C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 105785

His comparables are Bergeron, Richards, Kesler, I'd say Bergeron is probably the closest as I think he's smarter than both Richards and Kesler

member 105785

Hard to be the steal of the draft 9th overall. But for what it's worth, it seems the Habs desperately wanted to get into the top 10 to draft Horvat. Lots of people are very high on Bo. Is he a Mike Richards clone?

Closer to Bergeron, I think he's quite a bit smarter than Richards

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Mike Richards or David Backes. Don't really see the Bergeron comparisons when watching Horvat's game tape (Lindholm is far more Bergeron-esque IMO).

RDRR

Sep 26, 2009
Two points:
1. What is the preoccupation of Toronto fans with everything Canucks? And what does Hodgson have to do with Horvat?

And yet Leafs fans will tell you that they could care less about the Canucks and that the hate is one sided.

I think Leafs fans have gotten a little too yappy without their team's yearly beatdown from the Canucks.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
For people knocking the Bergeron comparisons, people need to remember that Bergeron was much more offensively minded before his injury, after which he became a defensive stalwart.

Horvat compares to Bergeron now (as his ceiling of course), not Bergeron when he was in JR's.

Fearless Leaf*

I threw out Ryan O'Rielly comparison in his thread, I think that's who he plays like style-wise and also has many qualities and attributes like O'Rielly as well.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Two points:
1. What is the preoccupation of Toronto fans with everything Canucks? And what does Hodgson have to do with Horvat?
2. I'd take Horvat. He's a better two way player.

Ignoring the Toronto part...

People seem to forget that Cody had an impressive all around game in junior. He played in all situations. The only reason he wasn't higher in the draft was foot speed. Unfortunately, his back injury led to nerve damage and he had issues with acceleration because of it. I always believed he had the intelligence in his game to compensate for his skating, but because it took a step backwards, he simply can't get in position quick enough even if he can process that that is where he needs to be.

I haven't had the opportunity to see as much of Horvat, but drafted junior age Hodgson was much better than a 10th overall pick. If Horvat is a better prospect than Cody was, I will be ecstatic. I'm hoping he makes Team Canada this year.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ignoring the Toronto part...

People seem to forget that Cody had an impressive all around game in junior. He played in all situations. The only reason he wasn't higher in the draft was foot speed. Unfortunately, his back injury led to nerve damage and he had issues with acceleration because of it. I always believed he had the intelligence in his game to compensate for his skating, but because it took a step backwards, he simply can't get in position quick enough even if he can process that that is where he needs to be.

I haven't had the opportunity to see as much of Horvat, but drafted junior age Hodgson was much better than a 10th overall pick. If Horvat is a better prospect than Cody was, I will be ecstatic. I'm hoping he makes Team Canada this year.

Other than the fact that both were drafted by Vancouver I don't see any comparison. If Horvat is a Bergeron type player that's quite different than Hodgson who brings high end offence but needs to work on his defence.

arsmaster*

I don't get the ROR comparisons. If it's true, why wasn't ROR drafted higher (or Horvat drafted lower)?

It doesn't matter where a player was drafted.

If you did a 2009 re-draft, Ryan O'Reilly is definitely a top 15 pick.

edit* Shea Weber, Patrice Bergeron, Backes, Datsyuk etc.....who cares where they were picked? If you went back, I bet they all go higher.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Two points:
2. I'd take Horvat. He's a better two way player.

So I'm not allowed to talk about Horvat anymore because Vancouver drafted him? Hodgson was a great two way player in junior also but with more offence. IMO Hodgson fell further than he should've in '09 and Horvat was taken higher than he should've this draft because he doesn't have the high end skill. Anyways, after reading a few other peoples' opinions I definitely like the ROR comparison. With that being said though, I never got to see him live in the playoffs, just 4 or 5 times in the regular season before he climbed on everyones lists.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Other than the fact that both were drafted by Vancouver I don't see any comparison. If Horvat is a Bergeron type player that's quite different than Hodgson who brings high end offence but needs to work on his defence.

Other than draft position and team, yes, they aren't comparable. I just hate seeing Cody get knocked. He was a hell of a pick who had an injury lessen his worth.

I've watched a bunch of clips now and read up on Bo. I see the Richards/Bergeron comparables and they seem right. I hope he rips it up in London next year and makes a big difference for Team Canada at the U20. I don't want him rushed into the NHL this year. He has only had one season where he got offensive opportunities and one more year in the spotlight as the potential captain and host of the Memorial Cup under Hunter in one if the best junior programs would go a long way in his development.

StringerBell

The O'Reilly comparison is okay, but I think Horvat plays a heavier game than ROR. Personally I'd go with David Backes without the mean streak.

What's was the knock on ROR that made him a 2nd round pick instead of a 1st?

Skating

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Backes is a bad comparison.... he's not as physical no where near the hitter the Backes is. Horvat doesn't scrap yet.

Bergeron is seemingly the best fit now that I think about it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Cody Hodgson. He did well in Vancouver, right?
No. I would prefer Hodgson over Horvat any day. I think Horvat is majorly overrated.

To me the character of Horvat is on a whole other level than Hodgson's.

Hodgson is the better offensive player, Horvat is better everywhere else & he still brings good skill to the table.

I'm not completely sold on his offensive upside. But if he can turn into a solid two way player then I'll be happy.

I would expect his numbers & offensive game will improve next year with more opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad