Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] D Rasmus Dahlin signs extension with the Sabres (8 years, $11M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Any other teams with two first overalls on defense? It’s a unique situation

Ehh, I don't think this is really the argument to make. They've got two really good defensemen. There's a handful of other teams that have two really good defensemen who are also gonna make a shit ton of money.

The whole $20M argument is just another manifestation of a poster ignoring that the cap goes up and numbers that used to look big aren't so big anymore.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Man that Sanderson 8M for 8 year contract looks even better now seeing that Buffalo had to overpay big time on Dahlin 😂 I'm sorry but in what reality is Rasmus Dahlin worth $11 million???

Yikes. At least have some awareness of other teams in your division. Even if we discount the UFA vs RFA distinction (which we should absolutely not), Sanderson has 1 year in the NHL compared to 5 for Dahlin. There is inherently more risk for Sanderson. The Sens are taking a gamble and are trying to lock him up for below market price if he continues to develop as expected. But projections are just that.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Ehh, I don't think this is really the argument to make. They've got two really good defensemen. There's a handful of other teams that have two really good defensemen who are also gonna make a shit ton of money.

I disagree. I think it’s a unique situation, and comes directly from having two first overall picks on defense. When you’re talking about 20 million dollars across two players, you’re talking about two franchise level players. The reason there isn’t a comparable across the league is because it’s a rare situation.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I disagree. I think it’s a unique situation, and comes directly from having two first overall picks on defense. When you’re talking about 20 million dollars across two players, you’re talking about two franchise level players. The reason there isn’t a comparable across the league is because it’s a rare situation.
Being a 1st overall pick doesn't make you a franchise player and not being a first overall pick doesn't not make you a franchise player.

And there are absolutely comparables. New Jersey and Detroit drafted Hughes (4th) Nemec (2nd) Seider (6th) and Edvinsson. (6th) One of those is already a proven franchise player and with the way all of them are developing, they're probably all coming with very high price tags.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that paying them $20M isn't an issue. I'm just saying I don't think "They're both 1st overall picks" is the right rebuttal. Lafreniere and Slafkovsky are also 1st overall picks lol.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dahlin is a superstar and he is an '00 birth, meaning this will cover ages 24-32.

I don't see why are people acting like this is bad or whatever. Getting him locked in for his prime is a great thing. If he hit UFA at age 26 or 27, it's not out of the realm of possibility he could command $15 million depending on where he goes from here and what happens with the cap.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Being a 1st overall pick doesn't make you a franchise player and not being a first overall pick doesn't not make you a franchise player.

And there are absolutely comparables. New Jersey and Detroit drafted Hughes (4th) Nemec (2nd) Seider (6th) and Edvinsson. (6th) One of those is already a proven franchise player and with the way all of them are developing, they're probably all coming with very high price tags.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea that paying them $20M isn't an issue. I'm just saying I don't think "They're both 1st overall picks" is the right rebuttal. Lafreniere and Slafkovsky are also 1st overall picks lol.
Who?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I think you’re taking my post way too literal or not following my point. I said this is a unique situation because Buffalo had two first overall picks on defense, not that is the only way to get into this situation. Or that is the only way to get franchise level defensmen. That is how BUFFALO got into this rare situation. I don’t see what there is to argue with that. It is extremely rare and that’s how Buffalo did it.

You pointing to other examples of taking two picks really high in a draft is my exact point. If all those other players on NJ and DET get huge franchise contracts (and I’m sorry, but that is definitely a “if”) then they will be in that situation too. I’m not sure if all four of those players are going to get 9-11 million dollar contracts though (which are rare).

Someone asked if there is an example of two defensmen making 20 million. I said no because it would be a very unique situation to have two franchise level defensmen. Because it is. Buffalo got that by having two first overalls. Which is rare.

Not sure what you’re arguing with

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

This answer is obvious to anybody not ignorant enough to believe Alex Tuch is a better player than Dylan Larkin. :thumbu:

I think you’re taking my post way too literal or not following my point. I said this is a unique situation because Buffalo had two first overall picks on defense, not that is the only way to get into this situation. Or that is the only way to get franchise level defensmen. That is how BUFFALO got into this rare situation. I don’t see what there is to argue with that. It is extremely rare and that’s how Buffalo did it.

You pointing to other examples of taking two picks really high in a draft is my exact point. If all those other players on NJ and DET get huge franchise contracts (and I’m sorry, but that is definitely a “if”) then they will be in that situation too. I’m not sure if all four of those players are going to get 9-11 million dollar contracts though (which are rare).

Someone asked if there is an example of two defensmen making 20 million. I said no because it would be a very unique situation to have two franchise level defensmen. Because it is. Buffalo got that by having two first overalls. Which is rare.

Not sure what you’re arguing with

There's no example because the cap has been stuck at ~$80M since 2018 lol. It's about to rocket up over the next five years, which is probably why you find 3-4 teams in this scenario soon. Not because they were 1st overall picks.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This answer is obvious to anybody not ignorant enough to believe Alex Tuch is a better player than Dylan Larkin. :thumbu:

There's no example because the cap has been stuck at ~80M since 2018 lol. It's about to rocket up over the next five years, which is probably why you find 3-4 teams in this scenario soon. Not because they were 1st overall picks.

I’m sure Buffalo handing out two huge contracts to defensemen should Power sign long term has nothing to do with them being first overall picks. Totally unrelated. Totally ignoring that franchise players generally come at the very top of the draft

Just like I’m sure if Seider and Edvinsson get two huge contracts, I’m sure it’s totally unrelated they were top draft picks.

And I’m sure the fact Dahlin and Power are better than Seider and Edvinsson and more likely to have bigger contracts have totally nothing to do with the fact they were better prospects that went higher in the draft.

Yup, all unrelated. Just a weird coincidence that buffalo has two franchise defensemen that are likely to get two franchise level contracts after taking two defensemen first overall (the higher you draft a player, the more likely they are to be a franchise player).

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I’m sure Buffalo handing out two huge contracts to defensemen should Power sign long term has nothing to do with them being first overall picks. Totally unrelated. Totally ignoring that franchise players generally come at the very top of the draft

Just like I’m sure if Seider and Edvinsson get two huge contracts, I’m sure it’s totally unrelated they were top draft picks.

And I’m sure the fact Dahlin and Power are better than Seider and Edvinsson and more likely to have bigger contracts have totally nothing to do with the fact they were better prospects that went higher in the draft.

Yup, all unrelated. Just a weird coincidence that buffalo has two franchise defensemen that are likely to get two franchise level contracts after taking two defensemen first overall (the higher you draft a player, the more likely they are to be a franchise player).

I look forward to Lafreniere and Slafkovsky's franchise player contracts.

Since draft position is what really matters here. Not performance. :laugh:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I look forward to Lafreniere and Slafkovsky's franchise player contracts.

Since draft position is what really matters here. :laugh:

You’re usually a good poster, not sure why you are using so many straw man arguments.

I never said the only way to get franchise level players is to take them at the top of the draft. Or that taking players at the top of the draft guarantees you one. Why are you being so weirdly dishonest? You know, you don’t have to make up stuff to argue with on the internet, there’s other things you could do?

I just said the higher you take a player, the higher chance they are to be a franchise player. Which is true.

And I just said this contract situation would be unique. Which is true.

And i said Buffalo got there because they drafted two defnensmen first overall. Which so true.

And I explained taking two defensemen first overall is rare. Which is true.

Pretending those things aren’t related is so silly.

I’m sure Detroit will be signing all their franchise defensemen to 10+ million dollar contracts soon enough. Totally going to happen

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You’re usually a good poster, not sure why you are using so many straw man arguments.

I never said the only way to get franchise level players is to take them at the top of the draft. Or that taking players at the top of the draft guarantees you one. Why are you being so weirdly dishonest? You know, you don’t have to make up stuff to argue with on the internet, there’s other things you could do?

I just said the higher you take a player, the higher chance they are to be a franchise player. Which is true.

And I just said this contract situation would be unique. Which is true.

And i said Buffalo got there because they drafted two defnensmen first overall. Which so true.

And I explained taking two defensemen first overall is rare. Which is true.

Pretending those things aren’t related is so silly.

I’m sure Detroit will be signing all their franchise defensemen to 10+ million dollar contracts soon enough. Totally going to happen
No, pretending that teams who don't have two #1 overall defensemen won't soon be paying two defensemen ~$20M is what's silly.

That's kinda the point here. Where they were drafted doesn't mean shit. There are 3-5 teams that'll be doing this soon, and they didn't pick their guys at 1st. So again, no, 1st overall isn't the reason. The way they're playing and cap inflation are the reasons.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
And the Sabres will STILL have 33 in cap space next summer.

They are set up to be a powerhouse if they make the right moves with that space.

Owen will get close to 10 of that, so 23 to round out the team?

Wow

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Buffalo planning their future based on 1 season of insane shooting% is interesting.
Buffalo paying their Top 3 players $25M until the cap is hitting around $120M is even more interesting.

Prefer makar at 9m
Ignoring the fact that this is a 3rd contract compared to a 2nd contract and that the league was in a complete state of financial uncertainty when Makar was signed... He'll probably be making 8 x $15M on his next deal.

Reactions: Waterbuf

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And the Sabres will STILL have 33 in cap space next summer.

They are set up to be a powerhouse if they make the right moves with that space.

Owen will get close to 10 of that, so 23 to round out the team?

Wow
That money will get eaten up quickly, just watch.

Sounds like the argument some made when we extended Tage and Cozens. Those turned out pretty gosh-darned well.

This contract will be a steal by years 6-8. Maybe even sooner.
Maybe it will, but that's a long way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad