Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Good, bad & ugly from Providence Bruins weekend

"Zach Senyshyn was effective on Saturday night, with no points to show for it, then he was better on Sunday as he assisted on all three Providence goals. The youngster is showing off his speed as he figures out how to find open ice."
He is fast I'll say that - I been a couple of times and he scored once. He's young and first pro year so it's encouraging he's showing 'supersonic' speed per Divver and making plays.

Also good to hear JFK playing faster.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He is fast I'll say that - I been a couple of times and he scored once. He's young and first pro year so it's encouraging he's showing 'supersonic' speed per Divver and making plays.

Also good to hear JFK playing faster.

I hope he starts to do things that stop giving me rico fata flashback

This lust for speed thing... its ok if a guy can do his thing at top gear but too often speed gets in the way of smarts

Honestly i think a team that plays at high tempo with well schooled purpose to their game is something great but having 1 or 2 guys that skate faster than the play can follow never impresses me much.

For every pavel bure or conor mcdavid i remember im sure there was a glen carr or a rico fata that just never managed to do much

Speed is an asset for sure but by itself its not enough

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Anyone in Sweden that has been able to see Victor Berglund at all? He one of the 2017 7th round picks for Boston, and a guy it seemed like all the European scouts were excited to draft. He's 18 years old playing in the Allsvenskan. Currently has 5 assists in 13 games played. It puts him tied for 19th for defenseman in that league for points. Allsvenskan is what, a league below the SHL?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Donato Off to Dazzling Start for Harvard
Donato has lit up the score sheet at every level. In his final two years playing at Dexter School in the USHS, the Scituate, Mass., native racked up an astounding 131 points over 61 games. Harvard University was the next step, where, after his sophomore season, the dynamic two-way forward was named the Ivy League Player of the Year. This season, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound forward has come flying out of the gates.
The junior has scored a point in each of the Crimson's first five games, and has become an indispensible player for 13th-ranked Harvard. Donato leads the team in goals (3) and points (7), and has been a key contributor on special teams with two power play goals and a shorthanded goal - all the while recording a 62.9% faceoff win percentage.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

This lust for speed thing... its ok if a guy can do his thing at top gear but too often speed gets in the way of smarts

Honestly i think a team that plays at high tempo with well schooled purpose to their game is something great but having 1 or 2 guys that skate faster than the play can follow never impresses me much.

For every pavel bure or conor mcdavid i remember im sure there was a glen carr or a rico fata that just never managed to do much

Do you get to watch Senyshyn a lot? If you don't then I don't understand your concern and why you would compare him to another player just because that player also had speed.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Donato has lit up the score sheet at every level. In his final two years playing at Dexter School in the USHS, the Scituate, Mass., native racked up an astounding 131 points over 61 games. Harvard University was the next step, where, after his sophomore season, the dynamic two-way forward was named the Ivy League Player of the Year. This season, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound forward has come flying out of the gates.
The junior has scored a point in each of the Crimson's first five games, and has become an indispensible player for 13th-ranked Harvard. Donato leads the team in goals (3) and points (7), and has been a key contributor on special teams with two power play goals and a shorthanded goal - all the while recording a 62.9% faceoff win percentage.

has a lot of of Bergeron in him. Add to JFK having some Krejci and Frederic having some prime Backes centering, these could be your next generation of studs down the middle

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not to mention Fata was 5 inches shorter. He was also projected as a top ten pick.

Saw Fata listed anywhere from 5'10'' to 6'0''. It's not just the speed with Senyshyn. It's the fact he's 6'3'' 200+ lbs. that goes along with that speed. He has the shot, and the skill. He proved it in juniors. He's being brought along slowly in Providence. It sounds like he's been progressing every game. Yes, he certainly has bust potential but the upside is there with him.

How many players in the NHL are 6'2''-6'3'', 200lbs with elite speed and aren't dangerous? This isn't meant to be a D.B type point. Legitimately curious. The two that come to mind right away are Pacioretty and Kreider. Both have that unique combination of being fast with size.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Do you get to watch Senyshyn a lot? If you don't then I don't understand your concern and why you would compare him to another player just because that player also had speed.
Twice so far - looking more for assertiveness

Heinen clearly had it from his first shift

Last year he was in the side car

Player comparisons are fun but traits visual or implied from watching are what's important
For instance
Cehlarik is a different player this year - big jump in performance

Senyshyn has given reason for optimism

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Twice so far - looking more for assertiveness

Heinen clearly had it from his first shift

Last year he was in the side car

Player comparisons are fun but traits visual or implied from watching are what's important
For instance
Cehlarik is a different player this year - big jump in performance

Senyshyn has given reason for optimism

@BruinsNetwork has been great on the Senyshyn stuff and I've seen him reference DeBrusk's start in the AHL to Senyshyn, saying both were brought along slowly, and thus, the results weren't there right away but it helped (at least it helped in JDB's case. He took off last year once he got comfortable and now he's in the NHL, and looking good).

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
@BruinsNetwork has been great on the Senyshyn stuff and I've seen him reference DeBrusk's start in the AHL to Senyshyn, saying both were brought along slowly, and thus, the results weren't there right away but it helped (at least it helped in JDB's case. He took off last year once he got comfortable and now he's in the NHL, and looking good).
Senyshyn and JFK will benefit from the AHL

Look at a guy like Kucherov who's one of the best 10 forwards in the game - first year 52 games 9 goals 9 assists 18 points

Never hurts to get experience and have an organization exercise patience

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Saw Fata listed anywhere from 5'10'' to 6'0''. It's not just the speed with Senyshyn. It's the fact he's 6'3'' 200+ lbs. that goes along with that speed. He has the shot, and the skill. He proved it in juniors. He's being brought along slowly in Providence. It sounds like he's been progressing every game. Yes, he certainly has bust potential but the upside is there with him.

How many players in the NHL are 6'2''-6'3'', 200lbs with elite speed and aren't dangerous? This isn't meant to be a D.B type point. Legitimately curious. The two that come to mind right away are Pacioretty and Kreider. Both have that unique combination of being fast with size.

I'm all in on Senny. I think he's going to be a stud.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

ive seen players with my own eyes... doesnt help me much cause im no scout. i wish i was cause id love to be paid for watching hockey but honestly i suck at scouting

what i am good at is listening to others... remembering things i learnt before... giving weight to a variety of indicators... finding formulas that can be useful indicators.

does it make me right 100% of the time! or even 50%? or even 25%

ive been here 15 plus years now and the oldtimers know ive been wrong about at least 100 kids ive either predicted good things for ( cameron mann, shayne stevenson, kyle wanvig) or that i cast doubt on (david krejci, kris versteeg, hal gill)

so no... anytime i raise a concern about how a kid is progressing... its never based on my own scouting. i dont know the kids determination to improve. im not privy if hes working on one particular element of his game. i dont know if hes sick with the flu or had a fight with his girlfriend.

i make all my evaluations after learning whatever available info there is on a kid and then try my best to match it with other comparables.

not an exact science for sure but sometimes we learn from the past if we make an effort

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
ive seen players with my own eyes... doesnt help me much cause im no scout. i wish i was cause id love to be paid for watching hockey but honestly i suck at scouting

what i am good at is listening to others... remembering things i learnt before... giving weight to a variety of indicators... finding formulas that can be useful indicators.

does it make me right 100% of the time! or even 50%? or even 25%

ive been here 15 plus years now and the oldtimers know ive been wrong about at least 100 kids ive either predicted good things for ( cameron mann, shayne stevenson, kyle wanvig) or that i cast doubt on (david krejci, kris versteeg, hal gill)

so no... anytime i raise a concern about how a kid is progressing... its never based on my own scouting. i dont know the kids determination to improve. im not privy if hes working on one particular element of his game. i dont know if hes sick with the flu or had a fight with his girlfriend.

i make all my evaluations after learning whatever available info there is on a kid and then try my best to match it with other comparables.

not an exact science for sure but sometimes we learn from the past if we make an effort

So, in other words, you haven’t watched Senyshyn play.

It would have been a lot quicker if you just said that.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Good to hear that JFK and Senyshyn are starting to pick it up. Agree that at least a full AHL year for both will be beneficial

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I used a Bobby Schmautz in high school - almost impossible to stitck handle

I'm all in on Senny. I think he's going to be a stud.

he could turn into a michael grabner type guy. ridiculous wheels, tons of chances, cashes enough to score 20 a year.
maybe the odd 30+ season if all lines up. still a long way to go - he's a long-track development guy. but if he can
round out the rest of his game, i like his chances.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So, in other words, you haven’t watched Senyshyn play.

It would have been a lot quicker if you just said that.

probably seen him as often as 98% of the people here that don't get to providence games and don't live in Ontario... on the other hand I watched a lot of merlin melenowski and len esau play growing up in meadow lake and going to school with lenord. I saw a lot of josh green and some joe colburn as I went to university in Camrose and lived in the area. saw a few Viking cup games... saw my cousin play some for the saint albert team here near Edmonton.

sure didn't make me an expert on these guys. I know a lot of people here want to bang their chest and tell us they are experts. but I go to the draft sites and I see the record of how successful teams drafting is. honestly even the professional real nhl teams are getting it wrong more than 50% of the time

a typical fan here will cry and bitch and moan that boston cant get the first round pick to be a success... but guess what... no one else can either

every single team gets it wrong MORE OFTEN then they get it right

if the real nhl teams that pay these scouts to watch the games... interview the players and the players coaches... cant get it right more than 50% of the time than I'm ok if I don't get it right more than 50% of the time too. and I don't honestly feel that watching 3 games or 5 games or 7 games is going to make much difference.

hell you and I might have both watched a guy like ron francais play 100 times... and maybe a guy like yzerman play 100 times... and maybe a guy like joe sakic play 100 times... whats the odds we would rank them the same best to worst? and if we asked 2 other people to rank them whats the odds they would agree too

rating hockey players success is a very very very very subjective thing even when we are talking about hof careers that are 1000 plus games.

I try to limit my own judgement to those playes who I feel are winners and will help a team win... and those players who I think take up spots in the lifeboat

I obviously hope nothing but the best for any bruin prospect... but I see a numbers game crunch coming when we simply wont be able to break X++ number of kids into the lineup. in order to let the strong survive and thrive some of the weaker chattle is going to have to be let loose.

will senshyn find a magic buttom that makes him one of our winners? a piece to the puzzle that cant be lived without? we do have a need for a rh shot winger... so that gives him a chance... but I wish I saw him attempting to become more of a 'bruin' type of guy... like debrusk worked on and succeeded.

and I wish I wasn't being reminded so much of a guy from the past like rico fata when I hear comments about senshyn and his style of play and how hes progressing.

I still am predicting that Bjork/debrusk have the best odds of the current kid wingers to make an impact here long term. I like cehlerik chances to become number 3 on my list but still want to see him do it at nhl... and I'm leaving the 4th spot for senshyn over heinen despite heinens success this year.

could I be wrong on all 4? sure... but it doesn't cost me anything to throw my guess work opinion out and people who think I talk too much can always put me on ignore

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
probably seen him as often as 98% of the people here that don't get to providence games and don't live in Ontario... on the other hand I watched a lot of merlin melenowski and len esau play growing up in meadow lake and going to school with lenord. I saw a lot of josh green and some joe colburn as I went to university in Camrose and lived in the area. saw a few Viking cup games... saw my cousin play some for the saint albert team here near Edmonton.

sure didn't make me an expert on these guys. I know a lot of people here want to bang their chest and tell us they are experts. but I go to the draft sites and I see the record of how successful teams drafting is. honestly even the professional real nhl teams are getting it wrong more than 50% of the time

a typical fan here will cry and ***** and moan that boston cant get the first round pick to be a success... but guess what... no one else can either

every single team gets it wrong MORE OFTEN then they get it right

if the real nhl teams that pay these scouts to watch the games... interview the players and the players coaches... cant get it right more than 50% of the time than I'm ok if I don't get it right more than 50% of the time too. and I don't honestly feel that watching 3 games or 5 games or 7 games is going to make much difference.

hell you and I might have both watched a guy like ron francais play 100 times... and maybe a guy like yzerman play 100 times... and maybe a guy like joe sakic play 100 times... whats the odds we would rank them the same best to worst? and if we asked 2 other people to rank them whats the odds they would agree too

rating hockey players success is a very very very very subjective thing even when we are talking about hof careers that are 1000 plus games.

I try to limit my own judgement to those playes who I feel are winners and will help a team win... and those players who I think take up spots in the lifeboat

I obviously hope nothing but the best for any bruin prospect... but I see a numbers game crunch coming when we simply wont be able to break X++ number of kids into the lineup. in order to let the strong survive and thrive some of the weaker chattle is going to have to be let loose.

will senshyn find a magic buttom that makes him one of our winners? a piece to the puzzle that cant be lived without? we do have a need for a rh shot winger... so that gives him a chance... but I wish I saw him attempting to become more of a 'bruin' type of guy... like debrusk worked on and succeeded.

and I wish I wasn't being reminded so much of a guy from the past like rico fata when I hear comments about senshyn and his style of play and how hes progressing.

I still am predicting that Bjork/debrusk have the best odds of the current kid wingers to make an impact here long term. I like cehlerik chances to become number 3 on my list but still want to see him do it at nhl... and I'm leaving the 4th spot for senshyn over heinen despite heinens success this year.

could I be wrong on all 4? sure... but it doesn't cost me anything to throw my guess work opinion out and people who think I talk too much can always put me on ignore

I'm not sure I am following you?

What it seems that you are saying to me is that scouting is an inexact science at best, even when you watch the players...so it's OK for you to just say whatever you like about players and see if it sticks?

Two wrongs make a right sort of thing?

You can do whatever you want, but don't expect people to take what you say seriously when you haven't even watched the players in question.

Call me crazy, but when I want an opinion about an OHL guy, I am going to ask Dom, who sees hundreds of games. When I want an opinion about a USHL kid, I will ask Kirk, who sees them play.

ps It doesn't surprise me that you don't like Heinen as much as the others. His game is very subtle, the kind of thing you have to see to appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad