Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
What type of player is he? Would say a Niklas Hjalmarsson be a comparable in terms of his skill-set and style?

The short, short version is he's a smooth skating puck mover. Maybe a Cam Fowler, lite.

He's got great mobility, good hands and poise. He's got great escape moves defensively. Moves the puck really well... But like Fowler, the offensive numbers don't seem to line up with his talent. You see him at camp and he's unflappable with forecheckers on him, he can skate his way out of pressure and zip a 100ft pass up ice, then you look up his stats and pfft. I think that disconnect is why some people bring up Ryan Button. Button looked really dynamic at development camps but didn't produce for his jr team. To me, the difference is Johansson was playing in (arguably) the best pro league outside the NHL - as a teen ager. He's just 20 now and he's playing 30 minutes a night, but he might still play defensive and conservative, using his skills to get out of trouble more than using them to take chances offensively.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Let's hope so. As I documented this summer his play (and reports of his play) have been all over the place from Sweden, stretches where he looks like the best guy on the ice for a few weeks, and then long stretches where he looks like the worst guy on the ice. (yes I know he is young, but he takes inconsistency to a new level)

It would be nice to hear about him having a strong consistent season in the SEL

Agreed, but I also think he deserves a bit of a pass for being 19. Put a 19 year old drafted outside the top10 into the AHL and they probably have an inconsistent season too.

More like John Klingberg

Yeah, that's a good one also. Though Klingberg has more production. Still, that's the one most SEL fans make.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The short, short version is he's a smooth skating puck mover. Maybe a Cam Fowler, lite.

He's got great mobility, good hands and poise. He's got great escape moves defensively. Moves the puck really well... But like Fowler, the offensive numbers don't seem to line up with his talent. You see him at camp and he's unflappable with forecheckers on him, he can skate his way out of pressure and zip a 100ft pass up ice, then you look up his stats and pfft. I think that disconnect is why some people bring up Ryan Button. Button looked really dynamic at development camps but didn't produce for his jr team. To me, the difference is Johansson was playing in (arguably) the best pro league outside the NHL - as a teen ager. He's just 20 now and he's playing 30 minutes a night, but he might still play defensive and conservative, using his skills to get out of trouble more than using them to take chances offensively.

Thanks for this (and thanks to the other posters who chimed in).

Only 20, for some reason it feels like he's been in the system forever.

But playing 30 mins a night in that league is no joke, especially at the age of 20.

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
Arizona State has a hockey team? Go Sun Devils!I knew U. of Alabama, Birmingham had one, but that surprised me. Good to see the sport is spreading.

This is their first season as a full member of division 1, last season they split the schedule between club play and D1 play. Hopefully they are planting the seeds for a hockey Pac-10

They even already have 3 NHL draft picks on their team! (to be fair, 2 of them are senior transfer students)

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Mentally prepare for on of these guys potentially hitting UFA after senior season. So much depth. Bs need a good understanding of where these guys are at pre-deadline

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
He's a guy I jump up and down for at every development camp but nobody seems to notice.

I think he's a lock to make it to the NHL, with #3 potential.

that's pretty high praise for a guy who's basically a development camp warrior. i'll go on record saying he's either a bottom pairing nobody or never plays in the NHL. of course where he was picked, doesn't matter if he busts...if he makes it as a #6, that's a big win.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Mentally prepare for on of these guys potentially hitting UFA after senior season. So much depth. Bs need a good understanding of where these guys are at pre-deadline

others may disagree, but i'm not too high on fitzgerald as a pro player. feel like he'll be one of those tweeners.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
others may disagree, but i'm not too high on fitzgerald as a pro player. feel like he'll be one of those tweeners.

Basically agree. He is the only one I think Boston has to worry about this season with going FA.

Bjork is a guy Boston has to be prepared to sign this offseason or he should probably become trade bait. You don't want to let him go to his senior season unsigned, he is far to valuable.

Wiley Sherman is the other player who is a junior. I doubt the Bruin sign him away from Harvard this year, but if he develops well then maybe. He could be a loss risk for next year

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

I'd like to watch him more but seems to have a motor and drive. You could very well be correct, Lawrence, and he seems to be looking up at some fierce internal competition but we will see how the season progresses. Just don't want to see them lost for nothing.

Bjork is a guy Boston has to be prepared to sign this offseason or he should probably become trade bait. You don't want to let him go to his senior season unsigned, he is far to valuable

Agree, this one is too valuable to lose. Big champion of Bjork. Maybe higher than i should be, but he's the one I worry the most about.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Not sure if it's anywhere but lauzon is wearing the C in the Q, 1 goal 1 assist tonight.

Senyshyn 0 points -3

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure if it's anywhere but lauzon is wearing the C in the Q, 1 goal 1 assist tonight.

Senyshyn 0 points -3
you need to take all your knowledge and turn it into a full time job in the NHL - your wasting it on a message board

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
you need to take all your knowledge and turn it into a full time job in the NHL - your wasting it on a message board

Why am I being singled out? This whole page is people updating the stats from today's games from prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad