C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I can't stop thinking about Auston Matthews being a Maple Leaf.

Please Hockey Gods. Please, make it happen. All will be forgiven for that whole being 1 lotto number away from McDavid thing.

If anyone needs a blessing from the hockey gods it would be the yotes, we got f***ed by the draft lotto hard. We won't get him of course, he'll be an oiler. The only thing they seen to be able to win is draft lotteries.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If anyone needs a blessing from the hockey gods it would be the yotes, we got f***ed by the draft lotto hard. We won't get him of course, he'll be an oiler. The only thing they seen to be able to win is draft lotteries.

Your core is already looking amazing offensively speaking, domi and duclair both look like they can be 60-70 point players in their prime, you got dvorak, perlini and big strome each who are pretty elite. A ppg potential center in their as well as two other high end prospects. The leafs have some great prospects as well but we could really use an offensive machine like matthews, though at the end of the day, may the best loser win

Shwaguy*

Yotes need a blessing too but they don't need a blessing any more (or less) than the Leafs

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

True, true.

If the Leafs don't win Matthews, I hope he goes to you guys.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

If the oilers won the lottery again I think it would FINALLY make the NHL institute a rule that no longer allows a team to pick 1st overall in consecutive years.

That would be so unfair it's not even fathomable.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If the oilers won the lottery again I think it would FINALLY make the NHL institute a rule that no longer allows a team to pick 1st overall in consecutive years.

Oilers would make a trade and get a 1st from a perceived top 10 team, and then that team would bomb and would win the lotto. Giving the Oilers a 1st

Also, just a random thought. Say this was a rule and Oilers were last place going into final game of the year. Whats stopping them from trading that pick for an elite young player, that pick still has vlaue of a #1 pick

food for thought

anyway, back to matthews. What a kid

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Oilers would make a trade and get a 1st from a perceived top 10 team, and then that team would bomb and would win the lotto. Giving the Oilers a 1st

Also, just a random thought. Say this was a rule and Oilers were last place going into final game of the year. Whats stopping them from trading that pick for an elite young player, that pick still has vlaue of a #1 pick

food for thought

anyway, back to matthews. What a kid
i have no problem with the oilers getting the 1st if its another teams, thats just fricking amazing luck. If the oilers them selves get the 1st ill be mad. But if they finish with a pick that was originally 8th or higher i wont be as mad as that showed they made a good amount of progression and just got lucky. Obviously if the oilers are drafting matthews than the management better trade either drai or rnh, and hall or eberle out for d help. The oilers defense is starting to become better, but if they get another 1st overall pick it will be impossible for them to resign all their young core of yak, hall, mcdavid, eberle, nurse, drai, etc

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
i have no problem with the oilers getting the 1st if its another teams, thats just fricking amazing luck. If the oilers them selves get the 1st ill be mad. But if they finish with a pick that was originally 8th or higher i wont be as mad as that showed they made a good amount of progression and just got lucky. Obviously if the oilers are drafting matthews than the management better trade either drai or rnh, and hall or eberle out for d help. The oilers defense is starting to become better, but if they get another 1st overall pick it will be impossible for them to resign all their young core of yak, hall, mcdavid, eberle, nurse, drai, etc

Oh I agree. If we are picking matthews by virtue of being last, im dealing whoever for whatever. Oilers didnt deserve Mcdavid either

But the concept of limiting a teams #1s picks over x years is flawed. If for whatever reason Betman said to the Oilers at game 81 where they are 2-77 that they couldnt pick 1st, theyd just trade the pick for S. Reinhart or Mackinnon or someone. Easy to evade that.

As for Matthews, I wonder how many points he could put up in NHL this season? 45-50?

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Oh I agree. If we are picking matthews by virtue of being last, im dealing whoever for whatever. Oilers didnt deserve Mcdavid either

But the concept of limiting a teams #1s picks over x years is flawed. If for whatever reason Betman said to the Oilers at game 81 where they are 2-77 that they couldnt pick 1st, theyd just trade the pick for S. Reinhart or Mackinnon or someone. Easy to evade that.

As for Matthews, I wonder how many points he could put up in NHL this season? 45-50?

Betman wouldn't decide that at game 81. It would probably be implemented before the season. Also, that pick wouldn't remain 1st overall if it's traded. It would remain whatever position Oilers' would hypothetically slide to due to the rule.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If the oilers won....

That is how I felt last year. I said "theres no way the Oilers win their 4th draft lottery in 6 years, causing Buffalo to lose the draft lottery 2 years in a row. I don't think any last place team has ever been screwed out of the #1 overall pick 2 years in a row...".

So, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the Oilers win it again.

Edmonton is the draft lottery dynasty after all...

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Betman wouldn't decide that at game 81. It would probably be implemented before the season. Also, that pick wouldn't remain 1st overall if it's traded. It would remain whatever position Oilers' would hypothetically slide to due to the rule.

How about the NHL just do what I have suggested all along.

The 14 non playoff teams get 1 ball each in the machine.

However, there is a caveat:

Keep the bottom 4 teams out to start the draw. Teams 5-14 go into the draw and start pushing balls out. First ball out gets 14th overall then 13th etc...

Then there is another caveat:

10 teams go into the first lottery but only 6 are pulled out. Those are picks 14 to 9. Four balls remain

Final caveat

Take the 4 remaining balls and add the 4 that were held out in the beginning and start the lottery again.

1st one out is 8th , then 7th etc. Final ball gets 1st overall.

In this method we accomplish several things:

First and foremost, the 14th to 5th team overall reverse order can finish anywhere in the draft lottery. 1-14

the 4th overall to 1st overall reverse order teams can finish at worst 8th overall to 1st overall.

:handclap:

There will be no point to tanking Teams 14 to 5 draft spot have the exact same value, as do teams 1-4 pre lottery.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If the Oilers do get Matthews RNH is gone for a top defender.

That's a lot of if and if they do indeed get Matthews, I promise you have no clue what their plan of action will be. Let's try to keep this thread to discussing Matthews the prospect - not Signed the philosopher..

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Matthews to Arizona would make me very, very happy.

Duclair, Domi, Strome, Perlini, Matthews. Damn.

And keep around guys like Hanzal, Boedker, Vermette, etc. to insulate them. That could be an awfully nice group of forwards in a couple years.

Domi - Matthews - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - Boedker
Vermette - Hanzal - XXXX

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He should go to you guys just by virtue of him being an Arizona kid.

Half Mexican as well. Although he is a Blackhawks fan...

It would be nice, but the odds of it happening are not good.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
If the Oilers do get Matthews RNH is gone for a top defender.

That depends, what gets you a better dman? Matthews might snag more, and RNH is the perfect 2nd line center for McDavid. Edit: God I hope we aren't in a position to pick Matthews this year...

Last edited:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
RNH for Adam Larsson...

Hall-Mcdavid-Yak
Draisaitl-Matthews-Eberle

Larsson-Reinhart
Klefbom-Nurse

Might actually make the playoffs

As an Oilers fan I say hell no.

Matthews could possibly net you OEL from Arizona. Maybe more.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Yak
Hall - RNH - Eberle

OEL - Nurse
Klefbom - Reinhart

Is more impressive IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad