C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Don't think he'll be there at the 13th slot unfortunately.

I believe that you are not watching the same games as we fans do. The team is going nowhere this year.

Laine would be the best option for Montreal.

True. Laine would be an insane pick for Mtl. But, hell do we desperately need a true number 1 center. We haven't had one for a while. This kid reminds a lot of Beliveau. Who better to pick him than Mtl? (Ok, I give it to Arizona)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
True. Laine would be an insane pick for Mtl. But, hell do we desperately need a true number 1 center. We haven't had one for a while. This kid reminds a lot of Beliveau. Who better to pick him than Mtl? (Ok, I give it to Arizona)

Apparently Laine can play center as well. I wouldn't mind either, but I prefer Laine.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I believe that you are not watching the same games as we fans do. The team is going nowhere this year.

Toronto

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Both Laine and Matthews are going to be stars in their teams. Who is going to become the most valuable pick is very difficult to predict.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He reminds me so much of Malkin that it actually scares me. Neither are very flashy (maybe once or twice in a blue moon) but the way he controls the game is so reminiscent of Malkin. Any team who gets him will have a future star for themselves.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
He reminds me so much of Malkin that it actually scares me. Neither are very flashy (maybe once or twice in a blue moon) but the way he controls the game is so reminiscent of Malkin. Any team who gets him will have a future star for themselves.

Malkin not flashy? Must be watching a different guy, hes almost guaranteed to deke at least one guy every game. There are some similarities there though, but when Malkins on his game he's looping around the whole zone toe dragging everybody in sight.

Last edited:

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015

I don't get the Malkin vibe's at all. I'm with the guy above me, Malkin is extremely flashy and dominates with his skill or his body. Like you said Mathews slows the game down, but I think he looks more like Kopitar or Thornton (but not as physical as either).

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah, Malkin is probably the flashiest big man in the league.

Matthews has a fairly unique game, when he needs to use it his skill level is clearly extremely high (elite hands, outstanding skater for his size, very nice shot, silky smooth passes, etc.), but he only goes for the high skill moves when necessary, often gets it done with his smarts. Definitely a "slow the game down" type, though he can play the high speed, high skill game too, and breaks out something really special along those lines a few times per game.

If forced to compare him with current players, maybe some sort of weird mid-way point between Kopitar and Henrik Sedin, with a hint of Hossa? That's a pretty garbage comparison though, he's just his own player.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For all the debate on Matthews. This is not a draft deep in quality Centers. Whoever drafts him this summer will get the best Center this draft. And it really is not close. And this makes him my blue chip #1 pick overall pick this draft.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Montreal is going to make the playoffs or barely miss so unless there is a miracle they wont be getting Matthews. Not in the draft selection anyways.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
For all the debate on Matthews. This is not a draft deep in quality Centers. Whoever drafts him this summer will get the best Center this draft. And it really is not close. And this makes him my blue chip #1 pick overall pick this draft.

I could not say it better..:)

BigMacAttack*

Nov 15, 2015
Montreal is going to make the playoffs or barely miss so unless there is a miracle they wont be getting Matthews. Not in the draft selection anyways.

Bergevin pretty much said we are going to tank so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up drafting Matthews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I could not say it better..:)

I am a big believer in building up the middle with quality. Matthews is quality down the middle. I don't know if he can carry a team. But give him a strong supporting cast, and your team should be contenders for years. He is the #1 pick for me. And I am on record as saying the top end talent of this draft is better than last year's draft if you take away a once in a lifetime talent like Mcdavid. Big, strong, skilled Centers are rare in hockey. When you have a chance to draft one. Don't make a mistake by being too cute.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For those comparing Matthews' production with Puljujarvi and Laine: the latest NHLe has the NLA as stronger than the Finnish league.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Better Johansen maybe. But I saw a less explosive malkin when I saw him shortly.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
For those comparing Matthews' production with Puljujarvi and Laine: the latest NHLe has the NLA as stronger than the Finnish league.
Stronger top end players but lacks the depth from third/fourth lines Liiga has. And I think the players in bottom end teams in NLA are worse than in Liiga. Not to mention the goalies in NLA compared to Liiga. And I'd say the tactical level is still in favor of Liiga.

This all forces most of the games to be low scoring, defence first type of games where it's sometimes really hard to shine as individual player, not the mention as a youngster whose biggest strength is in offensive play.

I've said this earlier but if Matthews played in Liiga, I'm sure as hell he wouldn't be able to score over 1 PPG.

PS. I still rate Matthews over Laine or Puljujärvi.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
I've said this earlier but if Matthews played in Liiga, I'm sure as hell he wouldn't be able to score over 1 PPG.

2015-16
NLA: 5.97 goals per game
NHL: 5.27 goals per game
Liiga: 4.89 goals per game

That's a HUGE difference.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I wouldn't only consider the 1.29ppg per se but rather that Matthews is 9th in scoring and tied 1# for goals with 10-14 games less than the competitors. The GPG isn't a factor in that comparison. The Finns aren't anywhere near the top and they are in their second season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad