C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Man is he fluid on his skates, transitions real well.

I agree. Matthews has really strong basics, it's easier to appreciate that from this longer clip. It's kind of shocking too that this was his first game in the Swiss league, there's no way he's playing at anywhere close to 100% but more like trying to fit in and get something done piecemeal here and there. Once his teammates know what to expect out of him and some chemistry is established I'm expecting to see some smooth work done in Switzerland.

Would he be good enough to play in the NHL right now? I guess that depends on which team he would've ended up at. His skill level is right up there with the top 2015 drafted players anyway.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but he looks like his acceleration is a step or two ahead compared to the U18's last Spring. I didn't really check many USA games from that tournament, so it might have been just a low sample set.

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Wow I'm very impressed. Very fluid skater. He has softer hands, more patience, and better vision than I imagined before when I've only seen highlights here and there.
Would look fantastic with a leaf jersey on and Mitch Marner on his wing

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
He's now tied for the team lead in scoring despite his late start.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
As a wings fan I don't know why I even get excited about players like this. Where's the late round guys at lol?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Ohhh, well don't I just look like the idiot American. That's really cool though, similar to the UEFA champions league?

Kinda yeah. It just started last season so it's not like it's something every hockey fan everywhere must know about. There's some discussion about it in the International Tournaments sub here on HF. Would've been nice to see those two go head to head, but I guess you can't have it all.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
No point in the last game vs Lugano. He had a huge opportunity alone in the slot but missed the net.
He actually plays with Robert Nilsson and Herzog( leaf prospect).

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Yes but I wonder if there is any way for Matthews to get out of that contract and go to the KHL or SEL. He is ready for it and would learn a lot more there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yes but I wonder if there is any way for Matthews to get out of that contract and go to the KHL or SEL. He is ready for it and would learn a lot more there.

I don't think Switzerland was simply chosen for the quality of hockey, but rather for the culture, which I imagine is very easy for an American kid to acclimate to. Imagine being barely 18 going to Russia. Heck, it impresses me when 18 year old Russians come here.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
No point in the last game vs Lugano. He had a huge opportunity alone in the slot but missed the net.
He actually plays with Robert Nilsson and Herzog( leaf prospect).

Herzog and Matthews are building some chemistry for next season! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad