C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
You sure? He's currently being outscored by a lot of guys his own age.

I'm as big of a Patrick fan as any and I can say he's nowhere close to Matthews-level. But the biggest part of Patrick's game isn't the offensive side to me. It's not a fair judgment to the type of player he is. He could be a Toews/Bergeron type center. (Not saying he will be)

As an add to this, the Wheaties have been struggling this season to find goals. He's still their second leading scorer. (They are stacked and should be way better than how their playing)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
You sure? He's currently being outscored by a lot of guys his own age.

Actually only 1 2017 eligible is outscoring him and that player is a small 1 dimensional player. I doubt Patrick will ever put up the offensive numbers of Matthews but I unlike most on here I actually value a complete player instead of just points. Also it's not his draft year so being ppg+ is impressive.

This is Matthews thread so back on him I cant wait to see what he can do at the WJC.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Actually only 1 2017 eligible is outscoring him and that player is a small 1 dimensional player. I doubt Patrick will ever put up the offensive numbers of Matthews but I unlike most on here I actually value a complete player instead of just points. Also it's not his draft year so being ppg+ is impressive.

This is Matthews thread so back on him I cant wait to see what he can do at the WJC.

Draft year matters way less than birth year. Currently lots of 98-born players are outscoring Petrick. I've never seen him play but his numbers do seem a bit underwhelming for a player many rank at the very top of the 2017 draft.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Patrick is a late '98, which is pretty much a key thing to look at when evaluating a prospect's stats. The rule of thumb is if you aren't comfortable with a late birthday's stats hypothetically being their draft year stats, they shouldn't be drafted as high. Now obviously Patrick isn't the type of player you evaluate on stats alone, but even considering that it's pretty wack to say that he'll "probably" be better than Matthews.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just finished watching some of his game play videos / highlight packages. If there was a word to describe his playstyle, I would label it as efficient. Or very economical. He doesn't appear to be traditionally dynamic, but he does everything at a high level, and he rarely seems to make a bad play with the puck.

Looks like Monahan clone in all honesty.

I agree about the efficiency comment, but he is a significantly better playmaker, skater, and puck handler than Monahan.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Patrick is a late '98, which is pretty much a key thing to look at when evaluating a prospect's stats. The rule of thumb is if you aren't comfortable with a late birthday's stats hypothetically being their draft year stats, they shouldn't be drafted as high. Now obviously Patrick isn't the type of player you evaluate on stats alone, but even considering that it's pretty wack to say that he'll "probably" be better than Matthews.

No player should be evaluated on stats alone(although most fans do). Also I never said he'll probably be better, I said he has a good chance. You can spin it to mean that if you want but it's not what I said. As of now I think Matthews will be better than Patrick but there's a "chance" Patrick could be better and we wont know for 5+ years anyway.

As for my comment that sparked this it was a reply to someone who implied the only reason Patrick will be argued to be better than Matthews next year is because of the shiny new toy argument which is flat out wrong. Patrick is a very good talent in his own right and does have a "chance" to be better.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Offensive powerhouse drafts of 2015 and 16, seems like a really dead draft next year.

But 2018 seems to have potential.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
No player should be evaluated on stats alone(although most fans do). Also I never said he'll probably be better, I said he has a good chance. You can spin it to mean that if you want but it's not what I said. As of now I think Matthews will be better than Patrick but there's a "chance" Patrick could be better and we wont know for 5+ years anyway.

As for my comment that sparked this it was a reply to someone who implied the only reason Patrick will be argued to be better than Matthews next year is because of the shiny new toy argument which is flat out wrong. Patrick is a very good talent in his own right and does have a "chance" to be better.

By that logic other players in the draft have a "good chance" of being better than Patrick. So I guess he's not so special after all.

At no point has Patrick shown that he is a superior player to Matthews. But like you said, in 5 years from now maybe that will suddenly change.

Offensive powerhouse drafts of 2015 and 16, seems like a really dead draft next year.

Judging by the play at the U17 event, the overall quality of the players is high.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014

This draft isn't is good as it seems. Besides Matthews, there doesn't see to be any real franchise forwards. Eichel, Strome and Marner are much better than Tkachuk, Laine and Puljarvi.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I haven't seen him play much. How would he compare to Stamkos? Am I right in saying that he's going to be more of a goal scoring center than assisting center?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This draft isn't is good as it seems. Besides Matthews, there doesn't see to be any real franchise forwards. Eichel, Strome and Marner are much better than Tkachuk, Laine and Puljarvi.

I think Eichel is better than the rest but I think Pulju and Laine are = Strome and Marner. It's hard to compare these guys across leagues. But Pulju is faster than all of them and has a better shot IMO than either of Strome and Marner. Laine has crazy hands for a guy his size. Something you won't be able to teach Strome and Marner. Though I'd say both of them are better overall playmakers. Each of those guys are different players so it really depends on what you prefer. Tkachuk is hard to put a read on based on his team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think Eichel is better than the rest but I think Pulju and Laine are = Strome and Marner. It's hard to compare these guys across leagues. But Pulju is faster than all of them and has a better shot IMO than either of Strome and Marner. Laine has crazy hands for a guy his size. Something you won't be able to teach Strome and Marner. Though I'd say both of them are better overall playmakers. Each of those guys are different players so it really depends on what you prefer. Tkachuk is hard to put a read on based on his team.

Strome's shot is pretty elite.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I haven't seen him play much. How would he compare to Stamkos? Am I right in saying that he's going to be more of a goal scoring center than assisting center?

I see him as much more of a playmaker. He can score goals in tight with the best and has a nice release, but he is fairly handsy and displays great vision.

He's always reminded me of a big Patrick Kane in that way.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why has everyone stopped discussing the projected #1?

What is there to discuss? He is very good at hockey, doesn't have any real weaknesses, is producing like he's supposed to. Added to the fact that not many HFers can watch him due to the fact that he plays in the NLA, and there isn't really anything to be discussed.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011

so it seems good but really isn't? you clearly made you homework and studied these players right? :laugh:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Given the hype-hangover that has accompanied the McEichel sauga, and the lack of exposure that comes with playing in Switzerland, Matthews is flying pretty low under the radar. Going to be quite the underrated 1st overall pick come draft day.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Given the hype-hangover that has accompanied the McEichel sauga, and the lack of exposure that comes with playing in Switzerland, Matthews is flying pretty low under the radar. Going to be quite the underrated 1st overall pick come draft day.

Everyone knows how good he is, that's why there is no discussion, up to this point nobody has been challenging him.

He's going to be a pretty undisputed #1 at this rate.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
landymac is notorious for overvaluing canadians and devaluing americans. not sure why nationality is even important when evaluating prospects but whatever. matthews is a step above nolan it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise based on the information we have.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
landymac is notorious for overvaluing canadians and devaluing americans. not sure why nationality is even important when evaluating prospects but whatever. matthews is a step above nolan it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise based on the information we have.

The younger player is always the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad