Confirmed Trade: [BUF/VGK] Jack Eichel, c.'23 3rd for Alex Tuch, Peyton Krebs, c.'22 1st (Top10 protected), c.'23 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
what's the feeling on Krebs? he hasn't looked like much in the games i've watched. what does he project as?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The trade honestly seems fine, why are so many people taking a dump on it? I think BUF did well. It's kind of interesting to watch the evolution of the Knights from an expansion team with a bunch of underrated players battling for each other and a lot of futures, to gutting their futures and prospect pool and becoming an older star oriented team. I guess they are in ultra win now but I could see this going the way of the Sharks.

Will be interesting to watch. How long until he's available?

No doubt.. Pretty good return for a player that has no guarantees on health. It was rumored he would be back after the Olympic break this morning.

Reactions: North Cole

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
How much more return did you think the Sabres would get for an injured disgruntled player at $10M/yr? I'm surprised they made out as well as they did.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Buffalo made out like bandits in this trade. This will be like the erik Karlsson trade 2.0.

1) Buffalo was brutal WITH eichel; yet performs way better without him. Huge red flag in my opinion.. especially with rumors swirling that Eichel is a drama queen

2) losing Tuch will hurt vegas more than they think; depth guys like that help you win. The rest of the return in Krebs + picks is very solid.

3) eichel is a phenomenal talent, but he'll never be the same after the surgery.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, thats fine. I'll PM you in a few years to say I told you so.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have not and would not ever lived in Rochester. I have visited before and it is a dump. Its not just me, see the article below.

Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo all rank among the worst U.S. cities to live in

"About one in three Rochester residents live in poverty, a higher poverty rate than in all but 14 other U.S. cities."

Rochester, like plenty of US cities, are still dealing with the affects of redlining.

And visiting a place and living there are two different things entirely.

And we can throw articles around for a long time...

Why Rochester, New York Is The Best Small City in America for Vegans

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wow… Buffalo got taken behind the shed on that
Obviously the futures part (Krebs and the 1st) better pan out.

Under rated part of the trade is the 2022 1st. Vegas is out of a playoff spot right now. Not even in a wild card position. In the "weak" Pacific Division, Edmonton and Calgary are looking very good. Lots of competition for the last spot.

Buffalo now have 3 1sts in a strong 2022 draft.

Reactions: Fatass

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
We had Buffalo fans in our forums saying that, pretty often tb, granted mctavish was the 3rd overall.

def saw

drysdale + mctavish + 1st +
i said rational. The sabres were never getting 3 blue chips for eichel when you factor in injury and cap hit. With 8 teams bidding before all the details maybe they get a better offer. Once the news came out a lot of teams wanted to get in the talks, but their doctors said NO to ADR they had no choice but to be out. The surgery shrunk the market and is still a big risk for Vegas now.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If Eichel gets his surgery and it's a success and he comes back the same player he was before the ailment it's a clear win for Vegas but there's risk. Not sure why all the hand wringing over the assets exchanged due to those circumstances. The bigger shame is it took so long.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If people are getting hung up on Top 10 protection, then they are trying to hard. I'm more worried about it being pick #31. Awesome return for the Sabres. Woot !!!!
Awesome return? You were asking for WAY more in the summer … why the change of opinion?

Reactions: tlk

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Because some Buffalo fans were demanding guys like byfield/raymond/zegras/laf ++

or in wild case
Boldy + Rossi + dumba + 1st

Okay, but at some point I think people need to separate what fans want from reality. Judging the actual finalized trade against some monopoly money HF discussions doesn't make sense to me. Not all of those guys you named seem to be the same level anyways and I don't see why BUF would want Dumba.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Obviously the futures part (Krebs and the 1st) better pan out.

Under rated part of the trade is the 2022 1st. Vegas is out of a playoff spot right now. Not even in a wild card position. In the "weak" Pacific Division, Edmonton and Calgary are looking very good. Lots of competition for the last spot.

Buffalo now have 3 1sts in a strong 2022 draft.

Pick is top 10 protected, but if it winds up there (slim chance, imo), then all of the picks just slide 1 year later without protection. So Buffalo would get Vegas' 2023 1st and 2024 2nd while giving up its 2024 3rd.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Don't see how the Sabres could have gotten more than this for an injured Eichel. Pretty mediocre return which most ppl saw coming.

Yeah Buffalo basically did the best they could imo. The only thing in retrospect I think was a major mistake was not letting him get the surgery he wanted and forcing them to dump him for whatever they could. However I'm not an expert on the risks involved there.

You can make the case Buffalo could have done a three way deal if Calgary was dangling Tkachuk but he wasn't gonna stay in Buffalo long term so he didn't make sense as an acquisition target.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So all of the whining by Sabre fans about other teams trade proposals and they end up less than those proposals.
Maybe this will work for the Sabres. Kinda like George Costanza doing the opposite of his natural instinct.

member 334057

Amazing how so many posters said the Sabres were asking for far too much wanting 4 1st round equivalents for Jack, and are now saying receiving 3 1st round equivalents and a 2nd for Jack and a 3rd is not enough. Where is the middle ground then?

This is a decent return for an injured star who was never going to play for the franchise again. Everyone knew the return would be quantity for quality. A lot of the most reasonable offers had similar pieces moving (Roster player, high end prospect, picks). Also there don't seem to be any conditions tied to Jack's future health, games played etc which is a win for Buffalo.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As a neutral fan, I think Vegas is making a huge mistake. They've taken a really good team with a lot of energy and drive and traded most of it away to end up with a team of high salaries and aging players. Eichel doesn't necessarily fit the aging part, but if the surgery has any complications, he might seem like an older player.

Given all the moves they've made since they came into the league their first season, I don't think they have what it takes now to win a cup before their first tear down and rebuild. Their window is closed.

I think the Sabres didn't get everything they probably wanted, but a clean sheet from the Eichel situation is probably the biggest win of the whole thing, so I like that it is over for them and they can move forward with what looks like a young and exciting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad