C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Just to get this thread back on the topic of WHY, and not just whether he's better than his peers: I think Matthews is the best prospect in the draft, bar none.

Auston has a compelling ability to make the players around him better. It's a cop out phrase, but it's true. It used to be that his size and puck skills made him a threat, and he used it to his advantage by drawing attention to himself as the spacemaker. But he was so strong and talented that even when he was covered, it was nothing to break through defenses.

What I wanted to see this year wasn't a player who was physically better than his peers. I wanted to see whether he had the ability to outthink his opponents when they were just as big and skilled as he was. I wondered about whether he was really that gifted, or played a simpler game because he didn't have the offensive creativity or senses to do any more.

Through just a few games, he's already blown me away with his improvement. His skating is on another two tiers from where he was at last year. And what it's done is made him a much more dangerous player at both ends of the ice. With his skating, he's really begun to open up opportunities everywhere on the ice, because defenders can't just stick to him and expect to keep up anymore. Now, they have to leave him a gap so that they don't get caught, and what it's done is open up so many more passing lanes for Matthews. And he's been taking advantage of the newfound lanes to show off his playmaking and creativity on an almost shiftly basis.

Defensively he's still developing, but I have very little doubt that he'll be a true number 1 center in the NHL. With his mobility, his shot, his hands, and his feel for the game, he's without question the most complete player in the draft. If he can keep up this level of play throughout the season, there's no chance anyone will catch him.

No disrespect to Chychrun, Puljujarvi or Laine, but at this moment it's a clear cut number 1 for me. Chychrun is the closest, but with his injury concerns and position, it's hard to consider him over the established NHL-ready center. Puljujarvi currently lacks the same swagger, despite having all the physical tools. Laine has the swagger, but his game is more swashbuckling and less NHL-ready than Matthews' and I don't know if he'll ever have the same kind of all-round impact that Matthews has right now, let alone in the future.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Auston clearly belongs to the top four in this draft. But it wouldn't be the first time to see the clear cut 1st OA drop down the list. Even then, dropping on draft day doesn't mean the guy is a bust. Basically anyone of the big four could become the best player despite where they are picked. I think auston gets picked 1st OA but that the 1st OA position isn't a guarantee of him becoming the best player of the draft.

I expected Auston to have 0.7 to 0.9 PPG on NLA. It is quite surprising to me to see auston with above PPG. A very promising start to his year considering the draft.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
First he tells us that Matthews is in a tier of his own, and only then he tells us to stop comparing, because the others "have their own threads". How convenient.

Are you being serious? You guys keep bringing up other prospects in a thread about Matthews. You realize that, yes?

Go discuss how great your Finnish prospects are in their respective threads. Compare them to Matthews there.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Are you being serious? You guys keep bringing up other prospects in a thread about Matthews. You realize that, yes?

Go discuss how great your Finnish prospects are in their respective threads. Compare them to Matthews there.

When someone tell's us, that Matthews is clearly tier above the rest, that's going to make some noise. If Matthews were on a Mcdavid level, those words would be acceptable, but no.. he's not.

There's consensus that Mathews is no1, but not tier(s) above "the big four"

Are we not here to discuss and depate? As saying such claim, will cause those. Wether do you like or not. And when were talking about draftees, there's allways going to be comparing them to others.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'm serious. We shouldn't ignore the fact that ECL made a comparison himself, and then told the rest to stop making comparisons. That stunk a bit hypocritical, as in trying to get the last word in.

That being said, I believe Spade above made a nice case for Matthews. Nothing to argue there. We shall see if the consensus lasts for entire season.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
You can't take the passion out of Finland. I respect that. As a non American, neutral observer, I can definitively say that Matthews is the clear cut most dominant player in the draft right now. When Bobby Mac says "Big 4" he means that there are four guys that have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the draft. This DOES NOT mean that you can interchange the 4 because they are all the same level of talent. For example, last year had its "Big 5" of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner that were far and away the 5 best players in the draft. What that DID NOT mean was that Hanifin, Strome, and Marner were on McDavid and Eichels level. As of this moment, it's Matthews at number 1....by quite a large margin. Consensus. Does this mean that others (like the Finnish prospects) could catch up? Absolutely! But as of today, Matthews is way ahead. 30/30 teams would take Matthews number 1 if the draft was held tomorrow. That's the reality. In 6 months, we may be saying someone else (albeit I think it would be unlikely). This is just a testament to how good Matthews is. Generational. Any other draft year, the next 3 (JC, JP, PL) would be considered for number 1.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Matthews is without a doubt a future #1 star center. Not a single NHL scout would take a winger over him.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
As a Laine-fan, Matthews is number one, clearly.

He does seem to have it all. Other prospects may be better in some aspects but Matthews brings the total package. Laine needs to play exceptionally well in order to surpass Matthews, meaning around 25 goals in Liiga and allstar-ish performance in WJC.

It's like Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones and Drouin all over again.

1. Matthews
Clear gap
2.Laine
3.Chychrun
4.Puljujärvi

Could go either way basically with the 2-4.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
As a Laine-fan, Matthews is number one, clearly.

He does seem to have it all. Other prospects may be better in some aspects but Matthews brings the total package. Laine needs to play exceptionally well in order to surpass Matthews, meaning around 25 goals in Liiga and allstar-ish performance in WJC.

It's like Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones and Drouin all over again.

1. Matthews
Clear gap
2.Laine
3.Chychrun
4.Puljujärvi

Could go either way basically with the 2-4.

But where is that Monahan player who is better than the 4 people drafted ahead of him (arguably all of them)? :sarcasm:

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Zürich will play against EHC Chur in the Swiss Cup tomorrow evening at 19:15 CET. The game will be streamed on blick.ch. I will try to provide the correct link tomorrow as soon as it will be available. Not sure if it will be geoblocked or not. The opponent is EHC Chur, a team from the 2nd division. Nino Niederreiter used to play there as a teenager.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just to get this thread back on the topic of WHY, and not just whether he's better than his peers: I think Matthews is the best prospect in the draft, bar none.

Auston has a compelling ability to make the players around him better. It's a cop out phrase, but it's true. It used to be that his size and puck skills made him a threat, and he used it to his advantage by drawing attention to himself as the spacemaker. But he was so strong and talented that even when he was covered, it was nothing to break through defenses.

What I wanted to see this year wasn't a player who was physically better than his peers. I wanted to see whether he had the ability to outthink his opponents when they were just as big and skilled as he was. I wondered about whether he was really that gifted, or played a simpler game because he didn't have the offensive creativity or senses to do any more.

Through just a few games, he's already blown me away with his improvement. His skating is on another two tiers from where he was at last year. And what it's done is made him a much more dangerous player at both ends of the ice. With his skating, he's really begun to open up opportunities everywhere on the ice, because defenders can't just stick to him and expect to keep up anymore. Now, they have to leave him a gap so that they don't get caught, and what it's done is open up so many more passing lanes for Matthews. And he's been taking advantage of the newfound lanes to show off his playmaking and creativity on an almost shiftly basis.

Defensively he's still developing, but I have very little doubt that he'll be a true number 1 center in the NHL. With his mobility, his shot, his hands, and his feel for the game, he's without question the most complete player in the draft. If he can keep up this level of play throughout the season, there's no chance anyone will catch him.

No disrespect to Chychrun, Puljujarvi or Laine, but at this moment it's a clear cut number 1 for me. Chychrun is the closest, but with his injury concerns and position, it's hard to consider him over the established NHL-ready center. Puljujarvi currently lacks the same swagger, despite having all the physical tools. Laine has the swagger, but his game is more swashbuckling and less NHL-ready than Matthews' and I don't know if he'll ever have the same kind of all-round impact that Matthews has right now, let alone in the future.

Well said. You basically put my thoughts into words in a much more eloquent way than I ever could have. 100% agree on all counts.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In terms of hype / expectations, how would you think Matthews compares to former forwards who went 1st overall since Crosby (as of their draft year)?

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

As of now, I'd probably slot him right near Tavares, with the potential to reach Eichel if he ends up above a point per game.

Save for Eichel, we haven't seen a big, skilled forward prospect like Matthews in a long time.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
In terms of hype / expectations, how would you think Matthews compares to former forwards who went 1st overall since Crosby (as of their draft year)?

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

I feel like hype and expectations are slightly different. I agree with you on expectations.

For "hype", I would say McDavid first, then the rest of the Canadians, then Yakupov, then Kane, then Matthews.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

As of now, I'd probably slot him right near Tavares, with the potential to reach Eichel if he ends up above a point per game.

Save for Eichel, we haven't seen a big, skilled forward prospect like Matthews in a long time.

Don't understand why people are still as of today underrating Patrick Kane. The guy is a true hockey player and most importantly, he the most clutch player in the league right now. Has already 3 cup rings and a lawsuit.

Seriously, I would take Kane ahead of Stankos any freaking day of the week. Stamkos is not a winner, Kane is. And also, Eichel went 2nd overall, 1st if you're a Sabres fan.

Ok sorry I read it too fast. We're talking about hype and expectations. Anyhow, my point is still there.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

I'd swap Eichel and Tavares but otherwise good list.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

I think Tavares is a good comparable production wise. That's what I expect out of him.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
But where is that Monahan player who is better than the 4 people drafted ahead of him (arguably all of them)? :sarcasm:

Idk if he will be better but Kieffer Bellows looks like a goal scoring machine, and he's already got NHL size.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Don't understand why people are still as of today underrating Patrick Kane. The guy is a true hockey player and most importantly, he the most clutch player in the league right now. Has already 3 cup rings and a lawsuit.

Seriously, I would take Kane ahead of Stankos any freaking day of the week. Stamkos is not a winner, Kane is. And also, Eichel went 2nd overall, 1st if you're a Sabres fan.

Ok sorry I read it too fast. We're talking about hype and expectations. Anyhow, my point is still there.

Yea agree he's underrated. But at the time of his draft I believe many had him below Turris.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

McDavid
Eichel
Tavares
Matthews
Stamkos
MacKinnon
Hall
RNH
Kane
Yakupov

This seems about right, although i would have smaller difference between Matthews, Stamkos and MacKinnon than the one between Tavares and Matthews.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm serious. We shouldn't ignore the fact that ECL made a comparison himself, and then told the rest to stop making comparisons. That stunk a bit hypocritical, as in trying to get the last word in.

That being said, I believe Spade above made a nice case for Matthews. Nothing to argue there. We shall see if the consensus lasts for entire season.

You're kidding, right? It was brought up because it kept on being brought up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You can't take the passion out of Finland. I respect that. As a non American, neutral observer, I can definitively say that Matthews is the clear cut most dominant player in the draft right now. When Bobby Mac says "Big 4" he means that there are four guys that have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the draft. This DOES NOT mean that you can interchange the 4 because they are all the same level of talent. For example, last year had its "Big 5" of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Marner that were far and away the 5 best players in the draft. What that DID NOT mean was that Hanifin, Strome, and Marner were on McDavid and Eichels level. As of this moment, it's Matthews at number 1....by quite a large margin. Consensus. Does this mean that others (like the Finnish prospects) could catch up? Absolutely! But as of today, Matthews is way ahead. 30/30 teams would take Matthews number 1 if the draft was held tomorrow. That's the reality. In 6 months, we may be saying someone else (albeit I think it would be unlikely). This is just a testament to how good Matthews is. Generational. Any other draft year, the next 3 (JC, JP, PL) would be considered for number 1.

Thank you. This is a great post and is 100% accurate.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I feel like hype and expectations are slightly different. I agree with you on expectations.

For "hype", I would say McDavid first, then the rest of the Canadians, then Yakupov, then Kane, then Matthews.

No way would RNH or Kane be above Matthews in terms of pure hype. Would say Matthews is above Stamkos in terms of pure pre-draft hype, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad