eichel will enter the NHL with having seen more "Oshawa-like" defenses. I think Gaudreau playing in the NCAA versus the CHL played a large part in his successful NHL transition as he was forced to make uber quick decisions to be effective due to the defensive commitment of NCAA hockey teams.

It will be interesting to see if Connor Garland who lit up the Q this year can be effective at the AHL or NHL level as he appears to be the same size but played against "looser" defenses and has had more time and space in the Q than he will see at the next level.

Shwaguy*

Oshawa is still a great offensive team. They have star power in MDC. And insane depth. They can score. But they are definitely an elite defensive team.

Does anyone know why Appleby gets zero hype as a goalie prospect for this draft?

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Interesting. I checked Oshawa's regular season stats - zero 100 pt scorers, but they only gave up 2.3 goals per game (157 in 68 games) which led the league by a wide margin. It seems the Oshawa approach to a solid defensive game (based on your post and the numbers) is different than majority of OHL teams and more indicative of what awaits McDavid at the next level.

I don't think it can be overstated that team defense at the next level is a whole different animal in terms of less available time and space and McDavid will undoubtedly figure it out, but one could argue Eichel will enter the NHL with having seen more "Oshawa-like" defenses. I think Gaudreau playing in the NCAA versus the CHL played a large part in his successful NHL transition as he was forced to make uber quick decisions to be effective due to the defensive commitment of NCAA hockey teams.

It will be interesting to see if Connor Garland who lit up the Q this year can be effective at the AHL or NHL level as he appears to be the same size but played against "looser" defenses and has had more time and space in the Q than he will see at the next level.

Yes this is what I wrote yesterday in the other thread. Oshawa is just in a class of its own.

Nicko999 said:
I am one of the biggest McDavid fan out there but people need to understand those 3 PPG are now history. Oshawa has by far the best defense this season in the OHL so it is the closest thing to a pro level defense in junior. McDavid will still get points because he is that good but it will be closer to 2PPG than 3. This series will give him a preview of what to expect in the NHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is a prime example of how 1 player does not make a team. Erie's supporting cast needs to get it going, Strome really needs to dig deep injured or not to get something going. Oshawa is doing its best to limit McDavid getting the puck with speed through the neutral zone, they pretty much know from watching the SSM series that if they can limit McDavid that the game is there for the taking.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Its my belief that Mc David is better than Crosby was at 18. I think Edmonton challenges for a playoff spot next year and if Babcock is the coach they make it.

I dont mean to be negative but Strome is over rated. I dont pick him until late in the top 10 or even slightly after.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
I agree Niicko999. One key thing McDavid has going for him is he plays with "pace" whereas many elite CHLers play 2 minute shifts at lower intensity. Ryan Ellis and Anthony Mantha were two notable CHLers who had to learn to play with pace at the next level - and Mantha still figuring this out. I recall Babcock saying in pre-season that playing with pace was going to be the challenge for Mantha this year and based on post-season comments this is still an issue.

The "less time and space" at the next level is a combo of "increased pace" and better "team commitment to defense". Jonathan Drouin is another guy experiencing this first hand. I know Gaudreau is something like 18-20 months older than Drouin but many on these boards scoffed at the beginning of the season that Gaudreau could approach Drouin's point totals it his year. I know Drouin has been in a bottom 6 role (and healthy scratch at times), but my point is Gaudreau had arguably an easier transition to the NHL strictly from experiencing better team defense/increased pace at NCAA level versus CHL. I think this is more of an issue for players who are the "primary puck handlers" on their lines compared to the line mates who feed off the playmaker (e.g. Drouin versus Mackinnon), especially if the playmaker is not a towering presence like Getzlaf who can shield off players with sheer strength and body position.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I dont mean to be negative but Strome is over rated. I dont pick him until late in the top 10 or even slightly after.

Is Strome supposed to be better or worse then his brother at the same stage of their career? As an Islanders fan I might be biased but if he is better I don't think twice taking the other one top 5. Seems like I heard alot of the same complaints about Ryan when he was drafted how his skating wasn't the greatest and it would hold him back.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Its my belief that Mc David is better than Crosby was at 18. I think Edmonton challenges for a playoff spot next year and if Babcock is the coach they make it.

Until we improve out defense it doesn't matter who we add up front. Also Babcock won't be the coach of my Oilers unfortunately.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Is Strome supposed to be better or worse then his brother at the same stage of their career? As an Islanders fan I might be biased but if he is better I don't think twice taking the other one top 5. Seems like I heard alot of the same complaints about Ryan when he was drafted how his skating wasn't the greatest and it would hold him back.

I've always thought Ryan was more talented and a better offensive player, if only he had his brother's size, defensive ability and faceoff ability.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
You know, I kinda feel bad for McDavid since his team has been so poorly outclassed by Oshawa.

It's a shame that once they shut down the big gun, that there's minimal star power that they have to deal with after him. Strome (for example) imo is rather overrated and he's done little to help Erie's cause this series and last series for that matter. Not blaming him by any means but injury or not, the guy needs to figure himself out.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

I'm curious what his game will look like at the next level. And I don't say that meaning to imply that he'll struggle or won't live up to the hype. He's too talented to not succeed, but so many of his goals seem to come off the rush, whether it's walking through a defender 1v1, an odd man rush, or an outright breakaway.

If there is an adjustment period, I wouldn't be too worried. Rookie seasons like Crosby and Ovechkin just don't happen anymore.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
This series has exposed how bad the Otters actually are. They rely on Connor carrying them, and when the opposing team shuts him down they cant do anything. Oshawa will win this easy.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
I think Gaudreau playing in the NCAA versus the CHL played a large part in his successful NHL transition as he was forced to make uber quick decisions to be effective due to the defensive commitment of NCAA hockey teams.
I rather think being 21 y.o. at the start of a season and playing in above-average team played a large in his succesful NHL transtion. MacKinnon's example perfectly shows up how level of your team may affect contribution by very young single player.

And yes, Eichel definitely has more experience in competing with that level of defense, but still - in long perspective not being more NHL ready as a rookie, but being more talented and adopting to the league is decisive in being better player. Right now it seems that Eichel may have better start in a league and McDavid will be better player. But I'd not forget that McDavid is going to play in extremely talented offensively team - and look on MacKinnon's eaxmple - if you have McDavid's level of talent, and Hall, Yakupov or Eberle as a teammates, you have everything in making fast start in a league.

About first two matches with Oshawa. There's no coincidence that even with Connor McDavid in their team, players like Baptiste or Strome don't exceed margin of 20 pts in this playoffs (with teammate having 43!) - I was startled about projecting McDavid some playoffs records and another domination, after matches with Sarnia, where Elie and Baptiste played poorly. In modern hockey, it's hard to bother McDavid for not keeping his production in that conditions, when in NHL playoffs even that talented players offensively like Ovechkin are unable to be dominant. Still, he's the best player on his team and making some awesome plays. Lucky to him, since first day in NHL he's going to play with this Oilers' cast with Hall etc. That's all. Statistically, he's still better than Lindros even without era-adjusted numbers. :)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man strome has to do someyhing, anything really. The entire team is keying on mcdavid knowing he carries the team. Strobe is being gifted extremely easy comp and is a ghost

Aceonfire*

Man strome has to do someyhing, anything really. The entire team is keying on mcdavid knowing he carries the team. Strobe is being gifted extremely easy comp and is a ghost

Strome is hurting his draft stock imo. Unless he is playing through an injury, he has been invisible.

I can see him becoming the Benoit Pouliot of this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad