C Connor McDavid (2015, 1st, EDM) VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I guess now that he will be an Oiler he is just another schmuck and we should all talk about more interesting prospects.

Really?

Summer is in full swing and there's nothing more to discuss until the draft.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Kübler-Ross model

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

:sarcasm:

even when the oilers draft him some fans wont be willing to accept he is an oilers and I am wiling to bet we will get atleast one thread where we have someone posts "Heard it from a good friend who knows McDavid--he tells me McDavid wont report to the oilers"--we have not had that thread for awhile

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
So Tavares was as hyped as Crosby and Lindros?

Tavares burst onto the OHL scene but by the time of his draft year he didn't have near the Lindros/Crosby hype. He wasn't seen as a potential generational player, 'just' a potential superstar.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
1A. Lindros
1B. Crosby
3. McDavid

4. Tavares

In terms of prospects this is how I see it. Lindros/Crosby are basically a dead heat and it would be an extremely tough call. McDavid easily slides into 3rd but its really close and he could still end up the best out of all of them.

Tavares, while still a rare and incredible prospect, is closer to "just" another first overall than he is to the other 3. The fact that he wasn't seen as able to step right in and dominate (which he didn't do so the scouts were right) is something that Crosby and Lindros were able to do as teenagers.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
scored 72 in his 16YO season. He was seriously hyped, and for good reason. Invented exceptional status rule for him

Like a few others have said though, the hype reached its peak when he as 16. By the time the draft had come along he was seen as a future superstar rather than a generational talent. Mainly due to his skating as he was seen as a generational finisher from the time he was 13.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Globe and Mail story on McDavid

It was the summer of 2011 when Jeff Jackson heard about the next great prospect in hockey.

The former assistant general manager of the Maple Leafs had only recently launched a career as an agent. One of his clients, Sam Gagner, was training at a rink in Oakville, Ont. Then a centre with the Edmonton Oilers, Gagner was approached by a skinny 14-year-old who asked if he could join him on the ice.

The Prospect
A year-long project about Canadian hockey sensation Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers, the team expected to pick him first overall in the NHL draft.

The Globe and Mail’s Marty Klinkenberg will tell the story of the teenager as he breaks in with one of the league’s most storied and struggling clubs.

“Afterward, Sam called me,” Jackson says. “He said, ‘You have to find this kid. I have been in the NHL five years, and he can do things I can’t do. His name is David O’Connor.’”

Gagner remembered the bantam-aged youngster had told him he was about to begin playing for the Midget-AAA Marlies of the Greater Toronto Hockey League. So Jackson made an inquiry with the club.

“I asked about the O’Connor kid, and they chuckled,” Jackson says. “They said, ‘Oh, you must mean Connor McDavid.’”

Last edited by a moderator:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who should mentor McDavid? Crosby had Lemieux. The Oilers don't have any superstar / former superstar vets that would be able to mentor him. Gretzky would be amazing but he doesn't even live in Edmonton.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
What does everyone think McDavid's goal total will look like next season? And what are your expectations for his career?

I'm guessing he'll go something like 20-25 goals next year (70 - 80 points), and maybe 35ish during his prime, maybe hitting 40 a few times. Thoughts?

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
What does everyone think McDavid's goal total will look like next season? And what are your expectations for his career?

I'm guessing he'll go something like 20-25 goals next year (70 - 80 points), and maybe 35ish during his prime, maybe hitting 40 a few times. Thoughts?

I'd say that sounds about right. I'd be thrilled if Connor hits 70 points next year, ecstatic if he comes close to 80. My projection is about 65 points next year. In his prime I'd say he hits 40 goals at least once, if not multiple times.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Who should mentor McDavid? Crosby had Lemieux. The Oilers don't have any superstar / former superstar vets that would be able to mentor him. Gretzky would be amazing but he doesn't even live in Edmonton.

Gretzky wasn't mentored by a superstar though, he was surrounded by young talent. McDavid is going into a similar situation now.

I think he can still get advice from Hall and Nuge since they've gone through a similar path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad