C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
As an Oilers fan I say hell no.

Matthews could possibly net you OEL from Arizona. Maybe more.

Draisaitl - McDavid - Yak
Hall - RNH - Eberle

OEL - Nurse
Klefbom - Reinhart

Is more impressive IMO

Matthews will NOT net you OEL. Matthews and Eberle would net you OEL

Shwaguy*

Matthews straight up should Absolutely get you OEL.

Unless you don't think Eichel would get you OEL

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
Matthews straight up should Absolutely get you OEL.

Unless you don't think Eichel would get you OEL

Look at the Coyotes defense without OEL. It's bare with no prospects on the horizon. I'm a Yotes fan who lives in Scottsdale and would love to see him go to them but not at the expense of OEL.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
And keep around guys like Hanzal, Boedker, Vermette, etc. to insulate them. That could be an awfully nice group of forwards in a couple years.

Domi - Matthews - Duclair
Perlini - Strome - Boedker
Vermette - Hanzal - XXXX

Dvorak, Merkley and Samuelsson should push for spots soon too and can't forget Tobias Rieder who's become a fan favorite lately. Exciting times for yotes fans who are used to boring dump and chase hockey...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dvorak, Merkley and Samuelsson should push for spots soon too and can't forget Tobias Rieder who's become a fan favorite lately. Exciting times for yotes fans who are used to boring dump and chase hockey...

Aaand more guys I forgot about. :laugh:

Honestly, I did remember Rieder, but thought he'd fallen off.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Look at the Coyotes defense without OEL. It's bare with no prospects on the horizon. I'm a Yotes fan who lives in Scottsdale and would love to see him go to them but not at the expense of OEL.

Sorry buddy but I'm a Leafs fan who grew up in Canada, living and breathing hockey for 30+ years, and I'm telling you no NHL GM would turn down Matthews for OEL, it's an absolute no-brainer. Arizona would have to add. You can trade for other 24 year old star d-men, you can't trade for an 18 year old generational talent.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sorry buddy but I'm a Leafs fan who grew up in Canada, living and breathing hockey for 30+ years, and I'm telling you no NHL GM would turn down Matthews for OEL, it's an absolute no-brainer. Arizona would have to add. You can trade for other 24 year old star d-men, you can't trade for an 18 year old generational talent.

As a habs fan that lived in the hockey Mecca (Montreal) for most of my life, also living and breathing hockey for 20 years, I 100% agree with you. OEL is great, but Matthews has more marketability in Arizona...He's from there, he is a sure-fire superstar center which is something any team needs (regardless of whether or not its a need).

AZ would pull the trigger on that trade in a heartbeat.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
His point totals have surpassed my expectations thus far. What a start for him.

He's just such a well-rounded offensive threat that can burn you in so many different ways.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You don't get 3 generational prospects in 2 drafts, generational usually means a prospect you only see once in a 10 year span. Great prospect and would go one in most drafts, but this term gets thrown around way too much. The list of generational prospects since Gretzky entered the league is Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
There is no way that the team who lands Matthews trades him for EOL .

I cant even believe some on here think its even plausible enough to discuss it.

I mean there is rose colored homer shades, and then there is full out homer blindness.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Matthews >> OEL

At this point a few years ago people were saying the same thing about Yakupov. I believe Matthews is going to be a star but you don't trade an elite #1 D for a prospect unless it's McDavid or something.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
At this point a few years ago people were saying the same thing about Yakupov. I believe Matthews is going to be a star but you don't trade an elite #1 D for a prospect unless it's McDavid or something.

I think the people who think Matthews > OEL are the ones who would consider Matthews an "or something".

I'm the biggest Matthews fan around here but I just don't think you trade an established young star #1D on a good contract for a non-McDavid prospect when you have an excellent group of forward prospects and almost nothing on D after OEL at any age.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
This is a Matthews thread, not a how dreamy he'll look in your lineup (that's a team forum post BTW) or a trade value thread. Get back on-topic please.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
You don't get 3 generational prospects in 2 drafts, generational usually means a prospect you only see once in a 10 year span. Great prospect and would go one in most drafts, but this term gets thrown around way too much. The list of generational prospects since Gretzky entered the league is Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid.

Only Canadians can get that distinction is essentially what you are saying. Such bull ****.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Only Canadians can get that distinction is essentially what you are saying. Such bull ****.
no lafontaine was pretty generational for me, had he stayed healthy he would be much higher in terms of all time greats, i say ovi and geno are right up there too. Lindstrom is a generational player not prospect though. Eichel and matthews very well may become generational players but its hard too see so many generational prospects come out at once.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
no lafontaine was pretty generational for me, had he stayed healthy he would be much higher in terms of all time greats, i say ovi and geno are right up there too. Lindstrom is a generational player not prospect though. Eichel and matthews very well may become generational players but its hard too see so many generational prospects come out at once.

Joakim?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No, but no other prospect would go above these guys in a draft, Eichel or Matthew don't get drafted ahead of the guys I listed. That is why they are generational, the NBA hasn't had a generational prospect that isn't American (except maybe The Dream who went through the American college system), am I being xenophobic with that statement? The USA has come close but still hasn't produced one, very hard to judge the Iron Curtain guys but Fedorov was probably a generational prospect.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010

I'm sorry but Matthews at the expense of OEL does not make them a better team now or in the near future without a number 1D in the pipeline. How's all the skilled forwards working out for the oilers? I see trade proposals everyday "one of the oilers young forwards for a no 1D" but haven't seen any of these trades happen yet. This team needs to be competitive in the near future to remain in the valley.

I know Canadians are fascinated by the idea of getting a "local boy" but quite frankly not many here care where the players are from as most of the population (especially that that are interested in hockey) aren't from here anyways...much like myself who moved here 10 years ago after growing up 45 mins south of Montreal living, breathing and playing hockey for the first 20 years of my life.

Regardless my fingers are crossed the Coyotes get him. I've had the pleasure to skate a few pick up sessions with him and just seems like an all around good kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad