C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thanks for all of the reports and insights on Horvat. Given that we never expected to get Bo at 24 I think a lot of Vancouver fans have misperceptions about this player and what his qualities and NHL upside is. Everything I've read in this thread makes me very happy with the pick and will follow his progress in London next year very carefully.

A question to those who follow Horvat closely, what do you see him need to work on next year, assuming he is returned to London? I've read he could work on his skating *a little* but not much else. Is it more a matter of continuing to develop his offensive game and gain confidence in that part of his game? And what are your expectations for him next year (offensively) in order to feel comfortable that he is progressing in the offensive side of his game?

Finally, if you had to compare his game *stylistically* to a current NHLer, who would you say? Bergeron seems to be the one I hear most, just wonder how accurate that is.

Thanks in advance!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for all of the reports and insights on Horvat. Given that we never expected to get Bo at 24 I think a lot of Vancouver fans have misperceptions about this player and what his qualities and NHL upside is. Everything I've read in this thread makes me very happy with the pick and will follow his progress in London next year very carefully.

A question to those who follow Horvat closely, what do you see him need to work on next year, assuming he is returned to London? I've read he could work on his skating *a little* but not much else. Is it more a matter of continuing to develop his offensive game and gain confidence in that part of his game? And what are your expectations for him next year (offensively) in order to feel comfortable that he is progressing in the offensive side of his game?

Finally, if you had to compare his game *stylistically* to a current NHLer, who would you say? Bergeron seems to be the one I hear most, just wonder how accurate that is.

Thanks in advance!

His skating could definitely improve some - not that his skating is bad or anything. With him, it's more on about working on his overall game, with attention to offense, then having to try to repair some glaring weakness.

The Canucks fans should be very happy about getting him. He will be a good player for you.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There's an off chance he'll make it. He's strong and is defensively good for his age. I still think he overall game needs a bit more seasoning and he could use another year in junior.

It would be nice for him if he made it. He's a great player and a hard worker...I feel that sometimes he's been unfairly overlooked a bit

I think there's a chance he gets in 8 games, but for the full season I think he's pretty much guaranteed to return to the OHL. He'll get experience as the likely team captain on his team, be much more leaned on for offence, he'll likely go to world juniors and he has a ticket to the memorial cup. No need to rush him to the NHL when he has so many great opportunities lined up in junior for next year.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Better he returns IMO. He needs to put up the points and improve his offensive game upon last year. You don't get a chance to do this playing 4th line minutes.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Vancouver fans: Think Joe Pavelski with the frame of Zack Kassian. Ridiculously strong kid who forechecks hard, is very good defensively, one of the best faceoff guys in the OHL and has a decent offensive touch as well. Not that fast but his game isn't about speed

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think there's a chance he gets in 8 games, but for the full season I think he's pretty much guaranteed to return to the OHL. He'll get experience as the likely team captain on his team, be much more leaned on for offence, he'll likely go to world juniors and he has a ticket to the memorial cup. No need to rush him to the NHL when he has so many great opportunities lined up in junior for next year.

Better he returns IMO. He needs to put up the points and improve his offensive game upon last year. You don't get a chance to do this playing 4th line minutes.

I agree. When you have a player with no glaring weaknesses but whose overall game needs improvement, rushing him to the pros so he can play 8 minutes a game helps no one.

I don't really think much good would come out of him playing a full year in Vancouver - and doubt he's ready. He's a great player, but we're not talking about someone who has obviously outgrown junior hockey.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I'm not sure how fast Kesler is, but Bo is pretty fast. I'd put him around Frolik fast but below Stalberg/Grabner fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODOX3cx3cQ

it's hard to gauge speed of a player until you see him in the NHL. A player can look like he has elite speed in junior and then look pretty average in the NHL. Skating doesn't appear to be a problem or weakness for him though.

sommet

Feb 11, 2013
Bo Horvat comparables

I would like to have your opinion on this one about his ceiling... upsides... with which NHL player he can be compared to etc..

I am not sure so i seek for your advices :)

If there is a thread about him sorry did not see it..

Thx for your time

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Vancouver fans: Think Joe Pavelski with the frame of Zack Kassian. Ridiculously strong kid who forechecks hard, is very good defensively, one of the best faceoff guys in the OHL and has a decent offensive touch as well. Not that fast but his game isn't about speed

If this is accurate: drool.

Tough trade to swallow but holy **** is Bo an exciting prospect.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I honestly, don't know that much about him. From what I am hearing, he could be the steal of the draft. A complete two way beast.

Hard to be the steal of the draft 9th overall. But for what it's worth, it seems the Habs desperately wanted to get into the top 10 to draft Horvat. Lots of people are very high on Bo. Is he a Mike Richards clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad