C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
And I accept that, but you need to accept that I've heard different. Making both just as valid.

It's not the quote I've referenced but it's showing that I'm not the only one hearing this stuff.

"I remember reading that some scouts have said they would take Matthews ahead of Eichel - but it's close."
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/348umt/is_auston_matthews_considered_better_than_eichel/
]

You know, it's weird that there are a decent amount of people who believe they read something like that, but nobody seems to be able to find a source.

I'm going to go out of the limb here and say that most of this stuff is a result of poor information evaluation, misinterpreting or misremembering what was said by whom, and cognitive biases. What I mean by that - well...maybe that redditor actually read a post on HFboards where somebody said THEY remember reading scouts think matthews > eichel. No source, nothing. Then a couple of months later, this particular redditor only remembers the content, not the context. And now we have a redditor who's sure they read somewhere that scouts think Matthews is better than Eichel, when there was no source in the first place.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
You know, it's weird that there are a decent amount of people who believe they read something like that, but nobody seems to be able to find a source.

I'm going to go out of the limb here and say that most of this stuff is a result of poor information evaluation, misinterpreting or misremembering what was said by whom, and cognitive biases. What I mean by that - well...maybe that redditor actually read a post on HFboards where somebody said THEY remember reading scouts think matthews > eichel. No source, nothing. Then a couple of months later, this particular redditor only remembers the content, not the context. And now we have a redditor who's sure they read somewhere that scouts think Matthews is better than Eichel, when there was no source in the first place.

There are definitely scouts out there who preferred Matthews to Eichel. How many, who knows? But names like Bob MacKenzie have outright stated that in talking to guys in the field, for many it was very much a toss-up call. Maybe not enough to unseat Eichel as the 2nd best player in 2015, but enough that if Matthews was there the team picking 2nd would have had to have a long discussion on the two of them.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

What I find odd is that within all of that information there is scouts and NHL people suggesting Matthews would of went 2nds as much as 3rd, that the opinion on them is split, and yet you point towards reddit,

It also might help to know that there may not be a source to link to as what I'm referencing was said on the television, something in passing during the WJC. You doubt that, yet I provide a source where an NHL scout is saying that some scouts would take Matthews over Eichel, while others would take Eichel over Matthews.

At the very least it's about personal opinion as there doesn't seem to be a consensus. My opinion resides with the scouts that feel Matthews will be better and would of went 2nd, over Eichel. There is enough information available for that to be considered valid.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
What I find odd is that within all of that information there is scouts and NHL people suggesting Matthews would of went 2nds as much as 3rd, that the opinion on them is split, and yet you point towards reddit,

It also might help to know that there may not be a source to link to as what I'm referencing was said on the television, something in passing during the WJC. You doubt that, yet I provide a source where an NHL scout is saying that some scouts would take Matthews over Eichel, while others would take Eichel over Matthews.

At the very least it's about personal opinion as there doesn't seem to be a consensus. My opinion resides with the scouts that feel Matthews will be better and would of went 2nd, over Eichel. There is enough information available for that to be considered valid.

In the end people will believe whatever it is they want to believe and discard any information that doesn't fit...

I believe Matthews will be the better player and closer to McDavid than J.E. The next 3-5 years will be a blast.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
What I find odd is that within all of that information there is scouts and NHL people suggesting Matthews would of went 2nds as much as 3rd, that the opinion on them is split, and yet you point towards reddit

May I remind you the you were the one to point to that reddit post. Am I not supposed to address it?

I understand it would be hard to provide a source for something said on TV. I don't doubt there are some scouts who would rank Matthews higher than Eichel; When I first replied to your post, it was because I had an issue with this statement.

Had Matthews been eligible for the McDavid draft scouts felt he would of been ranked 2nd, over Eichel.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Eichels hype was actually reduced by McDavid. If he was in his own draft, hed be way more hyped as his closest competition is farther away from him

And I think we cant accept the possibly of 2 generational prospects in one draft. So because McDavid is one, Eichel cant be (when really he is)

If Eichel was alone up top from 2010-14 drafts hed be insanely hyped

I take Eichel over every other prospect since Crosby was drafted -including my own captain - in a world where McDavid is a year younger and not drafted yet.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I can try, it was stated on TSN during the WJC so I don't know if that would be replicated in print. I believe it was Bob MacKenzie. (I'll update if I can locate it)

That's funny, because everything I've heard indicates he's at the very least just as good as Eichel. I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with the idea he could be even better.

“I honestly believe that if he’d been born on the 15th instead of the 17th, we’d be talking about whether or not he’s going to make the Buffalo Sabres or the [Arizona] Coyotes, because I think most people said that he’d probably have gone second or third in this past draft. He’s that good.â€
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/crawford-auston-matthews-a-special-player/

"If he had been eligible, many believe he would have gone third overall, maybe second"
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rthodox-audition-to-be-no-1-in-2016-nhl-draft

"Had he turned 18 on or before Sept. 15, he would have been mentioned alongside the likes of Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel"
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...land--final-season-before-nhl-draft/32392579/

"Tabbed as the third “franchise centre†up for grabs in the last two years, Matthews has already turned heads around the globe"

“I think Auston Matthews, if he was in this year’s draft, they would’ve been talking about a three-man draft,†Coyotes GM Don Maloney said in June. “Connor McDavid obviously pushed himself to the front of the line because he’s so dynamic. To me, Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel are very, very close. He’s a terrific young man.â€
http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-makes-seamless-transition-on-and-off-the-ice-in-switzerland-1.368155

"Were he available for next June's draft in Sunrise, Florida, he would – in my view - be considered in the same category as Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel."
-Craig Button
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/button-matthews-the-clear-favourite-to-go-no-1-in-2016-draft-1.107932

"Had he been born two days earlier, there would be no debate over where Matthews would be spending his draft year. Instead, the debate would be whether the Buffalo Sabres should take Matthews or Jack Eichel after Connor McDavid with the No. 2 pick in this summer’s draft."
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...-being-no-1-pick-in-2016-nhl-draft-scouts-say

I appreciate your efforts to try and provide some evidence to back up your statements, not enough of that happens on this forum. The thing is that the quotes/links you provided don't really state anything like "Matthews would undoubtedly go #2 if he were in this draft", which is kind of what I was looking for, especially if you're going to say "scouts felt he would of been ranked 2nd, over Eichel". Most of what was stated was already known about Matthews in comparison to Eichel and McDavid and only says things like "they're in the same ballpark" or "there would be a debate about who goes where". Ultimately that doesn't really prove that Matthews is better or would be taken second, just that he's at "star" level in terms of prospects. I haven't really seen much in the way of Matthews>Eichel but I guess we'll have to see the year play out and hear more about scouts opinion's of Matthews. I'm sure the comparisons will become more prominent the closer we get to the draft.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Im not really familar with the culture over there, but I'm assuming the language barrier isnt a big deal?

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Im not really familar with the culture over there, but I'm assuming the language barrier isnt a big deal?

I actually don't know, but I have always assumed that English is the language used within the team. There's a couple of North american players and quite a few Swiss teammates have been in NA for some years. So he should be fine.

In general, you can get along in Zürich just speaking English. Most understand and speak English, it's now the first foreign language taught in school. As Zürich is quite international, there is as well a quite big population of native speakers (almost 10%).

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
I actually don't know, but I have always assumed that English is the language used within the team. There's a couple of North american players and quite a few Swiss teammates have been in NA for some years. So he should be fine.

In general, you can get along in Zürich just speaking English. Most understand and speak English, it's now the first foreign language taught in school. As Zürich is quite international, there is as well a quite big population of native speakers (almost 10%).

Pretty much has to be with a coach who doesn´t speak German;)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've visited Switzerland and Germany and never had a problem communicating with pretty much anyone in English.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
From my experience English was the easiest choice in Zürich. Everyone spoke English that I talked with, not just the staff at shops but including the locals. I also can speak German but I really didn't want to open that can of worms in Switzerland. Their dialect was weird enough that I generally couldn't understand a word of it. Thinking back, if I had just tried they would probably have changed to a more standard German dialect.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Their dialect was weird enough that I generally couldn't understand a word of it. Thinking back, if I had just tried they would probably have changed to a more standard German dialect.

:laugh: Sorry about that, we know that our dialects are quite different and hard to understand…

Looking forward to the game against Prague in the CHL!

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
:laugh: Sorry about that, we know that our dialects are quite different and hard to understand…

Looking forward to the game against Prague in the CHL!

Yeah, I think most of the "Ãœsserschwiizer" have problems to understand the guys form Valais, for example. :laugh:

Matthews is just amazing! I love him as a player and am looking forward to the next game against Ambri, even though he will probably single-handedly beat us. ;)

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
A TSN article from a few weeks ago said that the entire ZSC roster speaks English:

http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-makes-seamless-transition-on-and-off-the-ice-in-switzerland-1.368155

Thanks, interesting article! :thumbu:

Matthews is just amazing! I love him as a player and am looking forward to the next game against Ambri, even though he will probably single-handedly beat us. ;)

We'll see. At the moment ZSC is not really playing their best hockey. Especially when you take into account the talent of that team...

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Thanks for the link!

Man is he fluid on his skates, transitions real well. Effort seems to be high on every shift, which is good to see. Size, good enough speed, strong on the puck despite being real young, good vision. Kid's the real deal, this is the first time I've seen him other than snippets here and there but man is he impressive, I can see why people think he'd have been in the mix with Eichel this past draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad