C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Hey Matthew I'm not saying he isn't a player but both of those goals are lame ass plays by a total of 4 defencemen.

Waving the stick at him as he goes by is not really a legitimate hockey play.

So it's a similar style to that of defensman in the CHL? The league where most stars come from. Guess McDavid had a lot of illigimate hockey plays.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Out of curiosity, are we overhyping Matthews in general?

Very curious, rank him against McDavid and Eichel, so I have a better idea? I'm not familiar with Matthews' game at all, and I don't want to act like I do..

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hey Matthew I'm not saying he isn't a player but both of those goals are lame ass plays by a total of 4 defencemen.

Waving the stick at him as he goes by is not really a legitimate hockey play.

Well then, imagine what he'd do against kids in a junior league :popcorn:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Very curious, rank him against McDavid and Eichel, so I have a better idea? I'm not familiar with Matthews' game at all, and I don't want to act like I do..

where do they rank?

McDavid

Matthews
Eichel

I've always had Matthews as the better player and never bought into last year's hype.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Matthews and McDavid play very different games.It's impossible to compare then until they play in the same league.
Who's a better hockey player? Benn or Kane? Crosby or Ovechkin? Tavares or Lucic?

You can compare any player, I don't think Matthews and McDavid are all that different as hockey players. Matthews isn't very physical, skating is a strength like McDavid, Matthews shoots more, McDavid more of a playmaker. Some things are different but we aren't comparing power forward to playmaker or anything.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Who said anything about McDavid?

It was an example. I constantly see people wetting themselves over highly touted players making plays against 16 year olds that won't be good enough to play in any professional league, yet I almost never see a post like yours to try and undercut said plays.

I mean, do you go to every Marner, Strome, Garland, Dvo, etc. thread to point out their play was against poor defense?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Overhyping? Before the Swiss season started there were people saying they'd be thrilled if he put up a .5 PPG throughout the season. He doubled that from the get go. If anything there isn't a lot of hype because there is no competition for that number one spot and he is playing on the other side of the world.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I feel Matthews is better at slowing game down than Eichel.It's hard to compare them until Auston plays in NHL.

I would agree with that assessment. Matthews is more cerebral, Eichel is more physical. Not to say that Matthews doesn't have elite physical tools or that Eichel doesn't have elite hockey IQ, just that that's how I'd describe the differences between their styles.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I would agree with that assessment. Matthews is more cerebral, Eichel is more physical. Not to say that Matthews doesn't have elite physical tools or that Eichel doesn't have elite hockey IQ, just that that's how I'd describe the differences between their styles.

Eichel maybe is more physical,but he needs to show that in NHL.:laugh:

Matthews is more gritty than McD and Eichel based on what I saw tbh.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It was an example. I constantly see people wetting themselves over highly touted players making plays against 16 year olds that won't be good enough to play in any professional league, yet I almost never see a post like yours to try and undercut said plays.

I mean, do you go to every Marner, Strome, Garland, Dvo, etc. thread to point out their play was against poor defense?

I stand by what I said in my post. I said nothing negative about Matthews ability. I called out the players that made "lame ass plays". For so called grown men playing so called professional hockey that was just wrong wrong wrong.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Eichel maybe is more physical,but he needs to show that in NHL.:laugh:

Matthews is more gritty than McD and Eichel based on what I saw tbh.

I'm not talking grit, I'm talking physical tools. Eichel's skating, his agility, acceleration, his shot, his puck protection, etc.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Same here. Don't know much about him. 30th in scoring in the Swiss league...what gives? Shouldn't he be dominating that league?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Same here. Don't know much about him. 30th in scoring in the Swiss league...what gives? Shouldn't he be dominating that league?

Meh, he's just producing roughly the same numbers as Patrick Kane did during the lockout. Bust.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He is dominating the league, he's just missed 1/3 of the season because he was too young and then had a minor injury.

Also, no, wasn't supposed to dominate the league. Most had him pegged as a .5 PPG player. 1.15 PPG in the Swiss League for an 18 year old is outrageously good.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

He's producing as well as many very good NHL players did in the lockout.

IMO not a McDavid level player but right up there with Tavares/MacKinnon/Hall or even a slight notch above those 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad