Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jack Becker is spending another season in the USHL and is scheduled to attend Univ of Wisconsin next year as 20 year old freshmen. Not surprising considering he only managed 22 points in 58 games in the USHL last year. He is scoreless through 3 games this season. It would have been interesting to have 3 prospects on one team but looking like there is just not much to see here. Still like the kind of pick philosophically for the 7th round...6'3 190 lb HS kid who is scheduled to go to a major program but has limited exposure outside of HS hockey.

Unfortunate, but like you I still like the swing for the fences approach on a 7th round pick. You want to go grab someone who has the building block tools so that if on a long shot he puts them together he could develop into an NHL player

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Jack Becker is spending another season in the USHL and is scheduled to attend Univ of Wisconsin next year as 20 year old freshmen. Not surprising considering he only managed 22 points in 58 games in the USHL last year. He is scoreless through 3 games this season. It would have been interesting to have 3 prospects on one team but looking like there is just not much to see here. Still like the kind of pick philosophically for the 7th round...6'3 190 lb HS kid who is scheduled to go to a major program but has limited exposure outside of HS hockey.

I'm not sure I would just write the kid off yet? His first year in the USHL (2015-16) was not a PG year, it was his senior year of high school. If you look a little deeper at USHL rosters these days, the majority of their big producers are 19 and 20 years old, so 22 points in 58 games is not awful for an 18 year old who would have been a HS senior.

There are plenty of other guys who followed similar paths and have become NHL players. If you are going to take a risk on a kid like this, the 7th round is the time to do it.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I'm not sure I would just write the kid off yet? His first year in the USHL (2015-16) was not a PG year, it was his senior year of high school. If you look a little deeper at USHL rosters these days, the majority of their big producers are 19 and 20 years old, so 22 points in 58 games is not awful for an 18 year old who would have been a HS senior.

There are plenty of other guys who followed similar paths and have become NHL players. If you are going to take a risk on a kid like this, the 7th round is the time to do it.

Becker is extremely raw. He is going to take a lot longer than other players and even then he may never be a big point producer. He doesn't seem to have the offensive instincts. BUT, he has a great frame and work ethic - if he can improve his foot speed and skating - he could develop into a power forward. Wisconsin went from the garbage heap to a top program in two years - so it will be fun to watch how he does when he gets there.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007

I acknowledged the bolded and suggested that I am a big fan of the type of pick they made regardless of how it turns out...opposed to the guy who is an obvious 4th line at best, grinder type that Chia seemed to like in rounds 5-7 typically. He turned 19 this past June so last year would be HS + 1 year I believe...most people turn 19 their freshmen year of college...usually October at the earliest. Either way, not writing him off, just recognizing he's a long shot as any 7th rounder is and providing an update that he was not heading to Wisconsin until next year...I was under impression he was scheduled to attend this year and was curious given his performance last year if he'd crack the top 4 lines.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I'm curious if anyone can answer this. How many great defenseman currently in the NHL have come out of the QMJHL. I can think of kris letang and that's it. I know there have been some highly touted ones recently who haven't worked out like gormley. So im just wondering if our hopes are a little too high on lauzon based on his q production. I remember I thought xavier ouelett was going to be great and he hasn't been. Nathan beaulieu is eh, fine I guess. But who stands in that top 50 or 100 in the NHL from the Q outside of letang?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I'm curious if anyone can answer this. How many great defenseman currently in the NHL have come out of the QMJHL. I can think of kris letang and that's it. I know there have been some highly touted ones recently who haven't worked out like gormley. So im just wondering if our hopes are a little too high on lauzon based on his q production. I remember I thought xavier ouelett was going to be great and he hasn't been. Nathan beaulieu is eh, fine I guess. But who stands in that top 50 or 100 in the NHL from the Q outside of letang?

Vlasic, Kulikov, Beauchemin, Demers, Savard

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

How many great defenseman are in the NHL, maybe 20? If you divide those by 3 CHL leagues, 3 major U.S. college conferences, Sweden, Finland and the KHL, you get just about 2 great NHL defensemen per league.

The Q puts out great players. Crosby, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and McKinnon just off the top of my head. Where there are great forwards, there is great training for defensemen. The lack of prominent defensemen at the moment is just a fluke.

Edit: See post above. Vlasic and Letang get you to the expected two.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
How many great defenseman are in the NHL, maybe 20? If you divide those by 3 CHL leagues, 3 major U.S. college conferences, Sweden, Finland and the KHL, you get just about 2 great NHL defensemen per league.

The Q puts out great players. Crosby, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and McKinnon just off the top of my head. Where there are great forwards, there is great training for defensemen. The lack of prominent defensemen at the moment is just a fluke.

Edit: See post above. Vlasic and Letang get you to the expected two.

I don't think you should be splitting up the top ncaa conferences and dividing equally by 3 there. I'd lump college together. Vlasic is a good one. I never questioned the qs ability to pump out forwards. I just think compared to college, Europe, Russia and other 2 chl leagues, they are probably 6th when it comes to impact NHL defenseman. I wasn't really planning on counting a guy like kulikov who just played in the q for more NHL draft exposure (I assume). But if you want to count imports in this fine.

Doughty
Subban
Pietrangelo
Weber
Karlsson
Stralman
Hedman
Carlsson
Ekblad
Hanifin
Letang
Josi
Orlov
Muzzin
Ekman-larsson
Klingberg
Keith
Seabrook
Vlassic
Burns
Buff

Well after typing it out
It looks like the q is on par with ncaa and Russia.

Still the weakest of the 3 big junior leagues in Canada though. By a mile

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m putting Nico Hischier on my wish list for the B`s in next summer`s draft. Talented kid, drafted by the Mooseheads in first round (6th pick). Only watched him play a few times this season being early but he`s a kid to watch

Not sure precisely his weight, looks a bit slight, probably 6`1-6`2 but has little hesitation going to the dirty areas, great hands, excellent speed

Stay tuned

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
I`m putting Nico Hischier on my wish list for the B`s in next summer`s draft. Talented kid, drafted by the Mooseheads in first round (6th pick). Only watched him play a few times this season being early but he`s a kid to watch

Not sure precisely his weight, looks a bit slight, probably 6`1-6`2 but has little hesitation going to the dirty areas, great hands, excellent speed

Stay tuned

I really like this kid as well from the video I have seen. Great speed and acceleration. You get to see Maxime Comtois or have any thoughts on him? It looks like the top of this draft will be a step back from previous two years but Comtois and Hischier were the forwards I l have liked so far beyond th eobvious (Patrick). Don't know enough about the fins/swede forwards - Kostin, Tolvanen, Liljegren, etc

**Mods, can we get a stickied '17 draft thread going?

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Charlie McAvoy an impact player on BU blue line
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...r-blue-line/dm54HJdxbi9moUkTpiWFsO/story.html

“He may not be shaving every day yet,’’ said NHL director of Central Scouting Dan Marr, “but body structure-wise, you look from the neck down to the ankle, he’s got the Raymond Bourque frame.’’

McAvoy, a right shot, brings an all-around game to the Terriers. As BU coach David Quinn pointed out, nothing is missing; he can skate, he can shoot, he can handle the puck, he can think his way through the game.

Marr agreed.

“He’s a very dynamic skater, very fluid with his speed and his agility, and he’s got a strong game with the puck,’’ said Marr. “His hockey sense is for real, but what he also has is that physical package, that he can play with a little bit of an edge to where he’s not easy to play against.â€

Quinn knew as soon as he saw McAvoy as a ninth-grader playing in a summer tournament in Foxborough that he wanted him for the Terriers.

“I knew right away he was special,’’ Quinn said. “You know in college hockey, we’re trying to stop ourselves from signing 15-year-olds, but Charlie made it an easy decision.’’

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Zboril 4 point night in his first game back in the Q including OT winner

Just watched the highlights. Pretty sure he was on the ice for all 9 goals. Wouldn't doubt he played less than 25 minutes. Teed it all night. Pretty sure he got the game tying goal as well on a great read offensively driving the net. Both assists were rebounds off his point shots. Bad bad defensive play led to a couple goals as well so not a perfect game. I think his best strength is his transition game. Still question both his offensive upside and defensive focus. Certainly has the tools to be a force, probably the most enigmatic prospect Boston has. Could be a top pairing dman, could also be a bust.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
What's Seth Griffith's situation, he's had a strong season in Providence, he seems small but rather strong. Is he expected to play for the Bruins? I never see his name in any posters' projected lines, i have never seen him play, career AHL-er?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just watched the highlights. Pretty sure he was on the ice for all 9 goals. Wouldn't doubt he played less than 25 minutes. Teed it all night. Pretty sure he got the game tying goal as well on a great read offensively driving the net. Both assists were rebounds off his point shots. Bad bad defensive play led to a couple goals as well so not a perfect game. I think his best strength is his transition game. Still question both his offensive upside and defensive focus. Certainly has the tools to be a force, probably the most enigmatic prospect Boston has. Could be a top pairing dman, could also be a bust.

He wasn't on the ice for all 9 goals for certain because Gatineau's 4th goal was a penalty shot. He also was not on the ice for the 2nd Gatineau goal or the SJ GTG you referenced above. That goal was scored by a RH shot and Zboril is LH.

He had one missed coverage in front where his guy scored. The other goal was a tip from the hashes. Zboril was covering his man below that, so I'm not sure how that was a bad, bad defensive play on his part? He was ok on a 2 on 1 later in the game, where he went low and the Olympique player made a nice move, holding onto the puck and going around him (the goalie made the save). He could have played this a little better than he did, but not in the "bad bad" category.

As far as his offensive upside, what I took away from this is that with Chabot still in camp with OTT, Zboril was utilized in a more offensive role and he put up points. He was strong defensively last season according to posters who saw him regularly, so I would not question his defensive focus based on one game. He had a couple of bad plays during a game, something that can be said about most players in just about every game.

I think it would almost be better for Zboril's development if OTT kept Chabot all year and he was able to get more offensive looks. I have a feeling that Chabot gets returned to Junior in the last cuts or after 9 games, but I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really like this kid as well from the video I have seen. Great speed and acceleration. You get to see Maxime Comtois or have any thoughts on him? It looks like the top of this draft will be a step back from previous two years but Comtois and Hischier were the forwards I l have liked so far beyond th eobvious (Patrick). Don't know enough about the fins/swede forwards - Kostin, Tolvanen, Liljegren, etc

**Mods, can we get a stickied '17 draft thread going?

Comtois is a nice player, one of those rare kids who`s more than capable of playing in all 3 zones, nice touch around the net, very good hands

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
One of Sweeney's 3 first round busts Jakub Zboril with the game winner on a bomb in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad