Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I've never thought that much of McLeod. I think that Savoie has higher potential.

On the other hand, if Oilers are in win-now mode and they're aiming for next season in particular, then I don't understand the reasoning behind this deal.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The craziest thing about this whole sequence is Buffalo just bought out Jeff Skinner. And Edmonton signed him.

So it works out to Skinner, Savoie, burning a boat load of cash for McLeod and Tullio.

Like at least don’t give away Savoie to the team that also just picked up your dumpster trash.

Especially weird since ostensibly, the Skinner buyout is primarily to make an extra roster spot for at least one of the many "small skilled winger prospects" on the team.

I don't think Savoie necessarily had the inside track on that...but he's up there in terms of "upside" for the gig.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I've never thought that much of McLeod. I think that Savoie has higher potential.

On the other hand, if Oilers are in win-now mode and they're aiming for next season in particular, then I don't understand the reasoning behind this deal.
I mean, it's been well documented that the Oilers needed to shed salary.

Ditching McLeod made the most sense after how he performed, and with the team resigning Henrique.

It's just that most Oiler fans thought maybe we could squeeze a 3rd round pick out of a team for him.

As someone previously pointed out, if this was a proposal on the mains it would have been locked within minutes.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton

They added two FAs Henrique and Arvidsson who are both better than McLeod. They traded McLeod because they were over the cap. Not hard to understand.

Reactions: Chainshot

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

If you don't understand, take a look at CapFriendly before it shuts down

But also, imagine trading Brett Kulak for a 1st round pick next year and saying you don't understand the reasoning. The reasoning is that the Oilers got strong value for an inferior asset.

Another scenario is that Savoie is flipped at the TDL and has the value of a 1st round pick. McLeod wouldn't have that same TDL value

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I think the Oilers are planning for more than just winning next season. By all accounts it sounds like Draisaitl and McDavid are going to re-sign long term. This trade sets the Oilers up for potentially the next 3-4 years beyond this. There's also a very real chance that Savoie is NHL ready and if Kane is expected to be out for a long time to start the year then there is a potential opening for him if they run McDavid-Drai-Nuge-Henrique down the middle. This is the first time in the McDavid era that they've have the winger options to support something like that.

McLeod obviously didn't move the needle for them in either of the past 2 playoffs. He was going to be the 4th line centre this year making 2.1M. This trade allows them, if they so choose, to send Perry+Josh Brown to the AHL, sign Broberg and Holloway to their QO's, and get under the cap with a 21 man roster without needing Kane to go on LTIR and without needing to trade Cody Ceci. If Savoie was able to impress and make the team Derek Ryan could be sent down.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you did read the thread, most of us are pretty pissed about this.

There are 2 trains of thought to defend this trade--In my opinion

1) Sabres needed an nhl ready player today and McLeod is that, He is a solid 3rd liner when called upon. Good role player. Since the 2020 NHL draft the sabres have drafted 21 players in the first 100 picks and looking at the FWD picks? They have a lot of prospects coming

2) Concern about his size at the nhl level.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Henrique is a better "win now" player than McLeod, so they signed Henrique but needed to shed cap.

So they moved out McLeod but then gained a recent top 10 pick prospect in exchange.

Savoie might actually even play some games up with the big club at some point, it just depends.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Henrique is a better "win now" player than McLeod, so they signed Henrique but needed to shed cap.

So they moved out McLeod but then gained a recent top 10 pick prospect in exchange.

Savoie might actually even play some games up with the big club at some point, it just depends.
Interesting to see who is first call up if a top 6 guy is hurt. Savoie or Bourgault? (Feels like that question has been asked around the oil boards)

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Some idiot is talking about McLeod being better then past his prime Henrique. Past his prime had 24 goals last year as a 33 year old NHL veteran pro. McLeod had a career high 30 pts. One was involved in critical moments in the playoffs the other was getting scratched in the playoffs.

I know which one I’d rather on my team.
This isn’t necessarily directed at you specifically because it seems to be a common theme in Oiler fan posts.

Isn’t scoring 3 goals in the final 5 SC final games basically the definition of showing up in critical moments? Especially for a defensively minded player with zero PP time.

Not to say he couldn’t have sucked at other times. It just seems to be weirdly ignored when talking about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: NitroF

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Savoie has WAY higher potential. May make the oilers as early as this year. If not then the year after and probably be a Calder trophy candidate

Steal for the oilers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The craziest thing about this whole sequence is Buffalo just bought out Jeff Skinner. And Edmonton signed him.

So it works out to Skinner, Savoie, burning a boat load of cash for McLeod and Tullio.

Like at least don’t give away Savoie to the team that also just picked up your dumpster trash.
Well atleast they didn’t give him away.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I liked Mcleod - he is a utility guy for the regular season. He will help the Sabres immediately and give you some depth.

Savoie appears to have more upside but obviously there is risk with his actual
potential

It feels doom and gloom for Sabres fans but I think it will semi work out.

And yeah, I hope Savoie kills it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad