Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Yeah the leafs did these overpays with our core guys and it hasnt really worked for us yet.

The sabres though have Thompson about 2.5M underpaid and Cozens likely another 2M underpaid, so Dahlin at 1-2M overpaid shouldn't hurt them
You are using old contracts. Dahlin is negotiating under new projected salary cap increases, inflating the contract value. So it is more in line with Fox etc.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Anyone else of a certain age see people comment on 11 million being too much and realize 25 years ago there were players making more when revenues were 1/8th what they are today?
It's time for players to stop being nice and push for more $. Bobby Holik 21 years ago got 9 million per...
I get there's a "Cap" but still;..
If it weren't for the cap, COVID would have had the league down to about twenty teams.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Somewhere Cale Makar is banging his head against a wall.

Not really. As long as he doesn't fall off in the next three years he's positioned to get around 8 x $15M on his next deal.

There was not a single team playing in a university arena...
As opposed to the Coyotes' arena situation 25 years ago, which was so much better...

Coyotes.jpg

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You are using old contracts. Dahlin is negotiating under new projected salary cap increases, inflating the contract value. So it is more in line with Fox etc.
Ehh not really. Fox's contract doesn't even inflate $250K under the current cap.

BUT, there was way more uncertainty in 2021 when Fox was negotiating. With Dahlin it's pretty much guaranteed that we're getting 5% increases for the next several years.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Definitely would take Dahlin at that price, but he took every penny he could get.

As he should, i suppose
I disagree. There were a lot of rumors that Dahlin was only willing to sign for 4 or 5 years max, and wanted $10.5 - $11 million a year. Now that would be taking every penny he could get.

I was actually disappointed in Dahlin when I read that. I didn’t think he was the type to try and squeeze the team for every penny by going shorter term, high AAV deals.

And thankfully he wasn’t!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Non top 5D in the league should not be making 11M

Makar, Fox, McAvoy, all are a lot under 11M and are better then him, but they signed under lower cap.

Dahlin ceiling is lower than Malar and Fox but probably better than McAvoy

He still needs to improve to be worth 11M
No one should ever make more than Bobby Orr. :sarcasm:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yeah poor guy only making $9M a year.

Not to mention he'll be getting an 8 year contract after this (If he wants it) at a much higher cap. Dahlin probably not getting another 8 year deal after this.

End of the day, this likely looks like:

Dahlin 2nd and 3rd contract = $106M over 11 years.

Makar 2nd and 3rd contract = $166 - 174M over 14 years. ($14M - $15M on his next deal)

Looks like a Makar win to me.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not yet, but it's only a matter of time.

But here's my question to you, is there a team with a better defenceman duo for the next decade? I think they'll both be Top 15 defencemen in the league within the next couple years.
Power and Dahlin playing 25-30 minutes per game is something pretty special. Each will anchor a pairing.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
To me, the initial sticker shock was "Wow, that is a LOT." Then I considered that this deal bought 3-4 years of Dahlins' free agency? There's a steep price for that and the Sabres were clearly willing to pay it.

Overall, esp. if the cap jumps as expected, this looks to me like a team locking in a young, proven true #1 D for max term and felt the price was worth it.

Edit; As pointed out below, 7 years. I'm going with it's Monday morning as my excuse.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Not worth 11M yet but since its full 8 year term the cap will grow, and his play should be top 3 to 5D yearly so cap% wise won't be that bad as he looks to lead the sabres to contention

Thompson and Cozens on great underpays, so a bit of an overpay for Dahlin is fine.

Wonder what Powers gets if he puts 50ish pts this year
Its not an overpay but you know who is? Auston Matthews big time.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
To me, the initial sticker shock was "Wow, that is a LOT." Then I considered that this deal bought 3-4 years of Dahlins' free agency? There's a steep price for that and the Sabres were clearly willing to pay it.

Overall, esp. if the cap jumps as expected, this looks to me like a team locking in a young, proven true #1 D for max term and felt the price was worth it.

It bought 7 years of free agency

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Bobby Holik 21 years ago got 9 million per...
I get there's a "Cap" but still;..
Uuuh..."i get there is a cap, BUT...."

Why anyone actuall ever would even care in forums, how much someone earns, if there was no cap?

Cap is the all that makes it matter. But ok, in ypu nhl team, best players would earn 20M and....tjey would have one line roster. Maybe a goaltender in addition.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If Power gets 9 that’s 20 per for those two. Are there any other teams with two D taking 20 on their cap?

This probably wont be all that uncommon in 5 years. After a lengthy cap freeze you're about to see the cap finally rocket forward and teams and agents are preparing accordingly.

Down the line you're looking at the likes of Colorado, (Makar - Toews) Columbus, (Werenski - Jiricek) Detroit, (Seider - Edvinsson) and New Jersey (Hughes - Hamilton/Nemec) that could have two very highly paid defensemen. Also Anaheim if Drysdale can get back on track and Mintyukov continues on his current development path.

Right now NYR is paying $17.5M for two D and that's with Trouba being in his fifth contract year. Somewhat similar situation in OTT, paying $16M+ for Chabot and Sanderson with Chabot being signed 4 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad