C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I don't see the justification behind Eichel over Matthews unless its based off bias or preference. Matthews is at least on par or slightly better than Eichel. They are 2 very different players that bring different skill sets to the game.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
His poise is really something. Just calms down the play so well. Vision has really impressed me. Always moving in the right direction. Hands are off the charts with the dish on the PP goal and made a couple stick handling in phone booth kind of plays which really impressed me.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah, super mature play, especially since he's 2 years younger than a lot of the guys in this tourney. Always seems to make the right play, sees the ice super well, and will wow you with skill often enough too. Great prospect.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, super mature play, especially since he's 2 years younger than a lot of the guys in this tourney. Always seems to make the right play, sees the ice super well, and will wow you with skill often enough too. Great prospect.

Isn't he a year younger, as he's been 18 for few months already?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Isn't he a year younger, as he's been 18 for few months already?
True, I was going more for "vs. draft year" type experience (i.e. Matthews is pre-draft, while plenty of players are 2-years post-draft), but he is pretty old for his draft year. Still, he's on the younger side for this tourney, and looked like the most mature player on either team.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't think he had that good of a game, but it shows how talented he is that his bad games are games where he still puts up points and is one of the better players for his own team.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Very impressed with his play today...... in my opinion much better then Jack Eichel good nose for the net and excellent playmaker

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
Very impressed with his play today...... in my opinion much better then Jack Eichel good nose for the net and excellent playmaker

He definitely drives the net better than Eichel(works an excellent give and go). Just doesn't have that elite skating like Eichel does, although still very good. I can see Matthews scoring a ton of goals in close around the crease in the NHL. Kid plays a greasy game

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
similar appearance in their stride and handling of the puck when skating though. matthews has apparently made big strides in his skating the last year or 2.

I get what you are saying about how they play stylistically, I kind of thought the same thing, but I think the key difference is the skating.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
They're very different players. Eichel has more obvious high end talent, much more of the "skating circles around you" type. However, he also tends to force things too much, tries to make things happen every time he touches the puck, which can cause issues.

Matthews plays a more mature game, picks his spots, passes really well, and slows the game down instead of going full speed all the time. I don't think his raw talent is at Eichel's level, but he does play a smarter game.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I know he's not massive by any standards, but he plays such a big game. Guys don't want to get in front of him because he just runs right over them. I like this kid a lot.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I didn't think he was that good. His two points weren't nice but still count, I thought Eichel looked better when he was 17 in Sweden than Matthews so far. Just a first impression though, he has a whole tournament to go.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I didn't think he was that good. His two points weren't nice but still count, I thought Eichel looked better when he was 17 in Sweden than Matthews so far. Just a first impression though, he has a whole tournament to go.

You didn't think his assist on the PP was nice? That sauce could have landed on a cloud and wouldn't have went through. I know your shtick, so I try not to take you too seriously, but that was a beauty pass.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You didn't think his assist on the PP was nice? That sauce could have landed on a cloud and wouldn't have went through. I know your shtick, so I try not to take you too seriously, but that was a beauty pass.

I agree with Ferrero Rocher. He didn't dominate the game like you'd think a "generational talent" could. It wasn't his best game. I think whats more impressive is that he can put up two points in a bad game.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I agree with Ferrero Rocher. He didn't dominate the game like you'd think a "generational talent" could. It wasn't his best game. I think whats more impressive is that he can put up two points in a bad game.

I don't think he dominated, either. I didn't say he did. At times he did dictate play, though. What I specifically mentioned was his assist. The person I quoted said his points weren't "nice". That assist was nice.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

draft eligible players pretty much never dominate this tournament. i thought matthews started slowly but was the best player on the ice after the canada 5 minute PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad