Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Well Sanderson isn't even better than Powers so not sure why your comparing him to Dahlin

The Sens overpaid Sanderson 1-2M similar to Dahlin at full term.

Both are deals players can grow into with continued development

Difference is Dahlin is a tier higher than Sanderson so his deal being higher pre-potential is correctly going to be higher
Idk .. I would probably take Sanderson over Power right now. I think Owen has the higher ceiling but right now he is very bad in his own zone. Has a lot of work to do.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Agreed. And there is no guarantee the cap will go up. Stock market could crash at any time.

Revenue is up roughly $900M since 18-19 and the cap has barely increased. Soooo yeah. Doubt a market crash would hurt it considering revenue still increased in the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This seems inline with expectations given it's mostly UFA years being bought. 12.5% of the cap in 2024 is a little more than Fox, Makar, Heiskanen; less than Karlsson and Doughty.

I wouldn't be surprised if out of all those players his first 14 seasons are a small % of cap.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That seems more like a UFA contract, Buffalo didn’t get any kind of deal on that

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Never said that

Categorically false. Draft spot and handing out huge franchise contracts are definitely linked together. The higher you go in the draft, the more likely you’ll be getting a bigger contract.

Nope. Let me know when that happens. I’ll wait.

2010: Taylor Hall - No franchise contract.
2011: RNH - No franchise contract.
2012: Nail Yakupov - LOL
2013: Nathan MacKinnon - No franchise contract until year 11.
2014: Aaron Ekblad - No franchise contract
2015: Connor McDavid - Franchise contract, of course.
2016: Auston Matthews - He's a franchise player and certainly has had the cap hit of one. Term doesn't dictate franchise but I'd definitely count him.
2017: Nico Hischier - No franchise contract.
2018: Rasmus Dahlin - Franchise contract.
2019: Jack Hughes - No franchise contract.

That's going off the last 10 drafts with players off ELCs. 40% not exactly a good rate to support your point.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
2016: Auston Matthews - He's a franchise player and certainly has had the cap hit of one. Term doesn't dictate franchise but I'd definitely count him.

That's going off the last 10 drafts with players off ELCs. 40% not exactly a good rate to support your point.

You are repeatedly arguing against things no one said. I have said multiple times being a first overall isn’t a guarantee you get a franchise contract. I said it makes you more likely. 40 percent (which isn’t even true as you are discounting players who have or will get franchise contracts for some reason) of a group is large relative to other groups. Not very hard to understand

This is such an uninteresting conversation

By the time Dahlin is 25 he will be the second best player in the world.
It’s crazy that he is only 23

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Should be under 10.

Not a chance. You're either underrating Dahlin or not fully understanding/appreciating the cap landscape/circumstances around this contract. He was one of the best defensemen in the NHL last season at age 22, and this contract buys 7 UFA years and his entire prime (ages 24-31), and we're sitting on the doorstep of an expected large leap in the cap ceiling after years of stagnation due to Covid. Every statistical-based model for projecting contracts that I saw had him over $10m on a max term deal.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It's a cap bet play. 11 million seems insane this year, but kicks in next year when the cap is at 88m.

If the cap rises 3 percent by year, by the end of the contract, it would be like an 8.5m contract this year, which is reasonable

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You are repeatedly arguing against things no one said. I have said multiple times being a first overall isn’t a guarantee you get a franchise contract. I said it makes you more likely. You are again arguing against something literally no one has said.

This is such an uninteresting conversation

It’s crazy that he is only 23
No, you just pretended that because they're 1st overall picks that other teams wouldn't have two D paid in the same ball park going forward lol.

It's so uninteresting that you keep making multi-paragraph replies.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

What is the definition of “franchise contract”?

Genuinely curious. Because Hall, RNH, Ekblad, Hischier, and Hughes all signed 7-8 deals coming off their ELC.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
What is the definition of “franchise contract”?

Genuinely curious. Because Hall, RNH, Ekblad, Hischier, and Hughes all signed 7-8 deals coming off their ELC.

By term you may consider it franchise, but not by price.

Though for Hughes specifically, he's absolutely worthy of a franchise contract and NJD got a steal.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lol. 7 out of 8 years are UFA. This is Dahlin's 3rd contract, not his 2nd like Fox or Makar.
Still seems like the price you pay in free agency, not the price for a player who’s been on your team his entire career

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think Sanderson got paid based on potential, but I also think he has a very solid chance at living up to the likes of other defenceman getting paid in that range.

This contract on the other hand, is more than almost everyone else. Dahlin basically has to become the best defenceman in the NHL to live up to it. I don't think that's impossible but I think it's less likely than Sanderson being worth 8.

That said, this may have just set the bar for the next wave of top-10 defenceman, so it may not look as high in a few years. Time will tell.

Reactions: andora

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That seems more like a UFA contract, Buffalo didn’t get any kind of deal on that
Why should they get a deal? Team has 7 years of RFA. Dahlin did his 3 year ELC then is now going into year 3 of his second contract. Only has 1 year of RFA left.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Makar's 2-3M underpay in this contract was huge for the cup win.
Sabres may have that with Thompson but definitely not Dahlin. This contract is the result of Dahlin’s bridge deal.
I think Sanderson got paid based on potential, but I also think he has a very solid chance at living up to the likes of other defenceman getting paid in that range.

This contract on the other hand, is more than almost everyone else. Dahlin basically has to become the best defenceman in the NHL to live up to it. I don't think that's impossible but I think it's less likely than Sanderson being worth 8.

That said, this may have just set the bar for the next wave of top-10 defenceman, so it may not look as high in a few years. Time will tell.
That’s the standard for star players who signed the most recently. The contract buys 7 UFA years, so there isn’t many to compare it to.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Can't exactly compare a contract with 7 UFA years to one with 3 UFA years.

Or a player that had 73 points in 78 games when he signed an extension at 23 and a guy that had 32 points in 77 games signing an extension at 21.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad