Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I hate trying to judge anyone i dont know so i try to stay away from personal stuff other than to say who my favorite posters are. I hope dom knows hes one of my top 5 favorites

I never want to single out someones credibility when i say teams arent alowed to tamper with other teams players as far as rumor leaks go... or if i say draft success is below 50% successful outside the top 5 picks...

So my blanket statement... that all insiders and all draft experts should have humility because they are all wrong more often.

But never would i say i dont like the inside info... or i dont value prospect scouting. And absolutely i think some insiders and experts come across more credible than others

Im neither an insider nor an expert. But i try to be a student of the info i can get my hands on. Without people like dom sharing their inside and expertise, people like me would be basing our own hunches on garbage.

I just wondered why dom said id be here arguing right and wrong about prospect evaluation because thats someting ive never done in my 15 years here

Mike. Go back and read your own posts. Right and wrong come up a lot. I don' think the draft is as easy as right or wrong as it is hit and miss. And there is a difference.

You can make an argument for any player drafted in any spot at the time of the draft. And 99.9 percent of the time those arguments are correct on draft day.

But from June 30 onwards it' up to the player to become what what was seen in him. Often players don't achieve that. But that is on the player and not the team.

As for inside stuff I have told you a million times that GM's are talking almost daily. I have admitted in the past I get no info from the Bruins and it comes from outside the team.

I remember vividly the crap I took on Twitter and a little here when I tweeted the Bruins were preparing a buyout and an offersheet. Two days later the buyout happened but not the offer sheet. For reasons I don' have to explain to anyone. Then I had to go on our podcast and somewhat defend myself?

I had surgery last week. I come home to find a nasty message waiting for me. And I did something I never do. I sent Dan almost a complete list of my contacts. Even he was impressed.

So forgive me for not buying into the argument you have been making for a long time now. Just because someone says team x is talking to team y and then nothing happens doesn'
Change the fact that they talked.

As for the draft and prospects, I can honestly say I have at least one scout from every NHL team that follows my work. As a matter of fact, 3 Bruins. Why? Because I cover a league that they don't get to see. And I know the teams with multiple scouts that do, well they are the guys trying to be successful and knowing every possible player they can.

Anyway, I will leave it at that. Things are not always as black and white as you want them to be or try to make it out to be.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
What about the team's that didn't pick Boeser, they are the ones looking like they missed the pick.

Kid can shoot.

Anything is easy in hindsight as everyone knows that watches enough hockey. Players mature at different rates and it is impossible to get every pick right.

DeBrusk is looking like a sure shot for a top 6 forward and I'll take that anyway in his draft slot.

No one knows yet what Zboril and Senyshyn will do but if either makes a decent NHL career that draft is a win not to mention JFK, Carlo, Lauzon and Gabrielle.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
What about the team's that didn't pick Boeser, they are the ones looking like they missed the pick.

Kid can shoot.

Anything is easy in hindsight as everyone knows that watches enough hockey. Players mature at different rates and it is impossible to get every pick right.

DeBrusk is looking like a sure shot for a top 6 forward and I'll take that anyway in his draft slot.

No one knows yet what Zboril and Senyshyn will do but if either makes a decent NHL career that draft is a win not to mention JFK, Carlo, Lauzon and Gabrielle.

Yeah, it appears that Vancouver has a special player in Boeser. Good for them. If Debrusk and Senyshyn turn out to be regular 20-goal scorers and Zboril becomes a good second-pairing or third-pairing defenseman, then Boston should consider itself pleased.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I liked the Zboril pick (being one of the three picks) at the time and was A-OK with it. I had talked to Woodlief before the draft about him and he compared him to Emelin and he liked my comparison to Gudas (when I posted those here) some people thought that was really selling him low. At this point, I'd gladly take a (more mobile) Emelin or a (smarter) Gudas --both of those guys bring value to their team.

I think Zboril could end up being a really valuable 3rd pairing Dman (PK, physical presence etc) but all my viewings of him were all over the place (from "great" to "lost") so he is going to need some serious AHL time.

When I watched Zboril in preseason, I thought he skated just as good if not better than McAvoy. Just so silky smooth and technically perfect. I also thought he had excellent vision and stick skills. I can't recall a time where I thought his snarl was evident, but I'll trust those who have said the same as you in regards to his physicality.

I think the major difference or gap ( because it is there ) with Zboril and McAvoy is in the way they think and process the game. When McAvoy makes a mistake, it's usually a physical one, which is easy to correct. When Zboril is confident and plays his game, the kid looks like a stud. But like with a lot of kids his age, his focus tends to come and go.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me talk, Zboril reminds me of a more physical Jordan Leopold or even Jake Gardiner with his skating and puck skills.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yeah, it appears that Vancouver has a special player in Boeser. Good for them. If Debrusk and Senyshyn turn out to be regular 20-goal scorers and Zboril becomes a good second-pairing or third-pairing defenseman, then Boston should consider itself pleased.

Boeser is dynamite. Right hand shot, right wing, solid build and good hair too.

I think the Bruins made a good call with DeBrusk and Zboril I think can be a top 4 guy with some seasoning and the right partner to take him under their wing. Senyshyn is truly the wild card here; his physical gifts are excellent and his goal scoring pedigree is well documented. Right now, he's saying and doing all the right things to get better and take his game to where it should be to compete at this level.

But, I will admit that in my heart of hearts, when I watch Boeser play, I think to myself " god damn, what would have been if the Bruins selected DeBrusk, Boeser, and Zboril ". We would never have to worry about our 1st and 2nd line right wings for a very long time, as well as our top two young RHD.

Overall, the Bruins are moving in the right direction with their prospect pool. Heinen, DeBrusk, Bjork and Cehlarik all look like they belong anywhere in the top 9, with Pasta still a young kid himself and a bonifide star player at 21.

Reactions: DKH

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Mike. Go back and read your own posts. Right and wrong come up a lot. I don' think the draft is as easy as right or wrong as it is hit and miss. And there is a difference.

You can make an argument for any player drafted in any spot at the time of the draft. And 99.9 percent of the time those arguments are correct on draft day.

But from June 30 onwards it' up to the player to become what what was seen in him. Often players don't achieve that. But that is on the player and not the team.

As for inside stuff I have told you a million times that GM's are talking almost daily. I have admitted in the past I get no info from the Bruins and it comes from outside the team.

I remember vividly the crap I took on Twitter and a little here when I tweeted the Bruins were preparing a buyout and an offersheet. Two days later the buyout happened but not the offer sheet. For reasons I don' have to explain to anyone. Then I had to go on our podcast and somewhat defend myself?

I had surgery last week. I come home to find a nasty message waiting for me. And I did something I never do. I sent Dan almost a complete list of my contacts. Even he was impressed.

So forgive me for not buying into the argument you have been making for a long time now. Just because someone says team x is talking to team y and then nothing happens doesn'
Change the fact that they talked.

As for the draft and prospects, I can honestly say I have at least one scout from every NHL team that follows my work. As a matter of fact, 3 Bruins. Why? Because I cover a league that they don't get to see. And I know the teams with multiple scouts that do, well they are the guys trying to be successful and knowing every possible player they can.

Anyway, I will leave it at that. Things are not always as black and white as you want them to be or try to make it out to be.

I have defended eklund many times because gms job is to talk... talks go on all the time. Theres legitimate talks everyday. This is my consistent message for as long as ive been here

Thats why i say i like rumors

But when someone says talks equal results i ask where does that info come from? I know teams are forbidden to leak info so its not from them

Then where? We follow the trail and see players and agents might leak info... perhaps teams mention their own players... sometimes theres mistakes made... or maybe a wannabe big shot has too many drinks and blabs...

So yeah i can buy there are rumors out there with strong legitimitcy...

But we come back to teams arent allowed to tamper

So then i look at results... and everyone from mckenzie to dreger to eklund to lawton and even you have shared inside info in the past... on record... and all of you have had some success.

But everyone and that includes the big tv guys... get it wrong often.

My message in all my posts is... chill... accept that this is entertainment... no need to beat our chests and say we are future gms... or first to report a trade on deadline day... or have a guarantee that we know some 18 year old kid will make it. Be humble

Im here for fun dom and i own up every week to my wrong opinions of the past. I like to boast about the ones i got right. I might engage passionately in debates when someone else is right fighting... and i certainly offer guesswork on how i think the team will act reguards to lines, managing player developmrnt, signing contracts, making trades

But hopefully you dont feel ive ever tried to attack you here. Again, i will say theres a certain logic that prevents any insider from being right more often then not about their inside stuff coming to fruition. But i never doubt that insiders have a source. So my issue is more on the source than the insider. My issue is these sources are not the team and thus dont have the authority to make it happen.

Does that clarify my point? Sorry if youve taken anything ive said over the years as an attack. Again, let me say here i love your posting... appreciate your sharing... and acknowledge your connections. Anytime i see that youve posted i spend some of my time making sure i read it because you are a treasure here

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Kid can shoot.

If a GM hits on 50% of any pick between 4-62 that's what you want

The first 3 are usually lay ups although the Black Hawks during their building years hit on Kane (1) and Toews (3) but missed on Barker (3),

The Pens when they showed us the Penguins way (bwhahahaha) missed when they took Jared Staal at 2 over Toews.

That one pick would have has imo left Chicago still looking for Cup since 1960 and maybe Boston as well

The Penguins would have rolled out Crosby Malkin and Toews with another first overall Fleury in net

If Sweeney hits on 4 of 6 from 2015 draft that's very good

DeBrusk and Carlo look like they are going to have long NHL careers

I watched JFK at BU and Providence and I would think he's going to fall into that Derek Stefan type which is pretty good. I'm a fan of JFK

Senyshyn is so freaking fast and has such good size it comes down to hockey sense. I think he's going to make it - I don't want Benoit Pouliot stats either. He looks like he may be able to make good decisions at such high speed like Athanasiou can. That's a guy I see him as a comparable

He may need 100+ AHL games but when you watch the speed of the Devils many who don't possess the hockey skills as Senyshyn

Zboril and Lauzon I didn't watch like the forwards - they seemed to play their position well and show physicality and look for it without vacating their spots

Good news is Bruins can let them play a lot down there and by early second year you know pretty much

Heinen perfect example

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
My question with regards to hitting of on 50% 4-62, is when do you factor in the depth of the draft? 2015 is looking like one of the best drafts...ever? I haven't been following NHL drafts as closely in say the 80's and 90's (was a fan though), but I don't recall a year that had the potential to spit out so many top end players and even middle 6 F and top 6 D.

The closest thing to misses right now if you had to look at it are....Crouse, Zboril, Senyshyn. And knowing Neely and company I wonder how quickly they would have snapped up Crouse there for his size. Pure speculation on my part obviously. But when the top 24 picks of that year are almost all NHL players and you're sitting with 2 potential duds, that's a bad look man. Specially with the glut of NHL talent drafted from #16 to #23. That was a special special draft year and we crushed it trading for 3 picks. Could have changed the franchise forever with those 3.

Reactions: Bun cook and Estlin

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Like many posts about the 2015 draft there is a lot of white washing of facts here in order to make your point. Don't you think the Coyotes are wishing they took Boeser? San Jose? New Jersey? The 2015 draft was a deep and talented draft but 2 years post it looks about 50% for the first round, which is about normal.

In the first round it looks like the following players are definite hits:
McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Hanifin
Provorov
Werenski
Rantanen
Debrusk
Barzal
Connor
Boeser
Konecny
Beauvillier

I'm pretty down on Chabot. I don't think he has an NHL game, despite looking great in world juniors.

That's 13 out of 30 picks that look like hits 2 years post. There are a lot of guys like Meier and Zacha who hae been disappointing but show some promise that could push that number up, but I think the same could be said about Zboril and Senyshyn.

The point is I think its insane to talk about that draft, when most of the players are 20 YO, as generational. It certainly could be, but we just don't know that yet.

In 2003, the NHL had arguably its greatest draft ever (modern era). All but 2 players in that first round played 100+ games in the nhl. 2 years post, 2/3 of them were in the NHL. The point? Some of the biggest stars in 2005 appeared to be Patrick Eaves (20 goals) and Nik Zherdev (27 Goals). Brent Burns and Ryan Suter looked kind of like Brandon Carlo. We know very little about the 2015 draft at this point. Let's stop re-litigating it over and over and over. Let's not lament passing on guys that might be Ryan Getzlaf or might be Robert Nilsson. We have no idea.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Like many posts about the 2015 draft there is a lot of white washing of facts here in order to make your point. Don't you think the Coyotes are wishing they took Boeser? San Jose? New Jersey? The 2015 draft was a deep and talented draft but 2 years post it looks about 50% for the first round, which is about normal.

In the first round it looks like the following players are definite hits:
McDavid
Eichel
Marner
Hanifin
Provorov
Werenski
Rantanen
Debrusk
Barzal
Connor
Boeser
Konecny
Beauvillier

I'm pretty down on Chabot. I don't think he has an NHL game, despite looking great in world juniors.

That's 13 out of 30 picks that look like hits 2 years post. There are a lot of guys like Meier and Zacha who hae been disappointing but show some promise that could push that number up, but I think the same could be said about Zboril and Senyshyn.

The point is I think its insane to talk about that draft, when most of the players are 20 YO, as generational. It certainly could be, but we just don't know that yet.

In 2003, the NHL had arguably its greatest draft ever (modern era). All but 2 players in that first round played 100+ games in the nhl. 2 years post, 2/3 of them were in the NHL. The point? Some of the biggest stars in 2005 appeared to be Patrick Eaves (20 goals) and Nik Zherdev (27 Goals). Brent Burns and Ryan Suter looked kind of like Brandon Carlo. We know very little about the 2015 draft at this point. Let's stop re-litigating it over and over and over. Let's not lament passing on guys that might be Ryan Getzlaf or might be Robert Nilsson. We have no idea.
This is a fantastic post

We had our favorites and I think that's the issue - sometimes we conveniently forget the misses

I am Sweeney biggest fan but I was stunned with that first round but euphoric with round 2

I couldn't even talk with the Frederic pick lol but when he took Lindgren I was jacked

Sweeney has me in What the hell mode in round 1 and reels me back in round 2

That said DeBrusk looks legit and Senyshyn makes Miles Wood look slow and he's just as big

My reach was Colin White anyways in 2015

Overall I think the Bruins will score well although no Pastrnak or McAvoy talent but 3-5 solid top 9 forwards and top 4 D

Reactions: burstnbloom

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I have defended eklund many times because gms job is to talk... talks go on all the time. Theres legitimate talks everyday. This is my consistent message for as long as ive been here

Thats why i say i like rumors

But when someone says talks equal results i ask where does that info come from? I know teams are forbidden to leak info so its not from them

Then where? We follow the trail and see players and agents might leak info... perhaps teams mention their own players... sometimes theres mistakes made... or maybe a wannabe big shot has too many drinks and blabs...

So yeah i can buy there are rumors out there with strong legitimitcy...

But we come back to teams arent allowed to tamper

So then i look at results... and everyone from mckenzie to dreger to eklund to lawton and even you have shared inside info in the past... on record... and all of you have had some success.

But everyone and that includes the big tv guys... get it wrong often.

My message in all my posts is... chill... accept that this is entertainment... no need to beat our chests and say we are future gms... or first to report a trade on deadline day... or have a guarantee that we know some 18 year old kid will make it. Be humble

Im here for fun dom and i own up every week to my wrong opinions of the past. I like to boast about the ones i got right. I might engage passionately in debates when someone else is right fighting... and i certainly offer guesswork on how i think the team will act reguards to lines, managing player developmrnt, signing contracts, making trades

But hopefully you dont feel ive ever tried to attack you here. Again, i will say theres a certain logic that prevents any insider from being right more often then not about their inside stuff coming to fruition. But i never doubt that insiders have a source. So my issue is more on the source than the insider. My issue is these sources are not the team and thus dont have the authority to make it happen.

Does that clarify my point? Sorry if youve taken anything ive said over the years as an attack. Again, let me say here i love your posting... appreciate your sharing... and acknowledge your connections. Anytime i see that youve posted i spend some of my time making sure i read it because you are a treasure here

Mike, this will be my last response, because I and I am sure everyone here is getting tired of this crap.

But here you go again with this right wrong crap, and this tampering crap.

First off, if a GM were to ever come out publicly (let's say Sweeney) and says "I am currently in discussions with Ray Shero about acquiring (insert player name here)" it is NOT tampering under NHL rules. Bylaw 15 (tampering) strictly forbids NHL teams from showing any interest in signing an RFA or UFA outside the regular negotiating periods. There are even examples of this. Look no further than Jim Benning and the Canucks where the team was fined when Benning openly stated that he'd have interest in signing Stamkos and Lucic. (That's tampering). What he was NOT fined for is publicly stating he was having discussions with the Habs about trading for P.K. Subban.

Both are public records Mike. Look it up. You have made this comment for years and I am sorry to say you are absolutely incorrect.

Teams are not forbidden from leaking info BTW.

Jimmy Murphy put out an article or a tweet (can't remember which) that the Bruins could be sending Matt Beleskey to Vegas and people quickly chimed in with "look at the source."

But then two sources (one close to the Bruins) told me the same thing. In fact, I got more detail than probably Jimmy Murphy had. As I always do, I messaged Wally and gave him the info I had and the name of the source and why I didn't think it would happen (noise being made in the front office).

The fact of the matter is Mike, it didn't happen and I know why. But because it didn't happen, does not mean that Don Sweeney did not have several discussions with the Golden Knights.

Which brings me to this:

Again Mike, I don't know any "insider" other than Eklund (if you consider him one) that comes out and says X deal is going to happen until after it has happened and is waiting for league approval, or a player to waive a NMC (see Iginla). Sometimes it comes from the team, sometimes from an agent who has been asked by the team if the player will waive (teams don't ask the player they ask the agent), sometimes it comes from the scouts who pound the table and tell the GM "don't trade a first rounder this year".

It's fair to say Eklund is wrong because he comes out and says X deal is going to happen. It's unfair to say Bobby Mac, or Darren Dreger or even myself are wrong because we say "The Bruins are in discussions with X about Y" and then it doesn't happen.

Not happening doesn't mean there were no talks.

Apologies to everyone.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
This whole debate is in the main boards again, every fan base is having fun shiiting on the picks.

Anyways here is some interesting stats updates on some players picked before ours. Senyshyn has more pts then a few of them in the AHL. Pick 12 looks like a reach if I ever seen one, more so then Seny. Most of if not all will be in the NHL soon and I am going wait and see, wish we afforded that grace with our picks. This is all about time and who elevates his game.

Stats up to Monday Nov 20th

3rd pick -Dylan Strome 2 NHL games this year, 0 pts ( having a good year in the AHL)
6th pick - Zacha, so far 5 pts this year in 15 games
9th pick - Timo Meier - 4 pts in 17 games
11th pick - Crouse - 7 pts in 8 ahl games, 0 in 7 NHL games
12th pick - Gurianov - 6 pts in 15 AHL games
Total NHL pts = 9 pts in 41 man games played

DeBrusk - 18 NHL games - 9 pts
Senyshyn - 14 AHL games - 8 pts (more then Crouse and Gurianov)
Zboril- 12 AHL games - o pts plus 7
Carlo - 19 NHL games - 4 pts, (2nd rounder)
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson- 15 AHL games - 10 pts, 1 NHL game - O pts
Jeremy Lauzon - 14 AHL games - 2 pts, plus 7
Total NHL pts =13 in 38 man games played

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
When Senyshyn makes it we can put this to rest

Boston didn't like Barzal for whatever reason- probably questioned his D or 3 zone game

Just a guess

JFK will be in the lineup at the latest by next October

They expect and need Bergeron and Krejci to perform until Frederic and JFK arrive

Barzal vs Senyshyn seems to be shaping up and Barzal has looked very good

Don't discount Senyshyn folks

When you watch the Devils just pin back there ears and take off you realize that Senyshyn is as fast as all of them

2015-16 and 2016-17 OHL coaches selection as best skater

Divver said he's making plays and with all due respect to the HF community I would put his knowledge above 95% of us when it comes to all things hockey

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This whole debate is in the main boards again, every fan base is having fun shiiting on the picks.

Anyways here is some interesting stats updates on some players picked before ours. Senyshyn has more pts then a few of them in the AHL. Pick 12 looks like a reach if I ever seen one, more so then Seny. Most of if not all will be in the NHL soon and I am going wait and see, wish we afforded that grace with our picks. This is all about time and who elevates his game.

Stats up to Monday Nov 20th

3rd pick -Dylan Strome 2 NHL games this year, 0 pts ( having a good year in the AHL)
6th pick - Zacha, so far 5 pts this year in 15 games
9th pick - Timo Meier - 4 pts in 17 games
11th pick - Crouse - 7 pts in 8 ahl games, 0 in 7 NHL games
12th pick - Gurianov - 6 pts in 15 AHL games
Total NHL pts = 9 pts in 41 man games played

DeBrusk - 18 NHL games - 9 pts
Senyshyn - 14 AHL games - 8 pts (more then Crouse and Gurianov)
Zboril- 12 AHL games - o pts plus 7
Carlo - 19 NHL games - 4 pts, (2nd rounder)
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson- 15 AHL games - 10 pts, 1 NHL game - O pts
Jeremy Lauzon - 14 AHL games - 2 pts, plus 7
Total NHL pts =13 in 38 man games played
Why they went to the main board is beyond me. Of course everyone is crapping on the picks. What they expect. It's always a pissing match when you go there about your team. The vultures are waiting with their professional views.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Why they went to the main board is beyond me. Of course everyone is crapping on the picks. What they expect. It's always a pissing match when you go there about your team. The vultures are waiting with their professional views.

Hindsight is so convenient, everyone missed out on Datysuk and Zetterberg, they went what in the 7th round. I wanted nothing to do with Fabbro (rich kid-no drive) or Chabot (another Hamilton). Looks like we lucked out with McAvoy. I had no idea he would elevate this early and be able to play the way he does. You win some you lose some but our odds increased by sheer numbers, that story is never seen.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Boston didn't like Barzal for whatever reason- probably questioned his D or 3 zone game

Just a guess

They expect and need Bergeron and Krejci to perform until Frederic and JFK arrive

When you watch the Devils just pin back there ears and take off you realize that Senyshyn is as fast as all of them

Divver said he's making plays and with all due respect to the HF community I would put his knowledge above 95% of us when it comes to all things hockey

One of the B’s Western scouts (the primary one I believe?) is Dean Malkoc. As far as I can tell, he’s the one that ID’d Heinen and Carlo in recent drafts and I’m sure there are other players he had input on as well.

As you said Dan, there were definitely reasons why the B’s (and Malkoc and other teams) passed on Barzal three times in 2015. I don’t think lack of familiarity was an issue either. The B’s obviously scouted him because they signed Barzal teammate and Seattle 13/14 Captain Justin Hickman to a FA deal in 2015. They likely stumbled on him scouting Barzal, Theodore, and other Seattle star players.

I would love to sit down with Malkoc and the B’s FO and see what the thought process was on Barzal. Not so that I could read them the riot act, just because I think it would be an interesting discussion and provide some insight at what the scouts look for. I have no idea why the B’s passed on Barzal. Could be that they just liked other players better? Could be that at the time they appeared to be shorter on scoring wingers than they were on average sized playmaking C’s? Could be that they didn’t like his interview? Most likely it was a combination of these things.

Whatever the reason, he’s not a Bruin, so why don’t we just worry about the prospects they do have in the system?

ps Someone earlier (Colt?) mentioned the infamous “go ahead and pass on me and see what happens” interview comments. Maybe Barzal did say that, but I have heard this story attributed to a number of draft prospects over the years. It’s most likely urban legend more than anything else.

Reactions: PB37 and DKH

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
I am very happy with DeBrusk, 6 pts in his last 5 games. On the ice in the end of the game vs the Pens, that is a complete player not a power play specialist.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am very happy with DeBrusk, 6 pts in his last 5 games. On the ice in the end of the game vs the Pens, that is a complete player not a power play specialist.

In Heinen, DeBrusk, and Bjork (haven’t gotten to see it as much because of the injuries) the B’s have three 200 foot players that they will be able to put out in any situation. It spoke volumes to me yesterday about how the B’s feel about 43 and 74 that when Cehlarik went down, Pasta shifts over to DK and JD to become the “offense” line and Nash moves up with Heinen and Bergeron to form Cassidy’s shut down trio.

Both of these guys are here to stay.

Reactions: Spoked-B and DKH

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
as of earlier this week, he was out of the lineup with an injury. seems like one of those guys who
you have to pencil in for 60ish games a year.

It's amazing how Boston's injury bug has filtered down to Providence with their top prospects like Lauzon and Zboril.

If the Bruin have had as bad an injury bug as this to start the season I can't remember it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I think I have been pretty lucky. Not trying to brag, but my record is above the median. But I have a lot of time on my hands. More than most. When I am at a game, my DVR is set to record every other game going on. (I am strictly talking OHL here).

So, I've watched each draft eligible player 68 times plus playoffs. (minus injuries/suspensions and that kind of stuff). So there's none of this watching him two or three times and trying to get a read. And no 'catching him on a bad night stuff. Obviously, the more you can watch a kid, the better handle you can get.

I also spend time talking to those around him. If you read my profile on Evan Bouchard, you will see I spent some time talking to Knights GM Rob Simpson. In cases like that you get the good, the bad and the ugly. Of course, a lot of it Is off the record (I am sure as you progress in your venture, you will find that as you build relationships, those people are willing to share info with you and trust you). You can't just go out and print it, but it reflects in you ranking those players.

Last spring you were the only person that even mentioned Morgan Frost and said you had heard a couple teams had him pegged in round one. You listed a bunch of his pros even though his size and numbers weren't off the charts, but you saw him live and said to me keep an eye on him he's going early and bam philly makes a deal to get him. That's a gift.

BruinsNetwork

It's amazing how much conflict I have seen stirred up from saying the lack of cohesion in Zboril's game and development thus far is "concerning" even though it's come from several NHL and amateur scouts.

Unlike a player such as Senyshyn, he's been put in a position to succeed since opening night. I wrote a piece before the season started that said he was well on his way to being a top-4 NHL defensemen, I'm also on record saying that he has looked good in Providence.

While he hasn't looked great, he's looked good in Providence, that is true. But, zero points is still zero points. What he does lack, however, is the ability to piece a consistent, and full game together.

Zboril is legitimately struggling to bring both his offense and defense to the rink every night, and others are taking note. It's early, I get it. But it is rather sickening seeing lame excuses being made such as "oh, D from the Q take much longer!" If that's the case, why isn't Lauzon struggling as well?

I understand it's early, and I am still high on the player. However, the fans on here, Reddit & Twitter must accept that there are actual concerns surrounding his game. There's a chance he might just not have it.

(PS - I'm not specifically singling anyone out in this thread or anywhere else, just felt this prospects-thread was a good place to address the topic)

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Lauzon has 2 points and Zboril 0 points and have looked ok in my limited viewings ,they both have a long way to go though and I wouldn't put one ahead of the other nor would i put money on NHL potential vs bust on either of them,it's a long season with hopefully an even longer playoff run. We'll know more then

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Just a guess

I hated the Senyshyn pick because of it's location, that said the thought of a 6'2 200 plus pound fast scoring RW is very appealing, thus far he seems to be a disappointment and I worry that the Bruins scouts out thought themselves because of his TOI on a loaded OHL team in his draft year and so far he hasn't improved greatly from that season (statistically at least, I have only seen him play a few times)

My question for you would be is he concentrating on his overall game that was suppose to be a red flag in his draft year and that is one of the reason his numbers are down? Is he looking to make plays rather than shoot which was his roll in his draft season?

I have no problem with a player taking a few years to develop, I like the Red Wings philosophy when they were winning of slow development and only bringing up a player when he was ready. If it takes another full year for Senyshyn to get it by playing in Providence I understand but when you look at who Boston passed over for a lower rated prospect I understand and to a certain level agree with people being concerned about his development.

Sweeney, whom I really dislike and have zero faith in, doesn't help himself by being less media friendly than most GM's. Getting out and talking about Senyshyn, Zboril, Frederic, etc would help him. He is seen and heard from less than bigfoot.

Reactions: Bun cook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad