Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I watched every game (minus SWE-FIN on Saturday) of the WJC showcase exhibitions so thought I'd share my thoughts on the B's prospects who participated.

Great read, I also watch most of the game and agree with everything you said.
Now, I just want to add/ask on Senyshyn (cause why not? eh). He did look rusty, I agree and didn't do much with the puck the rare time he touch it, but I'm fine putting it on the "rusty" thing. What scare me again is the IQ. Canada did rotate with 4 line and everyone played more or less the same amount of time, but I'd be curious if there was a player who touch the puck less than him on the team?

Great write-up BB, couldn't agree more with most of what you said.

However, reffree, I do disagree with you here. I watched the game Senyshyn played a couple times, and while Canada did a great job of rotating their 7D, the forward lines were completely unbalanced timewise -- I only counted about 5 shifts a period for Senyshyn; maybe a few more in the third. He looked completely different from everything that's been put out there about him in the CHL, so I'm heavily leaning towards the mono recovery that Dom mentioned still effecting him. I also don't think his linemates did him any favors as they only maybe once gave him a decent playmaking pass.

As for McAvoy, he's already looking like the real deal. The hit was intense, and it was his second big one of the tournament. As BB mentioned, he did do a bit of running around in the D zone, but I think the constant changing of D partners (the US was rotating all 7D evenly, which meant a different pair every shift) lead to a lot of miscommunication...I don't think that's anything to worry about long-term. Him and Lindgren looked solid as a pairing when they were together; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back together for the real tournament.

Pretty crazy when you look back through the years, almost every US team this decade had at least 1 (if not 2 or 3) future legit NHL defensemen on them...with McAvoy and Lindgren this year (and Carlo last year), history gives us a solid shot at one or more of these guys being very good.

Last note -- people may still be mad about us not taking Kyle Connor in 2015, but I think Brock Boeser is the prospect to really be disappointed we missed out on...between last year's NCAA tourney and his U18-20 career so far, he's already looking like a complete stud.

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
After watching USA-Sweden and USA-Canada I'm really impressed with mcavoy. He certainly can be caught out of position at times and also can put himself out of position looking for the big hit. But that's the only faults I could find. When he finds himself in good position, he always makes a great play defensively. All he needs is more coaching structure and discipline and I think he can be special. He's not overly aggressive offensively and seems very comfortable at the point. He knows what he's doing offensively. He wasn't awe inspiring but you can see the skill level is present. When opportunities came up to walk the line or take the puck in deep, he did.

His issues defensively are easily correctable. He knows what needs to be done to stop chances when he's in position and he does it. His skating allows him to make up for poor decision making in the neutral zone. But his confidence in the neutral zone is also rare from an 18 year old.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I watched every game (minus SWE-FIN on Saturday) of the WJC showcase exhibitions so thought I'd share my thoughts on the B's prospects who participated.

Charlie McAvoy:
-- He was hands down USA's #1 defenseman -- both in the responsibility given to him (PP and PK) and in his play.
-- The one element of his game that stood out the most to me was his play in the defensive zone -- particularly on the PK. He was very good at using his stick to knock the puck off of players' sticks. I wasn't expecting him to be so good at it considering he was mostly labeled as an offensive d-man.
-- I thought he did a very good job of picking his spots for when to jump into the offense -- including one time that led to a partial breakaway (he made a move to the backhand but it was hard to tell if he flubbed the shot wide or the goalie made the save). Oftentimes offensive defensemen get caught pinching at the blue line or getting too far up the ice but that wasn't the case with Charlie during this tournament (with the exception of maybe one play all tournament in the neutral zone that led to an odd man rush).
-- The physicality was also nice to see. We don't need him running around trying to lay guys out constantly but knowing that he can drop the hammer when the opportunity presents itself is a plus.
-- In terms of things he needs to work on...the big thing that bugged me was his tendency to step up on guys in the defensive zone. There were numerous times where an oncoming forward would chip the puck past him and rather than turn, box out the forward, and go after the puck, he would step forward and just try to slow down the forward. It tended to work out as usually his defense partner was able to get to the puck before the forward but I can see times where NHL forwards just blow right by him and get the puck while he is left standing still because he stepped up.
-- Additionally, he occasionally would chase guys around the d-zone a bit too much (though maybe that is how the USA coaches want the D to play, I don't know). Again, I don't recall it burning him in this tournament but it seemed like he should be handing guys off for his forwards to defend rather than leaving the front of the net open.
-- While his puck skills are good, he can also be a little sloppy with the puck...whether it be overhandling it or there were a number of times (two on the same shift vs. Canada) when he had the chance to clear the zone on the PK and didn't get it out.
-- Lastly, I would like to see him work on his skating a bit. He's not bad by any means but there were a few times where he was wheeling from behind his net with the puck and he did a good job of using his size to keep the forechecker at bay but he didn't always show a top gear to then pull away from them cleanly and ended up having the puck knocked away from him from behind. In the NHL where guys are bigger and faster, if he can add a bit more speed then this shouldn't be a concern.
-- Since he was on the team last year, he is a lock to make the team again and it'll be really interesting to see how he handles the responsibility of #1 D going up against the best U-20 players in the world.

Ryan Lindgren:
-- I really liked what I saw from Ryan. His biggest strength was separating guys from the puck in the defensive zone. He wouldn't necessarily throw big hits but rather used his strength and positioning to win puck battles consistently.
-- I was also pleasantly surprised at his skating and puck carrying skills. I would argue that he is a faster skater than McAvoy and made nice cuts at high speed to get around forwards in the neutral zone. He also had a good sense for when and where to move the puck.
-- Another skill I liked was his penchant for shooting low and hard with the purpose of generating a rebound. In fact, it was his low hard shot that led to Frederic's goal.
-- Ryan was one of a number of American defensemen who played well in the tournament so it's hard to pencil him onto the roster yet but I like his chances (especially since he had been the captain of the U-18 team last year).

Trent Frederic:
-- He came as advertised...not a ton of skill but solid on faceoffs and in the defensive zone. He didn't throw any real big hits but he wasn't afraid to give guys a solid bump into the boards. In the offensive zone, he did show some decent cycle and puck possession ability.
-- For all the crap he gets about his offense, he did have 1 goal & 1 assist in 3 games with pretty limited ice time -- obviously a small sample size though. The goal was a product of doing dirty work around the net (he should have had a second one that same game but the goalie robbed him) and his assist was a nice little touch pass on a rush in the o-zone (though I'm not sure how intentional the pass was, to be honest).
-- Frederic is not going to make the team as a top 6 forward but USA usually rolls a checking line so I'd say he still has a shot. He was one of their top guys on the PK so that may help his chances. I'd put him at 50/50 to make the team currently with his play at Wisconsin likely to be the big deciding factor.

Zach Senyshyn:
-- It's really tough to assess Zach's play since a) he only played one game, b) Canada's play as a whole was really bad (especially in the first game), & c) no one knows how his play may have been impacted by his recovery from mono.
-- With that said, I would describe his one game as "meh". He looked pretty rusty (as did most of Canada) so he didn't have much of a chance to use his strengths (speed & shot). The two notable chances he got, one rolled off his stick in the slot and the other was a pass that went through his legs right at the top of the crease. He won some board battles, he lost some board battles -- so like I said, pretty "meh" outing.
-- In terms of his chances of making Team Canada, it's hard to say. If anything helped his chances during this tournament it's the fact that Canada scored 3 goals total in 3 games. If they are worried about offense (especially if Marner and/or Strome are in the NHL), then you would think they would want a pure goal scorer like Zach on the team...but who knows.

Jeremy Lauzon
-- Like Zach, he only played in one of Canada's three games. I thought he played decently though. I don't recall any major errors and you saw some of the speed, puck retrieval, and physical play that he is known for.
-- Since Lauzon was invited to last year's WJC December camp (after Walman got hurt) and none of Canada's defensemen really shined in this tourney, I would think he has an inside track on a roster spot.

Oskar Steen:
-- He was pretty invisible in my opinion. He got some PP time and seemed to do a decent job of finding space in the slot and getting shots off but he never drove the play or generated any real dangerous scoring chances -- which isn't all that surprising for a 6th rounder.
-- The lone highlight was him and Max Jones going at it after a whistle. Not surprisingly Jones crossed the line and got a 4 minute penalty (Steen got 2) but give Oskar credit for standing his ground against a much bigger, meaner character.

PS: Sorry this post went on so long.
Thank you very much for your time and effort - great detail and glad you liked and reported what you saw of McAvoy and Lindgren

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
does anyone think there is a chance that the Bruins change their minds about Charlie going back to school if he impresses to a great extent at camp, or do you think even if they're sensing a homerun at camp, they'll do the right thing and be patient

No way they would not do this to David Quinn. With Quinn and proximity the Bruins have a good handle how close these kids are. It would hurt his program and would have done it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

However, reffree, I do disagree with you here. I watched the game Senyshyn played a couple times, and while Canada did a great job of rotating their 7D, the forward lines were completely unbalanced timewise -- I only counted about 5 shifts a period for Senyshyn; maybe a few more in the third. He looked completely different from everything that's been put out there about him in the CHL, so I'm heavily leaning towards the mono recovery that Dom mentioned still effecting him. I also don't think his linemates did him any favors as they only maybe once gave him a decent playmaking pass.

As for McAvoy, he's already looking like the real deal. The hit was intense, and it was his second big one of the tournament. As BB mentioned, he did do a bit of running around in the D zone, but I think the constant changing of D partners (the US was rotating all 7D evenly, which meant a different pair every shift) lead to a lot of miscommunication...I don't think that's anything to worry about long-term. Him and Lindgren looked solid as a pairing when they were together; I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back together for the real tournament.

Pretty crazy when you look back through the years, almost every US team this decade had at least 1 (if not 2 or 3) future legit NHL defensemen on them...with McAvoy and Lindgren this year (and Carlo last year), history gives us a solid shot at one or more of these guys being very good.

Last note -- people may still be mad about us not taking Kyle Connor in 2015, but I think Brock Boeser is the prospect to really be disappointed we missed out on...between last year's NCAA tourney and his U18-20 career so far, he's already looking like a complete stud.

Good stuff. Your not the first person that has said this about Boeser being a stud and even better than Connor. I couldn't make that judgement my self so to good hockey people say it makes you pay attention

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

45 sec a shift means more or less 25 shifts by period, all 4 lines playing 5 shift means 20 shifts allready, then add PP and PK shift where they did manage the bench a little more and it's exactly it. Everyone played those 5-6 shifts a period.

Last edited:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I'm thinking he's referring to Chistov.

You can be forgiven if you don't remember him playing for the Bruins, he was pretty much a ghost every game he played.

But the above could easily apply to Kobasew. But Kobasew for awhile could actually play (scored 20+ goals in back-to-back years in 2008 and 2009). And he had decent size (6'1 195).

Yes I'm reffering Chistov. The Kobasew comparaison is better style wise (a good skater with not much creativity but a nose for the net while Chistov was more of a dangler), but I bring Chistov for that very precise part of Senyshyn games. Chistov was the same, you were looking at the game waiting for him to do something real good with the puck but he never had it. Then I taught, damn give him to puck ... I was blaming his linemate and then game after game after game it was always the same thing and I stop blaming it on his teamate.

Kobasew could be a good ceiling for him if he adopt a more "agressive" approch to the game.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
A bit of an afterthought signing after Backes, here's a great read on Tim Schaller by Kirk.

https://scoutingpost.com/2016/07/27/the-undrafted-free-agents-tim-schaller/

Growing up in the Granite State less than an hour from Boston, Schaller was a Bruins fan, so he said in the Globe piece that when GM Don Sweeney called, he was pretty much sold. This is an example of leveraging the connection local talent has with playing for the hometown team, which although has fallen on harder times over the past two seasons, is still just five years removed from having won a Stanley Cup.

You can also connect the dots to Jimmy Vesey a bit with this one, as it is one more example of the lure that Boston has for guys who grew up in the area and have an attachment to home. Schiller’s decision and his accompanying comments reminds us all that the Bruins are still in a pretty good spot when it comes to attracting players and selling them on making Boston a pro hockey destination.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins prospects showing off at national junior showcase

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/haggerty-bruins-prospects-showing-national-junior-showcase

“[These prospects] are now at the forefront of where this organization is headed,†said Bruins GM Don Sweeney last month at the end of development camp. “We feel good about that. We’re going to give them the time that’s necessary to become the players that they can become, but they are a big, big part of our future. They know it and we’ve acknowledged it to them. Now they recognize the opportunity in front of them to take advantage of it.â€

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was I critical of his work ethic, his effort level, his strenght on the puck or anything else that could have been affected by a mono?

For whatever reason, you have had an axe to grind with Senyshyn from the start. It's always stuff like, he could just be rusty....BUT he doesn't have a hockey IQ, he doesn't make his teammate's better, and so on, and so on. Then when someone points out that you don't like him, you get defensive.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm going to wait until I see more of him up close before I start making judgements like that.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
45 sec a shift means more or less 25 shifts by period, all 4 lines playing 5 shift means 20 shifts allready, then add PP and PK shift where they did manage the bench a little more and it's exactly it. Everyone played those 5-6 shifts a period.

The thing is the Canada dee did not move the puck like the American team. Canada ignored all first pass chances and they all tried to carry and impress the brass. All Senyshyn did was skate and be open present his stick and no pass, slow down then get a pass behind him from a dead stop. He would have been perfect playing with a creative centers like Marner or Barzal. As for the ice time, I watched Strome and Marner regularly in the last 2 games have 2 minute shifts, float around and do nothing. This coach has his mind made up and I am afraid he maybe lost in the shuffle, same with Lauzon. Shame as they need scoring from the back end and wingers with speed that drive the net.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
For whatever reason, you have had an axe to grind with Senyshyn from the start. It's always stuff like, he could just be rusty....BUT he doesn't have a hockey IQ, he doesn't make his teammate's better, and so on, and so on. Then when someone points out that you don't like him, you get defensive.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm going to wait until I see more of him up close before I start making judgements like that.

The funny things is, it's exactly how I see this too. I say something that doesn't fit with the consensus about Senyshyn, nobody answer what I said, just call me a hater, rince and repeat :laugh:

At least I'm the side who explain what I see and why, the other side his just happy to call me a hater without ever saying what they see with it. And you call me the one on the "defensive".

Me: I think this part of his game is ... because ...
other side: hater
Me: I'm not a hater Senyshyn is our prospect where my opinion and the consensus here is the further away and I'm sharing my questionning to compare perspective with other.
Other side: Don't care, hater
Me: So you won't answer?
Other side: Get defensive now

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The thing is the Canada dee did not move the puck like the American team. Canada ignored all first pass chances and they all tried to carry and impress the brass. All Senyshyn did was skate and be open present his stick and no pass, slow down then get a pass behind him from a dead stop. He would have been perfect playing with a creative centers like Marner or Barzal. As for the ice time, I watched Strome and Marner regularly in the last 2 games have 2 minute shifts, float around and do nothing. This coach has his mind made up and I am afraid he maybe lost in the shuffle, same with Lauzon. Shame as they need scoring from the back end and wingers with speed that drive the net.

Totally agree, has a whole Canada was pretty bad and got embarass by the US who clearly move the puck better. It was defenetly way easier to look good playing with the US. Also agree about trying to impress carrying the puck ignoring passing option, they were forcing plays ALOT. Agree about his teamate not helping him, but nor does he help them either and they still touch the puck more than him. I don't remember who drafted Soy, but they could clearly have this discussion on their board "but his teamate dosen't help him" and it would be true too. Canada passing play were a mess.

He could also look better with a creative center, that's what I'd like to see. I'd really like to see this to see how he adjust, but not with Marner or Barzal, those guy are so better than the level they can take undrafted player and make them look good, something Senyshyn won't see in the NHL other than playing with Crosby or McDavid. A creative center of his level would be the best way to see how he adjust imho.

Hockey Canada often have their mind made up before the tournament, if you are not in their mind you clearly need to impress alot to have a chance. They still have the 6 games of the Russian serie. If he is dress the two games then he is still in the process. He still have time to impress and looking at the result where nobody on Canada impress, if he step up there's still a good chance he make it.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Totally agree, has a whole Canada was pretty bad and got embarass by the US who clearly move the puck better. It was defenetly way easier to look good playing with the US. Also agree about trying to impress carrying the puck ignoring passing option, they were forcing plays ALOT. Agree about his teamate not helping him, but nor does he help them either and they still touch the puck more than him. I don't remember who drafted Soy, but they could clearly have this discussion on their board "but his teamate dosen't help him" and it would be true too. Canada passing play were a mess.

He could also look better with a creative center, that's what I'd like to see. I'd really like to see this to see how he adjust, but not with Marner or Barzal, those guy are so better than the level they can take undrafted player and make them look good, something Senyshyn won't see in the NHL other than playing with Crosby or McDavid. A creative center of his level would be the best way to see how he adjust imho.

Hockey Canada often have their mind made up before the tournament, if you are not in their mind you clearly need to impress alot to have a chance. They still have the 6 games of the Russian serie. If he is dress the two games then he is still in the process. He still have time to impress and looking at the result where nobody on Canada impress, if he step up there's still a good chance he make it.

Yes I agree with you and I did go easy on Senyshyn. I am homer and think he will be a good Bruin but there was more then his line that was a mess. Marner at that level would be good for him as he plays like Krejci, methodical and delivers quick short passes springing guys like a quarterback. Senyshyn would be perfect using his speed to get open on the fly and drive the net. They played Marner with Strome and it never worked and Senyshyn was not clicking with his guys. Hopefully in the subway series some guys get a better look and they rewatch the summer tapes. That goes for Lauzon as well. We have all played with guys that you have chemistry with and some guys its awful, no matter how good in theory it looks on paper. He does need to grab his next chance by the throat and prove it.

Last edited:

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Future of Bruins dcore looking great.

2-3 years from now we may very well see:

Krug-Carlo
Zboril-McAvoy
Lauzon/O'Gara-Grizz/C.Miller
Lindgren

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site

Krug-Carlo
Zboril-McAvoy
Lindgren

I don't think Krug will ever be a 1st pairing D-man, but McAvoy has the chops & skating that should he round out his game could very well be our #1 D-man. I would also say that Lauzon could also be a top pairing D with his all around game. Only time will tell but the future's so bright (...I got to wear shades!). :D

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Krug-Carlo
Zboril-McAvoy
Lindgren

I agree. I think the right side especially looks great with Charlie, Colin, and Carlo. Still probably need one more LHD before I'd feel great. Would definitely like **** this year, but I don't think he's necessary in the future.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Since everyone seems upset about the possibility of not signing Jimmy Vesey, I'll take this moment to reiterate something I wrote a couple of months ago...

If you told me I could only have either Jimmy Vesey or Danton Heinen, I'd take Danton Heinen every time.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Since everyone seems upset about the possibility of not signing Jimmy Vesey, I'll take this moment to reiterate something I wrote a couple of months ago...

If you told me I could only have either Jimmy Vesey or Danton Heinen, I'd take Danton Heinen every time.

I haven't watched either of them play to make that call however would be interested to hear from others?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I haven't watched either of them play to make that call however would be interested to hear from others?

Have seen a lot more of Heinen than Vesey, so can't really compare.

Heinen had 36 goals and 57 assists his 2 years of college hockey. Vesey had 24 goals 16 assists in his first 2 years of college hockey, before busting out as a Junior

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Have seen a lot more of Heinen than Vesey, so can't really compare.

Heinen had 36 goals and 57 assists his 2 years of college hockey. Vesey had 24 goals 16 assists in his first 2 years of college hockey, before busting out as a Junior

Wasn't Heinen a 19 year old freshman though? Veseys 19 and 20 year old seasons were his sophomore and junior seasons. If I remember right anyway vesey was drafted in his first year of eligibility and went to Harvard the following year and Heinen was drafted in his 2nd year of eligibility before attending Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad