C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Strome is hurting his draft stock imo. Unless he is playing through an injury, he has been invisible.

I can see him becoming the Benoit Pouliot of this draft.

The injury better be seriously impacting him. Because he looks horribad. I know scouts judge from the whole season, but his low level of play against extremely easy comp is very alarming. I said during the SOO series I could see him dropping to 6 or 7 if things go very bad for him

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
What's the odds for McDavid to break the OHL playoff scoring record?

I'd say not good since he has got 1 point in the two finals. I thought he should have had around 2 per game or something to break the record if I'm not mistaken..

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd say not good since he has got 1 point in the two finals. I thought he should have had around 2 per game or something to break the record if I'm not mistaken..

Yeah. Oshawa has had the right approach. Poor kid has been triple teamed for the last 120 minutes.

I wonder if he can get free a little when the otters have home ice advantage. SSM shut him down first few game at home at 5v5 as well.

Strome needs to step it up as well.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Salty salty Edmonton.

I think you should re-read the article. He's praising them for their impressive team play and their ability to completely shut down Erie's offense. There was absolutely no bitterness in that article. While the "no-name" comment might be uncalled for it is partially true in the sense that they're not a team topped with star power like Soo was.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
This series has exposed how bad the Otters actually are. They rely on Connor carrying them, and when the opposing team shuts him down they cant do anything. Oshawa will win this easy.

So you don't think McDavid will find a way?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Geeze its weird reading threads and articles how Cassels and the rest of the Generals have been shutting down McDavid. So he is infact human then??!!

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
So you don't think McDavid will find a way?

I've watched both games and Oshawa is putting at least 2 people on him all game. Even on the powerplay their main focus is not letting him get the puck as much, which is working. Once the Otters show up and take the pressure off Connor they could easily win this series.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
McDavid is the only player needing to be shut down. The rest of the Otters are invisible.

Ya that's what ive been reading and hearing. Sounds like the team is confused what to do when McDavid isn't getting all the points. How has Strome been? Ive read that he seems lost when McDavid isn't setting him up

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Ya that's what ive been reading and hearing. Sounds like the team is confused what to do when McDavid isn't getting all the points. How has Strome been? Ive read that he seems lost when McDavid isn't setting him up

Strome has been a massive disapointment. As someone who was the leading Ohl scorer, he surely has not lived up to expectation.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Strome has been a massive disapointment. As someone who was the leading Ohl scorer, he surely has not lived up to expectation.

Why is that? is it mostly due to McDavid being quiet the past couple games, there for it shows Strome needs Mcdavid? Or has he been horrible all playoffs? Does it worry fans of Erie now that when McDavid is gone next year that Strome wont have near the season he had this year?

I am honeslty wondering. Not trying to be an a*# or anything.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Why is that? is it mostly due to McDavid being quiet the past couple games, there for it shows Strome needs Mcdavid? Or has he been horrible all playoffs? Does it worry fans of Erie now that when McDavid is gone next year that Strome wont have near the season he had this year?

Well I only watched the SSM series and this series so far, and Strome has looked atrocious. One of their most invisible players for sure. I don't think it has anything to do with McDavid being quiet, because he hasn't been. He's been setting up his team with good opportunities because Oshawa is keeping 2 or 3 guys on him every time he steps on the ice (see his assist in game 1 as one of many examples).

By this logic, Strome should have free roam to be creating chances since he is going up against the easier competition while McDavid is linematched against their best defensive players. Strome is injured, but even if the games I watched during the regular season, it was hard to notice him. He was able to put up a ton of points though.

Strome has always been a slower player, and I don't think he is able to step his game up during the playoffs because I don't think he was injured vs Sarnia, and the injury came about sometime against London.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

I don't think Strome ever plays with McDavid except on the power play. Also keep in mind McDavid missed 21 regular season games due to injury so it's not like Strome solely fed off McDavid to win the scoring title.

Apparently Strome is playing injured, so I'm sure that plays a part in his lacklustre performance of late (not that it should absolve him of all criticism).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well I only watched the SSM series and this series so far, and Strome has looked atrocious. One of their most invisible players for sure. I don't think it has anything to do with McDavid being quiet, because he hasn't been. He's been setting up his team with good opportunities because Oshawa is keeping 2 or 3 guys on him every time he steps on the ice (see his assist in game 1 as one of many examples).

By this logic, Strome should have free roam to be creating chances since he is going up against the easier competition while McDavid is linematched against their best defensive players. Strome is injured, but even if the games I watched during the regular season, it was hard to notice him. He was able to put up a ton of points though.

Strome has always been a slower player, and I don't think he is able to step his game up during the playoffs because I don't think he was injured vs Sarnia, and the injury came about sometime against London.

Thanks for that.

do you think Strome's stock is dropping at all due to him not showing up for the higher tempo and more intense playoffs? I know NHL scouts are getting in all these last games before their meetings and everything before the draft and I hate to see players crapping the bed in the final viewings of NHL scouts.

Ahhh either way he will definitely be a top 5 pick if he keeps playing bad or not, so its not a huge deal im sure haha

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for that.

do you think Strome's stock is dropping at all due to him not showing up for the higher tempo and more intense playoffs? I know NHL scouts are getting in all these last games before their meetings and everything before the draft and I hate to see players crapping the bed in the final viewings of NHL scouts.

Ahhh either way he will definitely be a top 5 pick if he keeps playing bad or not, so its not a huge deal im sure haha

His stock surely has dropped, however not enough to be picked later than #6 in my opinion. The gap between the top 2, then top 4, then the rest is pretty big.

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Crouse/Strome
Provorov/Werenski/Zacha

That's how I am seeing it. I think Marner will be picked before Strome almost certainly. After that, I personally would pick Crouse and Provorov, maybe even Werenski before Strome.

Watching him play really bothers me. He's just too slow and could become useless at the NHL level. Or he could become a Thornton type player.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Whatever helps you sleep at night there bud

Dude...no-one has ever led the NHL in scoring as a rookie. So, it's safe to think McDavid won't either.

But it would be so awesome if he did. I am rooting for it. It just seems like a far fetched idea.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Dude...no-one has ever led the NHL in scoring as a rookie. So, it's safe to think McDavid won't either.

But it would be so awesome if he did. I am rooting for it. It just seems like a far fetched idea.

hahah you have to remember you arent allowed to say anything other than he will win every award imaginable next season.. Cmon, you know the rules haha

Macman

May 15, 2004

Yes and no. Gretzky and Marcel Dionne finished tied for the scoring title with 137 points apiece during Gretzky's rookie year but Dionne was given the Art Ross because he had two more goals.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yes and no. Gretzky and Marcel Dionne finished tied for the scoring title with 137 points apiece during Gretzky's rookie year but Dionne was given the Art Ross because he had two more goals.
whoo never knew that, thats pretty insane, I swear i thought that selene had the most points as a rookie with 132, or did gretz season not make him a rookie due to playing a year in the wha

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
whoo never knew that, thats pretty insane, I swear i thought that selene had the most points as a rookie with 132, or did gretz season not make him a rookie due to playing a year in the wha

That would be correct. Gretzky wasn't considered a rookie because of his year in the WHA even though it was his rookie NHL season. Pretty stupid decision by the NHL...but that's the NHL norm. stupid decisions everywhere you turn. But let's award a 31 year old Sergei Makarov the ROY in 89-90. laughable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad