Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
Cedric Pare with two goals and two assists tonight, he now has seven goals on the season compared to five last year in 40 less games. Maybe they saw more than meets the eye here with this player.
i hope so but it sounded like people who watched camp thought he looked pretty brutal

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Cedric Pare with two goals and two assists tonight, he now has seven goals on the season compared to five last year in 40 less games. Maybe they saw more than meets the eye here with this player.

saw him play a few weeks ago here, he`s a nice junior player, IF he were to make it to the NHL (and I`m not one who thinks he will), at best, he`ll be serviceable 4th liner. Can`t help but like the kid`s hustle though, never stops moving his feet, gets involved in both ends of the rink

His role this year has changed with the Dogs, being put into more opportunities to put some pts up after the graduation of many players from last years squad.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
saw him play a few weeks ago here, he`s a nice junior player, IF he were to make it to the NHL (and I`m not one who thinks he will), at best, he`ll be serviceable 4th liner. Can`t help but like the kid`s hustle though, never stops moving his feet, gets involved in both ends of the rink

Any idea how his physical game is? Obviously, he has good size, at 6'3'' 205 lbs.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Any idea how his physical game is? Obviously, he has good size, at 6'3'' 205 lbs.

Doesn`t mind getting/going into the dirty areas, will use his frame well to protect the puck. He plays reasonably physical, not a bruiser but one thing I noticed this year in the Dogs visit here was he`s clearly gotten stronger on the puck, more confident and as I said, uses his big frame to protect it well.

I`m not close to being nearly qualified to be a scout and maybe, just maybe he`ll find another gear as he moves onto the pro level but as I mentioned, if I were a betting man, most likely a 4th liner with a NHL club, 2nd/3rd with an AHL team. Sounds underwhelming but I do like the kid, hard not to, tireless worker on the ice

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Doesn`t mind getting/going into the dirty areas, will use his frame well to protect the puck. He plays reasonably physical, not a bruiser but one thing I noticed this year in the Dogs visit here was he`s clearly gotten stronger on the puck, more confident and as I said, uses his big frame to protect it well.

I`m not close to being nearly qualified to be a scout and maybe, just maybe he`ll find another gear as he moves onto the pro level but as I mentioned, if I were a betting man, most likely a 4th liner with a NHL club, 2nd/3rd with an AHL team. Sounds underwhelming but I do like the kid, hard not to, tireless worker on the ice

The nature of the draft. Most of them don't make it so not really underwhelming. He was a 6th round pick, after all.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The nature of the draft. Most of them don't make it so not really underwhelming. He was a 6th round pick, after all.

yep, nothing lost if he doesn`t pan out. Still loads of time, I`ve seen loads of kids taken out of Junior who I didn`t give one thought to at the draft table for many teams, something clicks, next thing you know they are playing regular minutes in the NHL and contributing. Ya just never know.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Anybody who doesn't think Vatrano is fast should watch the last 4:30 of the Kings game. Explodes off the face-off to intercept a puck won back to Doughty (first step quickness) then outraces everyone the length of the ice to get to the loose puck for a shot on goal. Brick comments on both his quickness and speed at the next break and shows the play again.

Also, if he's credited with the tip on the 2nd goal of the game he'll be on an 18 goal pace while playing less than 10 minutes a game.

Vatrano is fast. Absolutely. Krug is the guy who is thought of as fast but is disappointingly slow. He is quick (moves well laterally but not in a straight line) but not a fast skater.

Reactions: bryson21

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
i hope so but it sounded like people who watched camp thought he looked pretty brutal
I didn't think his skating was there but Matt Bennings wasn't either that first camp

Donato went up against Sabres first round pick Casey Mittelstadt tonight

I think he's going to be really good

He and Eichel not to shabby

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Vatrano is fast. Absolutely. Krug is the guy who is thought of as fast but is disappointingly slow. He is quick (moves well laterally but not in a straight line) but not a fast skater.

Correct. Krug isn't slow, but straight line speed is surprisingly average. Excellent in tight turns and as you said, laterally he's very quick. Sometimes I wonder if he slows himself down on purpose in open space.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Correct. Krug isn't slow, but straight line speed is surprisingly average. Excellent in tight turns and as you said, laterally he's very quick. Sometimes I wonder if he slows himself down on purpose in open space.
I been reading you for seems like 10-15 years and talk and see GDZ regularly and you two could run amateur and pro scouting as well as anyone.

Joe will comment about prospects in college, junior, or AHL and months or years later the player is as evaluated

The Krug comment is insightful for one thing and makes a lot of senxe

Reactions: PB37

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

yes sir. reminds me of samsonov in some ways - people always thought he was fast, but he was just ridiculously quick
and shifty. straight line speed was average, IMO.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
yes sir. reminds me of samsonov in some ways - people always thought he was fast, but he was just ridiculously quick
Who's future in hockey you take

Sweeney
Claude
Chiarelli

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Who's future in hockey you take

Sweeney
Claude
Chiarelli

bruins certainly have a heck of a future with what's in the system. but you have jacobs lurking,
so never know what that means. i'd go with peter assuming he sticks around edmonton for a while.
mcdavid should be a guaranteed ticket to a cup. as for clode, hope he misses playoffs every year by
1 point. great guy, but F the habs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Kinda the opposite of Vatrano, who in a straight line is quick and fast, but it's turns/cross-overs/lateral mobility that isn't as strong.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
hey dom - any idea what's been up with studnicka? i saw he went through a pretty prolonged stretch with little offense.
nice to see him on the upswing again.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
hey dom - any idea what's been up with studnicka? i saw he went through a pretty prolonged stretch with little offense.
nice to see him on the upswing again.

Yup.

Domenic Commisso (you remember him) was out with an injury that coincided with Studnicka's slump. He came back and they didn't play together for a while. They were re-united and bam. The two have some great chemistry. I just watched their last game, JS23 should have had two goals, one was called back that shouldn't have been. He lost it on the ref and got tossed.

He's also almost always out against the top lines, plays the top PK unit, but has been dropped to the second PP unit.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I wonder if the reason behind calling up O'Gara rather than Grzelchek. is because they weren't planning on giving much minutes to O'Gara and Postma, and would rather Grzelchek stay in Providence where he'll play way more minutes. Bottom line, Bruins view Grzelchek with a high value than O'Gara.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
I like O'Gara better then Grizz, Robbie is coming along and is gaining confidence, he is a mobile smart player with size. Krug seems to slow down when he carries the puck as he is looking to dish it off. He is not one to deke out people or challenge them but wants to get back on dee, he likes to just gain the red line and maybe blueline. As opposed to McAvoy who will go all the way but he is also not a super fast skater but keeps his tempo up end to end. He just seems to glide past ppl easily, reminds me of Coffey. Where as Krug puts a lot of effort into it, probably the shorter legs, choppy stride. Backes and Acciari may be the slowest on the team in both quick steps and pace. Krug is better then Vatrano turning in directions due to being a defense man. Vatrano is a fast straight line skater, dee have to adapt quick cross overs and be ready to turn on a dime. opening the hips up each time, not something most fowards do or have to other then Marchand, Spooner, Bjork and Pasta.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
and shifty
. straight line speed was average, IMO.

I was at Ristuccia for Samsonov's first practice as a Bruins rookie (Joe Thornton also that day). I went home and told my buddy Dave about this Samsonov kid who I swore went sideways in mid-stride while carrying the puck. I was blown away.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008

I think his straight line speed is well below average. Watch next time he loses a puck at the point on the PP. There's almost nobody who can't out-skate him in a straight line. I love his ability to control the point on the PP, but God forbid he loses the puck at the point and has to chase someone back down the ice - Chara like in his pursuit.

Now, DeBrusk has me very excited with his speed. I'm liking Bjork, DeBrusk and Heinen as wingers on the top three lines when we get a little healthier. I think we are going to be tough to beat when Backes, Marchand and Spooner are back. My fourth line is Schaller-Szwarz-Acciari. Add MacAvoy's development, Chara's resurgence, and excellent D-depth. Now, Tuukka needs to get his head in the right place and Khudobin needs to keep playing well. All the prospects we have . . . wow! Very excited about the future and reasonably optimistic about this season.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I been reading you for seems like 10-15 years and talk and see GDZ regularly and you two could run amateur and pro scouting as well as anyone.

Joe will comment about prospects in college, junior, or AHL and months or years later the player is as evaluated

The Krug comment is insightful for one thing and makes a lot of sense

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :laugh:

I try not to comment on a kid unless I have seen a good amount of them. I watched a lot of Marchand and Sobotka (in PRO) and probably saw 15-20 Heinen games at Denver (on TV). It’s a little harder when it’s not live, but I saw enough good things from Heinen to think he was going to be good. Sometimes you just know. I only saw Reinhart 5/6 times in Bridgeport, but knew he was going to bust (and told you that). Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, even Czuczman all looked better to me in the games I saw.

Then Chia went and dealt a bunch for him :laugh:

I was stunned that EDM went for GR given what I had seen. Guessing that they were overly impressed by the draft pedigree and thought that coming back to the town where he was so good in Junior would help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad