Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Kinda agree, but even if those guys weren't good they still show things here and there, even if they can do better for sure.

Watched tonights game and they were worse then the first game. So glad we did not take Fabbro. Marner was horrible as was Strome, giveaway after giveaway, slow and not interested at all. Canada better give Lauzon a look and Cholowski too, still think he will be a better pro then Fabbro. Too bad Senyshyn did not get a longer look for those guys to stink it up. At least McAvoy and Lindgren look good, Frederic, meh, so far a big Kelly but he has time.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Watched tonights game and they were worse then the first game. So glad we did not take Fabbro. Marner was horrible as was Strome, giveaway after giveaway, slow and not interested at all. Canada better give Lauzon a look and Cholowski too, still think he will be a better pro then Fabbro. Too bad Senyshyn did not get a longer look for those guys to stink it up. At least McAvoy and Lindgren look good, Frederic, meh, so far a big Kelly but he has time.

On the Frederick thing - this isn't aimed at you, but is something I've noticed a lot of people say - the kid doesn't compare to Chris Kelly at all. With these young kids, the ones that get drafted and tend to rise to the NHL can score when they are 17/18 years old. Chris Kelly was over a PPG in the OHL in his draft season. Like most NHL players who wind up on your bottom six, he slowed way down once he made the AHL. For every kid who goes from a 20 point player like Lucic his draft year and becomes a 50+ point guy as a NHLer, there are a hundred who progress like Kelly.

This is kind of what scares me with the Frederick pick and some of their other acquisitions. Players like Acciari, Kuraly and Frederick don't have the numbers to project as a 20-30 point third liner. Their numbers don't support them chipping in 15-20 on the fourth line. They look to be much like Acciari was last season - a guy who can play his shift but will contribute absolutely nothing offensively.

It looks like it might be an organization thing, as these were all Sweeney acquisitions. I worry that Sweeney views any offensive contribution from his 4th line as unnecessary, thus putting more pressure on the top three lines and the defensemen. It is doubly worrying given that he hasn't drafted too many goals outside of Senyshyn.

Anyway, just wanted to vent, as I've been thinking about this for a while.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
The only thing I can think of when I hear "Whitfield" is that he was the guy we stuck with in the Philly collapse, rather than bringing up Marchand. Not his fault but I'll never forget it.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
On the Frederick thing - this isn't aimed at you, but is something I've noticed a lot of people say - the kid doesn't compare to Chris Kelly at all. With these young kids, the ones that get drafted and tend to rise to the NHL can score when they are 17/18 years old. Chris Kelly was over a PPG in the OHL in his draft season. Like most NHL players who wind up on your bottom six, he slowed way down once he made the AHL. For every kid who goes from a 20 point player like Lucic his draft year and becomes a 50+ point guy as a NHLer, there are a hundred who progress like Kelly.

This is kind of what scares me with the Frederick pick and some of their other acquisitions. Players like Acciari, Kuraly and Frederick don't have the numbers to project as a 20-30 point third liner. Their numbers don't support them chipping in 15-20 on the fourth line. They look to be much like Acciari was last season - a guy who can play his shift but will contribute absolutely nothing offensively.

It looks like it might be an organization thing, as these were all Sweeney acquisitions. I worry that Sweeney views any offensive contribution from his 4th line as unnecessary, thus putting more pressure on the top three lines and the defensemen. It is doubly worrying given that he hasn't drafted too many goals outside of Senyshyn.

Some get a calling and change their makeup, Guy Carbonneau was a big points player in junior until he was handed a specific role in the NHL.

Zac Rinaldo*

does anyone think there is a chance that the Bruins change their minds about Charlie going back to school if he impresses to a great extent at camp, or do you think even if they're sensing a homerun at camp, they'll do the right thing and be patient

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
does anyone think there is a chance that the Bruins change their minds about Charlie going back to school if he impresses to a great extent at camp, or do you think even if they're sensing a homerun at camp, they'll do the right thing and be patient

I'm fairly certain he won't be at camp, unless he decided to forgo his college eligibility. My understanding is NCAA players can't attend fall camp.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

See Joonas Kemppainen also. I do think that's an issue. We should be playing talented, young players on the 4th line and let them develop. Guys like Vatrano and Heinen not guys like Kemp and Soup.

Zac Rinaldo*

I'm fairly certain he won't be at camp, unless he decided to forgo his college eligibility. My understanding is NCAA players can't attend fall camp.

idk why i always forget about NCAA regs. thank you

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
All I meant about Frederic is he may fill in the spot Kelly had as the 3rd line center. I do not see him in the top 2 spots unless he finds some offence, drive the net and carry the puck. Otherwise he will end up being a dump and chaser, shutdown roll player and there is nothing wrong with that, especially at his size. I hope JFK, Heinen, Donato, Fitzgerald, Czarnik or anyone else can occupy the top 2 spots after Bergy and Krech retire and if we keep Spooner.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Highly, highly doubt it. 18 year old defensemen are absurdly rare, they're the Doughty/Ekblads of the league. I would love for McAvoy to become that, but it's not realistic... They'll give him another year in the NCAA. I also don't think he can be at camp if he isn't signed, and he can't go back to the NCAA if he signs.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I watched every game (minus SWE-FIN on Saturday) of the WJC showcase exhibitions so thought I'd share my thoughts on the B's prospects who participated.

Charlie McAvoy:
-- He was hands down USA's #1 defenseman -- both in the responsibility given to him (PP and PK) and in his play.
-- The one element of his game that stood out the most to me was his play in the defensive zone -- particularly on the PK. He was very good at using his stick to knock the puck off of players' sticks. I wasn't expecting him to be so good at it considering he was mostly labeled as an offensive d-man.
-- I thought he did a very good job of picking his spots for when to jump into the offense -- including one time that led to a partial breakaway (he made a move to the backhand but it was hard to tell if he flubbed the shot wide or the goalie made the save). Oftentimes offensive defensemen get caught pinching at the blue line or getting too far up the ice but that wasn't the case with Charlie during this tournament (with the exception of maybe one play all tournament in the neutral zone that led to an odd man rush).
-- The physicality was also nice to see. We don't need him running around trying to lay guys out constantly but knowing that he can drop the hammer when the opportunity presents itself is a plus.
-- In terms of things he needs to work on...the big thing that bugged me was his tendency to step up on guys in the defensive zone. There were numerous times where an oncoming forward would chip the puck past him and rather than turn, box out the forward, and go after the puck, he would step forward and just try to slow down the forward. It tended to work out as usually his defense partner was able to get to the puck before the forward but I can see times where NHL forwards just blow right by him and get the puck while he is left standing still because he stepped up.
-- Additionally, he occasionally would chase guys around the d-zone a bit too much (though maybe that is how the USA coaches want the D to play, I don't know). Again, I don't recall it burning him in this tournament but it seemed like he should be handing guys off for his forwards to defend rather than leaving the front of the net open.
-- While his puck skills are good, he can also be a little sloppy with the puck...whether it be overhandling it or there were a number of times (two on the same shift vs. Canada) when he had the chance to clear the zone on the PK and didn't get it out.
-- Lastly, I would like to see him work on his skating a bit. He's not bad by any means but there were a few times where he was wheeling from behind his net with the puck and he did a good job of using his size to keep the forechecker at bay but he didn't always show a top gear to then pull away from them cleanly and ended up having the puck knocked away from him from behind. In the NHL where guys are bigger and faster, if he can add a bit more speed then this shouldn't be a concern.
-- Since he was on the team last year, he is a lock to make the team again and it'll be really interesting to see how he handles the responsibility of #1 D going up against the best U-20 players in the world.

Ryan Lindgren:
-- I really liked what I saw from Ryan. His biggest strength was separating guys from the puck in the defensive zone. He wouldn't necessarily throw big hits but rather used his strength and positioning to win puck battles consistently.
-- I was also pleasantly surprised at his skating and puck carrying skills. I would argue that he is a faster skater than McAvoy and made nice cuts at high speed to get around forwards in the neutral zone. He also had a good sense for when and where to move the puck.
-- Another skill I liked was his penchant for shooting low and hard with the purpose of generating a rebound. In fact, it was his low hard shot that led to Frederic's goal.
-- Ryan was one of a number of American defensemen who played well in the tournament so it's hard to pencil him onto the roster yet but I like his chances (especially since he had been the captain of the U-18 team last year).

Trent Frederic:
-- He came as advertised...not a ton of skill but solid on faceoffs and in the defensive zone. He didn't throw any real big hits but he wasn't afraid to give guys a solid bump into the boards. In the offensive zone, he did show some decent cycle and puck possession ability.
-- For all the crap he gets about his offense, he did have 1 goal & 1 assist in 3 games with pretty limited ice time -- obviously a small sample size though. The goal was a product of doing dirty work around the net (he should have had a second one that same game but the goalie robbed him) and his assist was a nice little touch pass on a rush in the o-zone (though I'm not sure how intentional the pass was, to be honest).
-- Frederic is not going to make the team as a top 6 forward but USA usually rolls a checking line so I'd say he still has a shot. He was one of their top guys on the PK so that may help his chances. I'd put him at 50/50 to make the team currently with his play at Wisconsin likely to be the big deciding factor.

Zach Senyshyn:
-- It's really tough to assess Zach's play since a) he only played one game, b) Canada's play as a whole was really bad (especially in the first game), & c) no one knows how his play may have been impacted by his recovery from mono.
-- With that said, I would describe his one game as "meh". He looked pretty rusty (as did most of Canada) so he didn't have much of a chance to use his strengths (speed & shot). The two notable chances he got, one rolled off his stick in the slot and the other was a pass that went through his legs right at the top of the crease. He won some board battles, he lost some board battles -- so like I said, pretty "meh" outing.
-- In terms of his chances of making Team Canada, it's hard to say. If anything helped his chances during this tournament it's the fact that Canada scored 3 goals total in 3 games. If they are worried about offense (especially if Marner and/or Strome are in the NHL), then you would think they would want a pure goal scorer like Zach on the team...but who knows.

Jeremy Lauzon
-- Like Zach, he only played in one of Canada's three games. I thought he played decently though. I don't recall any major errors and you saw some of the speed, puck retrieval, and physical play that he is known for.
-- Since Lauzon was invited to last year's WJC December camp (after Walman got hurt) and none of Canada's defensemen really shined in this tourney, I would think he has an inside track on a roster spot.

Oskar Steen:
-- He was pretty invisible in my opinion. He got some PP time and seemed to do a decent job of finding space in the slot and getting shots off but he never drove the play or generated any real dangerous scoring chances -- which isn't all that surprising for a 6th rounder.
-- The lone highlight was him and Max Jones going at it after a whistle. Not surprisingly Jones crossed the line and got a 4 minute penalty (Steen got 2) but give Oskar credit for standing his ground against a much bigger, meaner character.

PS: Sorry this post went on so long.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
^^^^^^^^^

Nice write-up. Informative stuff. Thanks for taking the time to put it together BronxBruin

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I watched every game (minus SWE-FIN on Saturday) of the WJC showcase exhibitions so thought I'd share my thoughts on the B's prospects who participated.

Charlie McAvoy:
-- He was hands down USA's #1 defenseman -- both in the responsibility given to him (PP and PK) and in his play.
-- The one element of his game that stood out the most to me was his play in the defensive zone -- particularly on the PK. He was very good at using his stick to knock the puck off of players' sticks. I wasn't expecting him to be so good at it considering he was mostly labeled as an offensive d-man.
-- I thought he did a very good job of picking his spots for when to jump into the offense -- including one time that led to a partial breakaway (he made a move to the backhand but it was hard to tell if he flubbed the shot wide or the goalie made the save). Oftentimes offensive defensemen get caught pinching at the blue line or getting too far up the ice but that wasn't the case with Charlie during this tournament (with the exception of maybe one play all tournament in the neutral zone that led to an odd man rush).
-- The physicality was also nice to see. We don't need him running around trying to lay guys out constantly but knowing that he can drop the hammer when the opportunity presents itself is a plus.
-- In terms of things he needs to work on...the big thing that bugged me was his tendency to step up on guys in the defensive zone. There were numerous times where an oncoming forward would chip the puck past him and rather than turn, box out the forward, and go after the puck, he would step forward and just try to slow down the forward. It tended to work out as usually his defense partner was able to get to the puck before the forward but I can see times where NHL forwards just blow right by him and get the puck while he is left standing still because he stepped up.
-- Additionally, he occasionally would chase guys around the d-zone a bit too much (though maybe that is how the USA coaches want the D to play, I don't know). Again, I don't recall it burning him in this tournament but it seemed like he should be handing guys off for his forwards to defend rather than leaving the front of the net open.
-- While his puck skills are good, he can also be a little sloppy with the puck...whether it be overhandling it or there were a number of times (two on the same shift vs. Canada) when he had the chance to clear the zone on the PK and didn't get it out.
-- Lastly, I would like to see him work on his skating a bit. He's not bad by any means but there were a few times where he was wheeling from behind his net with the puck and he did a good job of using his size to keep the forechecker at bay but he didn't always show a top gear to then pull away from them cleanly and ended up having the puck knocked away from him from behind. In the NHL where guys are bigger and faster, if he can add a bit more speed then this shouldn't be a concern.
-- Since he was on the team last year, he is a lock to make the team again and it'll be really interesting to see how he handles the responsibility of #1 D going up against the best U-20 players in the world.

Ryan Lindgren:
-- I really liked what I saw from Ryan. His biggest strength was separating guys from the puck in the defensive zone. He wouldn't necessarily throw big hits but rather used his strength and positioning to win puck battles consistently.
-- I was also pleasantly surprised at his skating and puck carrying skills. I would argue that he is a faster skater than McAvoy and made nice cuts at high speed to get around forwards in the neutral zone. He also had a good sense for when and where to move the puck.
-- Another skill I liked was his penchant for shooting low and hard with the purpose of generating a rebound. In fact, it was his low hard shot that led to Frederic's goal.
-- Ryan was one of a number of American defensemen who played well in the tournament so it's hard to pencil him onto the roster yet but I like his chances (especially since he had been the captain of the U-18 team last year).

Trent Frederic:
-- He came as advertised...not a ton of skill but solid on faceoffs and in the defensive zone. He didn't throw any real big hits but he wasn't afraid to give guys a solid bump into the boards. In the offensive zone, he did show some decent cycle and puck possession ability.
-- For all the crap he gets about his offense, he did have 1 goal & 1 assist in 3 games with pretty limited ice time -- obviously a small sample size though. The goal was a product of doing dirty work around the net (he should have had a second one that same game but the goalie robbed him) and his assist was a nice little touch pass on a rush in the o-zone (though I'm not sure how intentional the pass was, to be honest).
-- Frederic is not going to make the team as a top 6 forward but USA usually rolls a checking line so I'd say he still has a shot. He was one of their top guys on the PK so that may help his chances. I'd put him at 50/50 to make the team currently with his play at Wisconsin likely to be the big deciding factor.

Zach Senyshyn:
-- It's really tough to assess Zach's play since a) he only played one game, b) Canada's play as a whole was really bad (especially in the first game), & c) no one knows how his play may have been impacted by his recovery from mono.
-- With that said, I would describe his one game as "meh". He looked pretty rusty (as did most of Canada) so he didn't have much of a chance to use his strengths (speed & shot). The two notable chances he got, one rolled off his stick in the slot and the other was a pass that went through his legs right at the top of the crease. He won some board battles, he lost some board battles -- so like I said, pretty "meh" outing.
-- In terms of his chances of making Team Canada, it's hard to say. If anything helped his chances during this tournament it's the fact that Canada scored 3 goals total in 3 games. If they are worried about offense (especially if Marner and/or Strome are in the NHL), then you would think they would want a pure goal scorer like Zach on the team...but who knows.

Jeremy Lauzon
-- Like Zach, he only played in one of Canada's three games. I thought he played decently though. I don't recall any major errors and you saw some of the speed, puck retrieval, and physical play that he is known for.
-- Since Lauzon was invited to last year's WJC December camp (after Walman got hurt) and none of Canada's defensemen really shined in this tourney, I would think he has an inside track on a roster spot.

Oskar Steen:
-- He was pretty invisible in my opinion. He got some PP time and seemed to do a decent job of finding space in the slot and getting shots off but he never drove the play or generated any real dangerous scoring chances -- which isn't all that surprising for a 6th rounder.
-- The lone highlight was him and Max Jones going at it after a whistle. Not surprisingly Jones crossed the line and got a 4 minute penalty (Steen got 2) but give Oskar credit for standing his ground against a much bigger, meaner character.

PS: Sorry this post went on so long.

Great read, I also watch most of the game and agree with everything you said.
Now, I just want to add/ask on Senyshyn (cause why not? eh). He did look rusty, I agree and didn't do much with the puck the rare time he touch it, but I'm fine putting it on the "rusty" thing. What scare me again is the IQ. Canada did rotate with 4 line and everyone played more or less the same amount of time, but I'd be curious if there was a player who touch the puck less than him on the team? I know he's not the kind of player who create alot of takeover on the defensive side or on the forechek and I'm ok with it but for an offensive player touching the puck so few, I do not like. He seems to be extremly hard to involve into the play for his linemate, he skate arround and seem to "never" be arround the play. This caught my eyes at last year camp and this game was more or less the same. I know some are fast to blame his teamates for this, but it's not always someone else fault.

I just think of an other comparaison on that sense. A highly talented kid who could fly and make the highlight real play, but who didn't touch the puck that much because he didn't seem to know where to go the get into the play. He played a little for the Bruins and was once said to go before Kovalchuk in the draft if he was bigger. Not saying they are the same and Senyshyn will end up like him, but right now this facet of their play his really similar imho. That's what I mean when I say "operating in a bubble". Am I the only one who see this or others agree too?

Disclaimer, as usual, I don't say he is a bust, or he suck. If you agree or not, tell me why.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You referring to chuck kobasew?

I'm thinking he's referring to Chistov.

You can be forgiven if you don't remember him playing for the Bruins, he was pretty much a ghost every game he played.

But the above could easily apply to Kobasew. But Kobasew for awhile could actually play (scored 20+ goals in back-to-back years in 2008 and 2009). And he had decent size (6'1 195).

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Do you guys remember Senyshyn was recovering from mono?

It appears that someone forgot: :laugh:

Great read, I also watch most of the game and agree with everything you said.
Now, I just want to add/ask on Senyshyn (cause why not? eh). He did look rusty, I agree and didn't do much with the puck the rare time he touch it, but I'm fine putting it on the "rusty" thing. What scare me again is the IQ. Canada did rotate with 4 line and everyone played more or less the same amount of time, but I'd be curious if there was a player who touch the puck less than him on the team? I know he's not the kind of player who create alot of takeover on the defensive side or on the forechek and I'm ok with it but for an offensive player touching the puck so few, I do not like. He seems to be extremly hard to involve into the play for his linemate, he skate arround and seem to "never" be arround the play. This caught my eyes at last year camp and this game was more or less the same. I know some are fast to blame his teamates for this, but it's not always someone else fault.

I just think of an other comparaison on that sense. A highly talented kid who could fly and make the highlight real play, but who didn't touch the puck that much because he didn't seem to know where to go the get into the play. He played a little for the Bruins and was once said to go before Kovalchuk in the draft if he was bigger. Not saying they are the same and Senyshyn will end up like him, but right now this facet of their play his really similar imho. That's what I mean when I say "operating in a bubble". Am I the only one who see this or others agree too?

Disclaimer, as usual, I don't say he is a bust, or he suck. If you agree or not, tell me why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad