Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Prefer makar at 9m

I mean yeah -- who wouldn't?

But that's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Makar was coming off of his ELC and therefore Colorado didn't buy as many of the more expensive UFA years. Dahlin's contract buys 7 of the more expensive UFA years.

If Makar did similar to Dahlin -- take a bridge before the 8 year deal -- Makar is getting $11+ M AAV.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And I think most Sabres fans will be very happy with it being market rate for the first bit of the deal -- especially given Tage's and Cozens' cut-rate deals.
I'm not so sure it's market rate. He's a very good all around defensemen but I don't think he's on the level of Makar. I think it should be under 10 mil per, THAT would be a good deal for you guys.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sanderson really f***ed things up for everybody.

But with the way the cap is set to inflate, this should still turn out well.
Wdym Sanderson? The standard of these 9+m dollar mega contracts for young defensemen, whether deserved or not, started with Seth Jones.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm not so sure it's market rate. He's a very good all around defensemen but I don't think he's on the level of Makar.

Maybe he's not on the same level.......but again, his starting point was NEVER Makar's deal given the drastically different number of UFA years that the contracts were eating up.

If Makar were to sign a deal right now, he's probably getting $11-12M AAV. That Dahlin gets $11M AAV flat feels right in that context.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe he's not on the same level.......but again, his starting point was NEVER Makar's deal given the drastically different number of UFA years that the contracts were eating up.

If Makar were to sign a deal right now, he's probably getting $11-12M AAV. That Dahlin gets $11M AAV flat feels right in that context.
I'll put it this way, I'd rather have Makar at 11 mil per than Dahlin at 9.5 mil per. I think Makar is decidedly better. Again Dahlin is a very good player, has a ton of talent, but I think he's slightly overpaid for what he brings. I get your point about the bridge deal and all but still...

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Big boy contract for a defenseman who really helps Buffalo. Absolutely deserved. I think of Dahlin as the backbone of not only the Sabres powerplay, but their entire offense. He's going to get an 80+ point season, and by god he'll do it.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
No, pretending that teams who don't have two #1 overall defensemen won't soon be paying two defensemen ~$20M is what's silly.

Never said that

That's kinda the point here. Where they were drafted doesn't mean shit.

Categorically false. Draft spot and handing out huge franchise contracts are definitely linked together. The higher you go in the draft, the more likely you’ll be getting a bigger contract.

There are 3-5 teams that'll be doing this soon, and they didn't pick their guys at 1st.

Nope. Let me know when that happens. I’ll wait.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sounds like the argument some made when we extended Tage and Cozens. Those turned out pretty gosh-darned well.

This contract will be a steal by years 6-8. Maybe even sooner.

I just don't see Thomson scoring like McDavid ever happening again. Not saying he isn't elite and won't score over PPG but just that streak he had in Buffalo is a significant outlier and it inflated a lot of stats. When Thomson slowed down, so did Dahlin funny enough.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
I promise you a relatively unproven defensemen getting 8 x $8M pushes up the market for proven #1D.
Except it didn't. Nurse did. If he got more than nurse you'd have an argument, which you don't..

Rasmus is in a position to ask for 11 million and deserve it.. his market is his alone. No other contract in the NHL was going to dictate his deal. If anything he's setting the market.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I just don't see Thomson scoring like McDavid ever happening again. Not saying he isn't elite and won't score over PPG but just that streak he had in Buffalo is a significant outlier and it inflated a lot of stats. When Thomson slowed down, so did Dahlin funny enough.
It’s actually more like, once Dahlin got injured and played through it his stats slowed down and so did his and the whole teams play. Only to be slightly reinvigorated when Levi started to play.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Prefer makar at 9m

Makar signed that deal coming off his ELC, and it's only 6 years long. That contract only buys 3 (or maybe 4?) UFA years, and he'll be negotiating for his next deal at age 27-28. Dahlin's contract is 8 years, 7 of them UFA seasons, and he won't be due for a new deal until he's 32.

Makar's deal is nice, but so is Dahlin's. The value is in having him locked down for essentially his entire prime before the cap starts rising.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Both players only saw their pace dip when they were playing through injuries. Dahlin especially probably would've been better off sitting for a few weeks to get healthy, but the team was trying to push for the playoffs.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Thompson slowed down once he had minor back and wrist injuries to play through.

Dahlin's production fell off a cliff after getting injured in late February. He probably shouldn't have played again until April. But he gutted it out and played through March and tanked his stats in the process.

He got injured 2/24 against Florida. At that time he had 62 points in 56 games played (2nd in the league in points for a defenseman) and was a +23 (tied for 11th). He was out the next 3 games and came back on March 4th. In March he put up 0 goals, 4 assists and -16 in 14 games played.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

Both Thompson and Dahlin were injured, and both were playing through it during the last stretch.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Anybody even hinting that they think this is an overpay has no understanding of the NHL economy.

Fair value today if not a slight underpay, and a steal as soon as the cap goes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad